Buying Fasst Rx

Erfolg

I use a 8FG Fasst, Tx

I understand that there has been some substantial changes to all Tx operational requirements for new sales. In that they have to listen to establish which parts of the 2.4 spectrum are presently free.

My Tx does not do this, neither do I intend changing the start up of my Tx, even if it is possible, to be compliant for new sales regulations.

The question can I purchase the same Frsky Fasst compatible Rxs and be confident that they will function as the Rxs sold in the past for my Tx?

Advert

From what I've read of the linked information, FASST can be, and is being, made compatible with the new legislation. The biggest problem for FASST users though may be that some FASST receivers are not fully compatible with the updated FASST transmitters. The obvious answer for existing FASST users is, don't update your transmitter's firmware. Here's a quote from the article on the US site (sorry, I can't figure how to reduce the font size):-

"Originally Posted by Harri Pihl View Post

Edit: 6th December 2014:
WARNING: The V5 firmaware update from December 2014 contains FASST protocal changes for the european region coded 14SG/FX-22 transmitters to comply new EU rules (listen before transmit). After the update the non Futaba made FASST compatible receivers might lose the link. Users have reported this problem with the FrSky TFR6 receiver and this probably affects also other FrSky FASST combatible receivers as well as rebranded versions. It's possible that the problem also affects other FASST compatible receivers like Simprop, Corona, Orange etc. The problem affects only the european region coced 14SG/FX-22. The region can be checked from SYSTEM -> INFO -> AREA menu.

Edit: 7th December 2014:
WARNING: The V5 firmware problem has been reported also with the Simprop Gigascan FASST compatible receivers."

The older FASST Tx, using the original chip set, cannot be updated. Only the later Tx, 14SG and 18mz(?), can be updated to a form of FASST that is complient with the new regs. Just make sure you don't buy any Rx that are 'EU new regs' complient as only genuine Futaba Rx will work with both systems. Third party Rx with the 'EU new regs' firmware will not work reliably with the original FASST system.

I am not interested in updating my Tx or Rxs to be compatible with the latest EU regulations.

My reasons are, that it remains legal to operate equipment which was comply ant with the previous regulations and just as importantly my existing equipment continues to operate effectively.

It is on this basis i am asking the question, will new, (that is in the foreseeable future), purchases of Frsky Rx continue to operate effectively.

Posted by Erfolg on 03/06/2015 10:46:35:

I am not interested in updating my Tx or Rxs to be compatible with the latest EU regulations.

My reasons are, that it remains legal to operate equipment which was comply ant with the previous regulations and just as importantly my existing equipment continues to operate effectively.

It is on this basis i am asking the question, will new, (that is in the foreseeable future), purchases of Frsky Rx continue to operate effectively.

Yes - even if you had issues binding your TXs to the new RXs, they can still be flashed with the old pre-ETSI change firmware.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 03/06/2015 21:43:10:

Friend has bought a couple of Frsky Fasst Rxs for his FASST 10c (i.e. Tx is pre the update) and they seem to work fine, but we have no way of knowing what firmware they have on them.

If they were imported into the country this side of Xmas they will have the new firmware - they could not be legally sold otherwise. If they wer old stock from 2014 or earlier, they will be the original firmware.

Edited By MattyB on 03/06/2015 23:28:43

Oh dear, I've just realised I recently bought a FrSky TRFSP receiver to use with my Futaba 10CG transmitter because I wanted PPM. It should be the new spec. since it was bought this year, but seems to be working okay for the moment. Is there any simple way, apart from crashing, to test for compatibility?

This thread makes me chuckle!

Of course compatible Tx and Rxs will work safely! We don't need to jump on the bandwagon and update all the time!

Personally, I'm thinking of getting a 27mg foamie jet to fly up our horse field.

Unless you are planning to fly a quad in a city, don't worry about interference!