this hobby needs more young blood

john melia 1

I'm just getting started this year at the age of 50+ now having plenty of spare time I needed somthing to keep the brain cells ticking as I can't do some of the hobbies I used to do. My last interest in models was airfix and rubber powered balsa at about 19. I couldn't afford to go into RC control so my interest faded.

So far getting into the hobby has been ok, there is plenty of information and help at the clubs and on the Internet. But it can also be confusing to a newcomer. As for attracting young blood I think the image of the hobby is going to have to change if you want to get an influx of larger numbers. It's all Facebook, active club websites which you can post on all help with communication for spreading the word. The hobby needs to be a tad more exiting and fun and not have the possible enjoyment suffocated out of it. Kids have always been competitive with each other it's part of growing up so cheap foam home built jobs that don't mind getting broke come to mind which can be raced with each other, if there's enough interest then race against other clubs locally. Thinking about it, I would love it as well.

Advert

I can understand that it would be nice in principle to have a broader age spectrum.

With respect to youngsters, there are some very practical issues. The most obvious is the CRB checks, many older people including myself are just not interested in partaking in these schemes. This aspect will not change, as far as i can see. On that basis a parent will always need to be present, not all parents can or will make themselves available for this role.

I also recognise that many aspects of life come into favour and then out of favour. These range from Royal Tennis, Croquet, scrimshaw, whittling Qouits, Stamp collecting. Some of these hobbies were popular due to circumstances. Ay present traditional aeromodelling are not as popular, I think as much due to there being a wider range of opportunities that are accessible to all age groups, without the restrictions that modern day aeromodellers across the whole range.

Will it matter if aeromodelling becomes very much a minority activity, to me personally yes, the population as a whole, defiantly not.

RC aeromodelling has changed dramatically, in all respects, from lower cost RC equipment, the foam models, the quads, in some respects aeromodelling is continuing in the spirit of my youth. That is my models were flown in parks, waste ground, with no insurance, not a member of a club, enjoyed in the company with other youngsters. Perhaps the very antipathy of the the BMFA and the club approach.Some of these youngsters may morph into grumpy, process and regulation obsessed old people that I have become and joined.

I content myself in enjoying flying my models, not overly concerned of the future 20 years down the line. Partly because I cannot accurately predict tomorrow, never mind a year. Who would have though 10-15 years back the renaissance of cycling.

There is one aspect that I feel reasonably confident about and that is regulations and imposed procedures do not fit well with youth, however necessary.

We are very fortunate at our club (just under 50) to have a membership age range from 10-82 (we have approximately six under the age of 17 - with only one being the son of an adult member). We have had a good response from one our local ATC units and have started to put in place a joint development program with the Squadron to help teach some of those cadets interested in taking up aeromodelling. Hopefully some will enjoy the hobby and keep at it or like myself came back to it at a later date (pressures of education, work, females , bikes, cars , full size etc has meant a twenty plus year break).

Its very much down to the attitudes of the individual member in welcoming and mentoring youngsters. Our club policy requires a parent/ guardian to be in attendance (although some of the Instructors have gone down the CRB replaced route - can't remember the name at the top of my head).

The advent of cheaper R/C gear has made it more accessible ( not to mention quads and FPV both of which we are quite happy to allow to be used and watching some of these kids showing what they have put together has been an education in its own right.)

Rules/regulations/procedures and general etiquette are explained in full including the reasons for having them. . We have to date not had any issues as members are encouraged to self regulate and to have individual and collective responsibility to safety (It was recently pointed out to me by a young member that I had forgotten to carry out a range check !)

Something I did forget to mention was that around where we live (within four mile radius) approx 85% of council owned land (park , open spaces etc have by-laws banning the use model flying - I noticed in one the other day that no ball games were allowed either - assume they mean football / tennis etc!) So the club route has been a natural choice for me. (we also used to fly in the playing fields at my local comp but these have been flogged off for development!)

