General Aircraft Owlet

Getting towards the end of the painting work now, got the fuselage roundels done at last which always seem to take ages due to multiple paint masks so that just leaves the red white and blue strips on the fins left to do.

s2830018.jpg

Also decided I had better get on and sort out the battery location and fixing. their were a number of ways to do this but I wanted something that was serviceable and therefore could be removed easily for maintenance to either motor, esc or more likely the steerable nose wheel linkage. I settled on a ply box design that will screw down onto two ply plates, one fixed within the cowl area at the rear and another actually located onto the motor mount assembly.

s2830011.jpg

With the motor and mount in position this gives a nice study mounting bracket for a ply box to house the batteries neatly and securely above the nose wheel linkages and just aft of the motor.

s2830012.jpg

With a 3cell 5000mah lipo in place there is still loads of room to increase to 4 cells if required with plenty of cooling air around everything.

s2830013.jpg

Next job is finish off the battery box and then a few more detail bits and pieces, paint the stripes on the fins and hope the weather improves so I can finally get the acrylic resin finishing coat down that will finally seal the paint work. Not too much more to do now, maiden flight looming over Christmas it seems. Linds

Advert

Much appreciated chaps. I have really enjoyed this one, whilst other larger projects are on going albeit slowly, the next design is a lot simpler, drawings done, parts cut and building commenced but will just hold back posting a blog till this one is complete but it is again something different for me. Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Well still fiddling about with some details. I have been wanting to make a dummy landing light but was looking around for something for the lens and was really struggling to track anything down although I was tempted to go with Danny's method on his Chipmunk until by blind chance I came across some jewellery parts in a craft shop. Perfect size and with the aid of some balsa dowel I found a good compromise and the lenses only cost £2.99

s2900001.jpg

When finished this was glued into the cut out and a piece of clear acetate was cut to size to wrap around the leading edge with a 2mm overlap around the cut out area. I also cut a section of paint mask film and applied this to the outside face. The acetate was then glued and taped down onto the wing with rc modellers glue and masking tape and left to dry.

s2920002.jpg

Once dry I added some rivet glue droplets and then a coat of paint to match in with the wing

s2950002.jpg

Also took the opportunity to cut out the windshields and get these glued into a slot cut into the fuselage with a hacksaw blade and again glued in place with rc modellers glue.

s2950001.jpg

Few other bits still to do but should get some work done this weekend now including looking at the power set up and checking the cg ready for the maiden flight.

Linds

glad to see you used the proper undersurface paint .It's proper designation is Sky type " S " Not an ugly bird to my eyes .If you want ugly have you seen a Wiek W1. Here is a pic or two...

https://uk.images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A9mSs2FAemtWG6YAbRxLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTE1aGhudHRmBGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlVS0NDMDFfMQRzZWMDc2M-?p=Wecik+W1&fr=mcafee

There is also an Ercoupe which might remind you of something LOL

It was a great choice to start with Lindsay and you've brought to our attention one of those planes that didn't make it, even though probably being just as good as some that did. It gives us the chance to see in the air a plane that we never would by any other means. I'm all for that and realise what a long way I'm still off from doing anything as good.

Can't wait to see it flying, I can't see it doing anything other than fly very well. It's a plane that I was aware of, but you've brought it back to life.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the weather has delayed any thoughts of flying but I realised still a few bits and pieces to update starting with the exhaust stubs which are made from cut lengths of ABS tube simply glued into holes on the underside plate of the cowl.

s3010023.jpg

Little paint to detail and looks ok I think

s3060005.jpg

Still more surface detail bits I can add over time but back to the main radio and esc installation. A new Turnigy plush 60amp esc has been fitted alongside the battery plate made from 3mm light ply which is screw fixed to ply rails fitted to the rear of the motor mount and spanning the fuselage at the rear of the hatch opening. This gives a huge space for up to 5000mah 4s packs.

s3060006.jpg

I did some power tests and due to prop size have decided to go for a 4cell lipo set up to keep the prop diameter down to 11 inch max to maintain reasonable ground clearance and get the 550-600 watts I am looking for so two new 4000mah 4cell 25c packs on order. flight tests soon I hope. Linds

• 2 weeks later...

Well its a pilot and will do for now, also got a chance to set up the cg and do a final power check. A bit heavier thanks to the added detail work and comes in at 5.5lb exactly but should be fine and balanced perfectly on my estimated cg point with a 4cell 4000mah lipo so that was a result. With the Turnigy 3548/4 1100kv motor on a 11x8 apc I am getting 600watts at 40amps so well within the 60amp esc and gives room for further experimentation so just over 100watts per pound model weight an should be quite sufficient for a scale performance. now just need the weather.

s3060009.jpg

s3070006.jpgFinished and ready for maiden flight

s3070002.jpg

Linds