Paint for Spitfire

Hi all.

I have been trying to get hold of some 'accurate' colour paint for use with my airbrush and compressor.

I want to use:

RAF dark green, dark earth and sky.

I have contacted Fiteraces (Warbirdcolors) and Kings Lynn Models (hobby flight warbird paint). They are both out of stock of some of the colours with no plans to re-order any time soon.

Does anyone know of any other paints that are good to use?

Advert

Geoff if you can get the BS or RAL code you can always get it mixed for you. I do this a lot now and use acrylic and then seal with a clear lacquer after and works well. The DIY shed do a tester pot size for under £4 so its not too expensive and that will be plenty for a few models! Linds

Hi Geoff, You can easily find the colour codes on the web. My local car bits shop, will mix any colour as long as you have the numbers

There are systems that you need to mix hardners, thinners in pretty precise proportions. I'd definately avoid them, they are super toxic, and you need a real protective mask etc.

Stick with acrylic

ernie

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

The other paint I was considering using was Flair Spectrum paint but they don't do sky. I am guessing the duck egg blue is their equivalent colour. Would anyone recommend this paint?

Linds, interesting idea about getting it mixed - I hadn't thought of that. Is that the acrylic emulsion that I paint my walls with? Also, do you thin it with water in order to spray it (and does that effect the opacity). I am not familiar with DIY shed, is that an 'Up North' thing. I might investigate B&Q as they mix paint. Sorry for all the questions. Nice looking spitfire by the way.

Geoff...

P.S. My Spitfire is electric so fuel proofing is not an issue.

Hi Geoff, last batch came from B&Q (DIY Sheds) yup standard emulsion is acrylic (water based), I dilute with windscreen cleaner fluid and just spray, gives good opacity and then just a clear lacquer finish. Recently used Deluxe Materials Acrylic Finishing Resin and this has worked really well and fuel proof so far at least for my petrol engines but not so sure for glow fuel. Do all your weathering etc before the lacquer. Linds

Hi Linds, is it the Deluxe Eze-kote you used? I tried a bit brushed over some dulux samples like yourself on the underside of my F-15 foamy, it has a satin sheen. I have also brushed the dulux paints with a fine sable brush thinned with washer fluid, it does go on well. I havent tried spraying it yet but i have read that it works well.

I would not expect it to be glow proof IF it is similar to Poly-c, at least not the 10% I use.

If you want a matt finish instead of using Eze-Kote or Poly-C you can use Ronseal "Diamond hard floor varnish" its exactly the same stuff but available in gloss, satin or matt finished - you want the clear stuff obviously I dont think they ever did Spits in "Dark Oak" schemes......

Hi Geoff,

Just came across this thread, I have used Flair Spectrum paint on many of my models, but sadly the new paint is not as good as the old Flair paints sold by Flair. I have been using paint from King's Lyn models and found very good and about to order some for my latest project and wanted to use the paints that you wanted.

So I am reading this with interest, never used acrylic paint before on a model though.

Lovely Spifire Lindsay

Regards

Robert

Hi All.

Allan. Thanks for the heads up about the Lifecolor paints, I had not come across them before.

Having not spray painted a model before, I am not sure what sort of coverage you would get out of a 22ml pot (my Spitfire is 1/8th scale - 55inch span)

On the subject of thinning, all the windscreen washer fluid that I have used is blue - would this not effect the colour when mixed with the paint?

Thanks all.

Geoff...

I sprayed my foamy/glassed Eurofighter with Lifecolor paints, which went fine. The problem I had was the top clear coat. I picked the correct shade of light grey for the Eurofighter. When I sprayed a Matt sealer coat, it turned it a lot darker, ruining the shade. This is not exclusive to this make of paint, I think it's because I used a Matt colour coat. A similar colour aerosol spray which was satin did not do this. I don't know if this just applies to grey shades, or if I did something wrong. I suggest a test piece before committing to the model!

Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 13/06/2015 10:09:58:

Hi All.

Allan. Thanks for the heads up about the Lifecolor paints, I had not come across them before.

Having not spray painted a model before, I am not sure what sort of coverage you would get out of a 22ml pot (my Spitfire is 1/8th scale - 55inch span)

On the subject of thinning, all the windscreen washer fluid that I have used is blue - would this not effect the colour when mixed with the paint?

Thanks all.

Geoff...

Coverage seems to depend on colour, in my experience, and of course what colour your base coat is. I've done my Mosquito's colours, using Halfords grey primer, with only one pot of each, but a Cub-yellow scale fuselage on my 550-size heli took 4 or 5 pots before I could get the colour uniform all over.

For thinning Lifecolor paints for spraying I use Lifecolor thinner. Don't know if it's just pure water, of if it's got some additive in it. I use about 20% thinner.

Posted by Steve Jack 1 on 08/06/2015 14:30:19:

Having used the Warbird Colours paint that Fighteraces sell, my advise would be to use Tamiya or Vallejo acrylics and then varnish or fuel proof as required.

Steve

Hi Steve

Could you elaborate on the problems that you seem to have experienced with the Warbird Colours paints? I bought a bunch of those to do some spraying, based on very good reports on them and have yet to use them. If there are any pitfalls I'd like to be aware of them beforehand.