Posted by john melia 1 on 23/06/2015 10:09:10:

out of all these replies , how many posts are actually from youngsters i wonder (apart from me of course wink), ...... one ? Says it all really doesnt it

Edited By john melia 1 on 23/06/2015 10:10:23

I'm glad you put the winkie smiliey in there John - for a moment I thought you were serious!

OK, a contenous question: why do you specifically want more young people to join the hobby? 'More people', I can understand, but why more young people in particular?

Now, I've absolutely nothing against young people joining the hobby - I'm not against any demographic joining the hobby. But I think this emphasis on particularly young people is:

1. Futile - it ain't going to happen guys.

2. Misgiuded - if what we really want (when we get down to it) a vibrant hobby with good numbers of new people joining.

Its futile because this activity has absolutely zero visibility on the radar of young people - nor, in general do they want to change that. You can't buck large scale societial changes. Whether we like it or not, understand it or not, aviation to today's young people is about as exciting as train spotting! Now there will always be the odd exception - among young people there are a few independent minds just like there are in the rest of the population. But just like in the rest of the population they will always be a minority - except among aeromodellers of course! And we have 4 younsters in out club - not bad out of a membership of just under 60. Butb they are the exception among their generation. If you ask them why more young people don't come along they simply say "Their not interested - they think I'm odd for doing this"! So it isn't that there are lots of young people out there who would be very interested - if only they knew about the hooby. It isn't that we have an "information job" to do. They are simply not interested - and we can't change that.

Its misguided in my view because it wastes valuable resources chasing a group we will never catch. And when we do they tend to be transient. In my experience the majority of those few youngsters who do get involved stay involved until they are about 17-18 - then drift away. So they are not - in he main - a route to growth. Some may return later - many don't.

So, where is the route to growth? In my opinion its in the 40-55 year old group. Without any special effort on our behalf we have recruited many new members from this group. These are the people with the disposable income, and increasingly the time, to pursue the hobby. Kids have flown the nest, work is maybe a less important now and they feel they have reached the level in their career that they are happy at - or at least will settle for!

Now you might say "But what about the future - what about 25 years time?" Well, I say let's let 25 years time sort itself out! If we can recruit 40-somethings there will still be plenty of them about then and who knows how things will change by then? I'm not saying neglect the future - I'm saying fighting a campaign we can't win today is not the best way to protect it! I believe we would be serving the future of our hobby better by putting our limited resources into something that might make a difference.

So, hence my question - why young people in particular? To reiterate, I have nothing against them joining the hobby - just the opposite - but if you are suggesting this is what we should do to secure the future - I disagree!

BEB

The views of BB pretty much coincide with my own.

There are some aspects which we have not touched on, that is where are the missing 30-50 year olds. There are some, perhaps not as many as you would anticipate. There are possibly two aspects to this area, the first is family life and the second is careers.

In this case of families, children often have their own interests, which may diverge from their parents. Influenced, of course, although often they are their own person. Boys can well be sport orientated particularly football, as an example. Girls are often similar, be it gymnastics, swimming. Talented children will require the support of their parents, often requiring many hours at training grounds, sports halls etc. The more academic talented will often be found reading, playing some creative games and so on. Then there are the family days out, be it at a zoo, see side,walking or just being somewhere as a group.

Then there is the career dilemma, promotion requires many hours devoted to getting your patch of responsibility under control, looking for the accident coming down the road. Then you will have your eye on the next step. All the while, you are aware that others have similar ambitions.

No wonder the family man is pretty scarce, unless you are both very talented and are lucky to have family members with similar interests.

This could explain why it is not unusual for us old fahrts (excuse my German) to become reborn modellers and some who always fancied the idea.

There is one more aspect that is changing us modellers and that is technology.

I do think that the ARTF in a polymer airframe will become the norm, as long as there are enough of us about to justify the tooling costs.

The other aspect is control systems. We are seeing the first stages of airborne telemetry, which could become far more extensive and standard in RC packages. The other is both stabilisation and pre planned procedures, both cable of taking over, or supporting the flyer.

