General Aircraft Owlet

Well I might not be able to do too much building at the moment but it has allowed me some time to consider my next project to hit the building board when it finally becomes available. I came across an aircraft that I don't recall being done before which seems to have bags of character despite it being little known and for hat matter not a particularly successful history. The aircraft in question is the General Aircraft Owlet, based on the Cygnet II a design to be used as a basic trainer for tricycle undercarriage aircraft that were not so common at the time of its conception. The Owlet first flew in 1940 and was targeted as a primary trainer for the Royal Air Force but failed to gain any interest and eventually the only type built crashed in August 1942.

3173595534_b6cfa5267d_z.jpg

To me that looks like a pretty aircraft screaming out to be modelled

generalaircraft-owlet-1941-18.jpg

Quite a few promotional posters can be found but the aircraft never made it past number 1. Anyway with good proportions I figured a model of around 55" would make for a pretty nice sport scale design and should be suitable for a brushless 3 cell package without to much fuss so out with the crayons or in my case switch on the computer and make a start.

g a owlet.jpg

I have been on this from time to time for a couple of weeks now although the plan above is a glimpse from a week ago we are now pretty close to it being complete with most elements thought through so getting close now to committing some parts to be cut. As usual I'll get the bulk of parts cnc cut which will take a few weeks but will make things so much quicker once I actually get started gluing bits together. More as it happens. Linds

It's nice to see something completely different for a change and I must admit I'd never heard of the Owlet. I'd be tempted to scale it up to a nice round 1/6th as this is still only 63" span, and there are plenty of pilots suitable at this size.

Watching with interest. thumbs up

Hi Bill I agree it would scale up very nicely indeed, I did at first think of going even bigger but with other large projects already in process albeit somewhat stalled at the moment I liked the idea of this size as it becomes very affordable using a fairly low cost power set up and sits nicely at a size for potential free plan issue and it does not take up too much space to store and that's more of an issue right now as well. At 55" if I can keep the weight down then a 2200 3 cell power plant could be on the cards, that being said there is plenty of space in the design for a bigger pack so I figure that bit out a little later in the build once I get a feel for how things will end up.

Yup, sounds about right Tim, hope to have a word with those nice guys at Slec and get some parts sorted later this week, few more details on the drawings first though. If they look right then they usually fly right so I have high hopes for this one. There should be an opportunity for some nice bits of detailing as well without going overkill and adding loads of weight. The downside is that there was only one made so only one colour scheme, camouflage green brown on top and light blue (not sky) underneath but that's ok as I quite like the warbird stuff so its win win.

Colin, I was left by my father when he passed away the entire series of Aircraft of the fighting powers books, whilst the 3 view drawings might not be perfect they are a masterpiece of reference to the multitude of aircraft that were put forward or came into service during the 1939 -1945 period. The Owlet was such a case sourced in these books and tracked down over the net for the background and a few more pics and details. All part of the fun in designing for me. Linds

Hi Lindsay. I've got 1943, 1946 and 1947. Although there is some criticism of the three views, I think that a lot of them are accurate and I'd use them. Wonderful, atmospheric publications.

As the Owlet was a single prototype, would not the underside have been matt yellow? I'm sure that the yellow "P" would have featured on the fuselage. I love drawing these planes up, need more time to turn them into reality, but I'm getting there slowly. One day I'll do a Wicko Warferry.

I must admit I expected a yellow underside and it would have been logical to see the "P" designation somewhere, obviously more digging required on the "P" but the light blue seems to be quite definitive. It might be that the prototype never crossed the military bureaucracy as it did have a civil registration but a bit more digging should hopefully resolve the matter. Wicko Warferry, yes very pretty cabin aircraft as I recall, The Miles Falcon was another close call, maybe next time. Linds

Lindsay

It was indeed civil registered on the 8 August 1940 G-AGBK but the register also shows it removed by order of the Secretary of State on 8 July 1941.

If it did crash in 1942 this suggests it might have been acquired by the military and given a service number, a process which would require it to be removed from the civil register.

Just found the Flight Magazine did an article on the Owlet on 28Nov 1940, available to view on line. It makes for an interesting read and seems to have been considered a bit of an ugly duckling but the flight performance was considered pretty positive. Loads of good photos for detailing as well - result. The original was impressed into RAF service as a trike trainer for the Douglas Boston and given serial no. DP240. Linds

Thought I would share my 3D CAD efforts for his new design. The front is designed around a centre ply crutch that locates all the forward main formers and locates the ply laminated block for the angled forward nose leg

g a owlet cnc fuz 3d 1 l todd.jpg

6mm square longerons then locate remaining formers and help create general shape before sheeting all over

g a owlet cnc fuz 3d 2 ltodd.jpg

Itchy fingers to get started now. Linds

Posted by David Hardaker on 22/05/2015 20:19:21:

An interesting type to model, quite unique.

The real thing wasn't thought out too well in terms of pilot protection in the event of an overturn.frown

An old saying - "never fly the Mk 1 version of anything ! "

And never forget your kit was made by the lowest bidder

Hi Colin, yes all seems to be falling into place nicely but I'm sure the odd niggle will crop up here and there to keep it interesting. I have actually increased the fin and tail plane by 10% from scale just to improve stability a little although in profile it looks small of course there are two fins so the area is actually quite good. Time will tell of course.

Could not resist doing a bit more 3D work whilst getting various bits and pieces organised for the build to start in a few weeks. It's been a good opportunity to thrash out the design issues up front which has helped get a clear view in my mind how I want to tackle some of the features.

g a owlet 3d 28may 15.jpg

I was conscious that the fuselage area around the wing seat changes from vertical and angles in progressively towards the cowl so accommodated this with a 6mm inset into the formers that will allow for the shapes change and then the 2mm sheet will overlap and around the formers. The added benefit being a thicker wing seat area as well. I also sketched out the tail linkage for the rudder which will be a hidden snake connecting to a central bell crank. the vertical fins have a tongue and groove slot for added strength onto the tail plane.

The wing centre section has also been given some thought as to layout and support for the main undercarriage and spars.

g a owlet wing cs 3d may 15.jpg

I have been able to use a stock trailing edge section which is a bonus in keeping things simple

Could not resist linking the two items together

g a owlet 4 3d may 15.jpg

Also worked out the battery / tank bay hatch which will be the top cowl separating at a natural joint line but gives access back to the rear of the front cockpit dashboard so should provide ample space. Linds