The Ten best And Worst Aviation Movies

What about that totally idiotic scene in 'The Thomas Crown Affair' where Pierce Brosnan gets to his feet in the Discus Duo to lean over the shoulder of Rene Russo to show her how to fly the machine. Priceless!  Where do they get these film people from.

At least Steve McQueen remained seated in his version.......

Edited By Barrie Dav 2 on 27/07/2015 15:27:17

Advert

I really didn't like the Red Tails. There are so many airworthy P51s around but they decide that CGI 90% of the time and impossible manoeuvres would be better. And a single P51 with machine guns managed to blow up a battle ship. Explosions and all.

I agree about Airport 79: The Concorde. How did they manage to make a film with Concorde throughout that I despise?! Even the title irritates me, there should be no 'The'! It is so bad it is more like a comedy.

I like all the obvious ones, Battle of Britain, 633 Squadron, The Dam busters. I think Those magnificent men in their flying machines is top for me.

CS

'Flying Leathernecks' is similar to the early Westerns, they just seem to have substituted planes for horses. I can remember being entertained by the film years ago in the days when in cowboy films the 7th cavalry would turn up at the last minute to rescue the cowboys from the Injuns. Things have moved on since in the film industry and hopefully so have I?

I have read this comment made on the on the movie trailer:

That is my Father flying as John Wayne in the air! They, infact, got to know each other pretty well, and I was born a few years later in CA. Dad was a former Major in the Marine Corps who was a former Test Pilot, Flying Tiger and flew as a Squad. Leader in the Pacific Theater F4U-Corsairs, as in this movie. Dad didn't talk of WW11 growing up, but he sure did love talking about this movie. Howard Hughs produced it and Nicolaus Ray Directed it. He said a lot of pranks were on this set!

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 27/07/2015 15:46:15

CS - not to mention in Red tails that while inverted the pilots lose clothing continues to dangle down. Err in mean up if you see what I mean.

Flying Leather necks uses bits of news film of actual WWII combat in the flying sequences. Consequently our hero changes aircraft several times mid flight. You would think that film FX have moved on but looking at Red tails it seems not.

How's this for a bit of film buff trivia. I spotted this whilst looking at some of the goofs from `Reach for the Sky`

"The scenes set in the days leading up to the onset of the Second World War feature late model Mark XVI Spitfires with 'teardrop' canopies, four-bladed propellers and cannon in the wings". Even I knew that, but it went on to say "In addition, the serial number on one aircraft (VT151) was an unused number from a block allocated to Gloster for a batch of Meteor F Mk 4's. (The serial can't be V7151 either, as this was an unused number from a block allocated to Gloster for a batch of Hawker Hurricanes - Gloster being part of the Hawker group)"

I think the guy who spotted that needs to get out more

Posted by KingKade on 27/07/2015 14:58:23:

Posted by Area 51 on 27/07/2015 13:35:17:

Posted by The Wright Stuff on 27/07/2015 13:20:03:

I do have a soft spot for the original 'Flight of the Phoenix' - although the remake was perfectly watchable. Remember the bit where they discover that the aircraft designer among them actually had only designed model aircraft?

Whhhhaaaaaatttt!!!

I was 1/2 way through this one!!!

I won't tell you what happens at the end of Titanic, OK?teeth 2

How about "ZERO HOUR "

This is a black and white movie starring Dana Andrews as " Ted Striker " who as a war damaged pilot has to land a plane with a sick child on board as the pilot and co-pilot have gone down with food poisoning- - - - - - - - - Yes it' s the original "straight Version " of what was later to become the spoof disaster movie - - - - "AIRPLANE".

I must agree the original Flight of the Phoenix was pretty good if only because most of it was the result of good acting rather than flying sequences.

I have soft spot for WWI planes so for me the Blue Max comes quite high as they did at least try to make the flying realistic given that there were no original planes to use.

In terms of accuracy "The Magnificent Men...." is also pretty good, in fact the planes were probably better at what they did than the actors.

The Battle of Britain must remain a 'tour de force' in that it can never be recreated again!

Of course Hell's Angels (1930 & another Howard Hughes epic) is notorious in that they used real SE5s & Fokker DVIIs and crashed quite a few for the camera and even managed to kill some of the stunt pilots.

one of my flying friends father was in the stalag whatever it was called in WW2 during the digging of the tunnels (great escape)...he cooked on the stove above one of the tunnel's......anyway his name didn't come out of the hat to escape ...but he and other survivors were invited to the film's first night in London in 1963 .... after seeing it and comparing note's they all agreed it was a load of "tripe" etc....he was one of the brave Halifax bomber pilot's who was shot down.....for "tripe" use your own description.

ken Anderson...ne....1 fact's dept.

One I liked was a TV movie called 'Birds of Prey'. It had David Janssen playing a traffic spotter in a Hughes 500 witnessing a robbery and chasing the bad guys who make their getaway in an Alouette II. Some of the best flying and best stunts ever. And Dr Strangelove wink.

I strongly agree with John Davies in that Flyboys has to be the worst. Turbo charged red Fokkers everywhere. The US insulted their own flyers of the Lafayette with that one.

One little know film, The Final Countdown, has some great F14 flying although the film itself isn't great.

A guilty pleasure; Disney's Planes!

Edited By David Pearce 4 on 27/07/2015 17:46:58

Off the top of my head- those that I can remember

Worst - Wings of the Apache closely followed by Top Gun  - both unintentionally ridiculous IMO

Best , Airplane !   intentionally ridiculous and hilarious

Edited By Bravo Delta on 27/07/2015 18:25:53

Edited By Bravo Delta on 27/07/2015 18:26:28

I recently watched a film on Amazon Prime called "Battle for the skies" it was themed around South African Pilots in the RAF during WW II . It was utter "TOSH" avoid it like the plague.

Favourite aviation movies; Flight of the Intruder, The Dambusters, Battle of Britain and Reach for the Sky.

''DARK BLUE WORLD''...**LINK**

It is a very warm human story of young Polish pilots who flew in the RAF, and among other things, director Sverak the shooting scene of Spitfire's emergency landing , who in the film takes 15-20 seconds, recorded of two months, not wanting to use computer animation.

My recommendation...

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 28/07/2015 09:51:11