What is frightening me is that contary to trends and prejudices I have a potential issue with my 8 year old granddaughter. On hearing that my wife and I are going to move nearer to my daughter and son-in-law, said, what a wonderful idea, grandad can help me build models and fly them. She has already confiscated my Guillows Thunderbolt.

She has my Fokker Triplane on her window sill, plus a Multiplex fox we fly in their very large garden.

Will I have time to flycrying 2. Having youngsters flying models could be counter productive, and not all will fit the profile you expect.

I think getting started in our hobby (particularly for the young) has never been very easy. Speaking from my own experience, I never knew anyone else that was in the least bit interested in flying models when I was aged 7, up to young teenage years, so I was forced to go it alone with everything. The only magazine that I remember buying was Aeromodeller (in the mid 60s), but that was way over my head, far too technical and a bit stuffy for a youngster. Very few useful books in the public library as well.

I think I remember one or two articles that appeared in comics like Valiant and Eagle about model aeroplanes, and it's more than likely that 'Blue Peter' had some coverage, but in general, information was very thin on the ground for me. There was a small model shop in North Walsham, where we lived, that sold American North Pacific Sleek Streaks (1/3d or 2/6d for the big one) that satisfied my craving for something that actually flew well (early small rubber powered ARTF really). Had a go at a few KK kits, but they were far too complex for an unsupervised under-10 to have much success with.

As eager as I was, I was unaware of any model flying clubs close to home and it wasn't until my parents moved back to London, that I finally saw my first R/C model being flown at the Wanstead club around 1970. Being a glutton for punishment kept me going, and of course, the dream of actually having a model aeroplane under one's own control. My experience is far from unique, as chatting to club mates of a similar age to myself, often reveals a similar agonising route to eventual success,.

I suppose these days, with the prevalence of remote controlled consumer goods and wireless this and that, kids or even thirty some-things, don't see the 'magic' of R/C in the same way as those of us who grew up at a time when one had to get out of a chair to change channels on the TV! Even aviation itself is regarded as a run of the mill, everyday activity. Perhaps modelling appears somewhat passé to those who didn't get caught up in the excitement of seeing the classic jets, Concorde's development and the space race, some fifty plus years ago? I wonder how many kids build Airfix kits these days and could identify say six different aircraft types?

By all means encourage young people into our wonderful hobby if a glimmer of interest is shown by them, but I do agree that real growth in the hobby will come from an older generation with some spare cash and more time on their hands.

I agree totally with BEB, you are barking up a dead tree trying to get our youth away from TV, online computer gaming and bending their necks down to stare at the mobile phone. Their interest level in flying is zero, and it is on a minus level when it comes to building. This hobby has seen its heyday come and now it's gone. Most of us grew up with very limited watchable TV, films were a trip to a cinema, winter nights were dismal and even summer nights could be boring with nothing to do. Building a hopefully flyable model was perfect for a winter evening. Flying on summer evenings. That world no longer exists and a few on this forum need to get a little reality and accept the fact. Remember for 99.9999% of today's youth if the thrill is not instant then it is seriously pants and wasting their time, they have far more important things to do than learn how to control a model in flight. And they are not allowed to actually shoot other models down so it is too wimpy to be of interest. I know from experience with a class of 20, potential flyers, zero and I tried everything at my disposal. Let's just enjoy what we have for as long as it lasts, after all nothing is ever 'for ever'.

Ah, I don't think it is all that bad guys! This decade does seem to be all about virtual worlds, mass produced rubbish and instant gratification but I have faith that this will change. Most things are cyclical (given a long enough time frame) and I am sure that making and doing will come back into fashion eventually. Us odd bods just have to keep the flame alight until that time.

That is all the positivity I can muster for today BTW. I am off to swear at my computer screen for another 3 hours until I am released from work...

A lot depends how you define getting started in aeromodelling.

I stated aeromodelling with a Gunther Flugsepiele Catapult glider, in one of my aunties fields. Now I can only reflect how conventional i have always been, as it was wire framed, covered in a white polymer film, with a large circular Gunther Flugspiegel, printed on it. How I longed for a real model. When i got a a balsa kit, that and subsequent models never flew as well.

This is my experience, no RC, just a field, incredible fun.

This is the experience i have tried to create for my three granddaughters. Not to recruite aeromodellers but as fun.

This route is available to all families, although as has been written, aircraft are taken for granted. Yet so are cars, yet there is still a buzz with cars. Is it the excitement of motor racing, the prestige value of the right badge?

Yet there is one aspect of modern life that is really a killer for adventure, that is todays obsession with health and safety. I have been told in no uncertain terms, that I cannot fly a kite on the beach at Lytham St,, Annes, as it is banned along with sand yachting. Apparently these activities have caused fatalities in the past. So I will not be flying my RC models there anymore. As I went back home, i thought, people have died, playing football, choking on food, gardening, fell walking, running, even shopping, why are these activities not banned?

With respect to aeromodelling, to the modern youth as relevant and interesting as train spotting. Yet I think, what could be more exciting than semi Coronation or a Scot or the Iron Duke, thundering past?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/06/2015 10:56:12:

So, hence my question - why young people in particular? To reiterate, I have nothing against them joining the hobby - just the opposite - but if you are suggesting this is what we should do to secure the future - I disagree!

Well, I can offer one personal and perhaps slightly selfish answer to this.

I would like to think that the hobby is something I can share with my children - let's say that's ten years down the line. Obviously I wouldn't push them into something they didn't want to do, but I would feel so much more comfortable with encouraging them if it was seen as a mainstream, contemporary activity for all ages, compared to a eccentric hobby for the aging. I grew up as a model railway / model boat enthusiast in an era when it definitely wasn't cool to admit it at school. Kids can be very sensitive to peer pressure and like to be seen to be doing what all the other kids do.

It's a funny, thin line, between what's cool and what's not at that age. Flying a kite has become cool again in the last few years. Not much difference as far as I can see. You build it, and it takes skill to fly it. From my experiences of walking alongside the Settle-Carlisle railway line, most kids are excited by, and frequently run to see, a steam train passing...

...they just wouldn't want to admit that to their mates!!!

I'm going to be completely honest with you all , I am quite offended by the amount of people putting us youngsters down maybe we can be in experienced and a few of us may not be as safe as others in the hobby but ill tell you now that WE HAVE TO LEARN (I am 15 years of age and a B cert holder & have been flying since I was 7) Of course I may have been born into the hobby dad being an rc pilot and cousin being a show pilot but that does not matter to me. I was still a child that had to learn my way around the hobby in a safe manor and if I as a child had read some of the things that you are posting here I would have not been the slightest impressed and for a matter of a fact I have seen 40 year olds join our club and have seen children that are safer around live aircraft but they had to learn. Look guys I'm not trying to be funny but give us a chance here.
Rant over.

I started learning to fly when I was 11 alongside my dad who originally just went along with it, but is now as addicted as me and i'm now 34. Perhaps I'm one of the few who've gone through my childhood, university etc and continued flying. I think we should embrace young people into our hobby, both through the BMFA and clubs.

One of the major downsides to the hobby, to which there is no real solution is that conventional clubs, unlike indoor flying, are located in rural areas and for obvious reasons private transportation is required to cart all the gear. there is also the whole CRB thing.

These are elements that we will never get away from but we must encourage children and their parents/guardians to get involved otherwise the hobby as we currently know it will gradually die out.

Morgan, keep at it. If people laugh at you then invite them to Weston Park or Cosford LMA or similar and they'll soon see what its all about!

CB

I too started RC in my teens, but when i left home for uni my modelling career had to stop. As living in a uni halls it wasnt practical, also i could not get to any out of town to get to decent clubs...anyway i didnt have the cash or time, as i was studying or recovering.. FF 10 years (or so) and i returned to the hobby as it was always at the back of my mind, and the models were at the back of my dads shed. I now have the spare cash and time and I have a drawing to it....just ilove every thing about it.. Buying Building flying repairing flying reading chatting drinkking tea etc...

Edited By KingKade on 23/06/2015 22:19:42