movable shed?

Phil 9

I would love a small shed for storage my RC stuff. It only has to be for storage and not a workshop but it need to be not expensive and small 6x4 possibly to keep models safe from damage (ie damp heat ect)

But as I move house so often (every two years on average due to my job) it would be nice if it could be built so it can be easily dismantled and re assembled

would it be easy enough to but a standard wooden shed and put it together with bolts instead of nails so it will come apart without damage

is there another type of shed that may be better for me?

Advert

Hi Phil,

I had a large wooden shed made from panels. I bolted it together as you suggested; When it came to move it and then even sell it, I unbolted it and went from there. It does work.

Does it take the taxman 24 months on average to catch up with you then laugh

Most sheds are made to bolt together from panels. each side is a panel and roof is often 2 panels. Planks of wood are nailed together to make these panels. To take them apart you just remove the 3 coach bolts holding panels to each other. Possibly the roofing felt will need replacing after moving.

Grease the threads if you intend to take them apart. Rool panels may be held on by wood screws and angle brackets. Ensure woodscrews are not damaged by power screwdrivers!.

Examine a few sheds in B& Q etc to see how they are made..

Edited By kc on 09/08/2015 13:33:57

I was just looking at a Keter shed and may be a good option. they are also light compared to a wooden shed so easier to move.

A trailer is not really an option for me. They cost a lot more than a shed then I will need to add a tow hitch to my car

Hi I have two Keter plastic sheds . I don't keep my models in them as they either cook them in hot weather or freeze them an get damp through condensation on cold wet days.Another problem is they are quite light compared to a wooden shed and are really affected by strong winds. They advise you tobolt them to a concrete base. A decent wooden shed is probably better but they rot out .

in my last house we had a wooden shed I used for my models and a metal shed for garden tools. I couls not have left my models in the metal shed as it got too hot in the summer

Thanks Engine Doctor for sharing your experience. the Keter sheds are not that cheap and if it no good for models it would have been a big waste of money that I really cant afford

A 6 x 4 Shed never big enough. I need a 60 x 40 one as the attic is bursting.

Seriously as you move often why not a gutted caravan. can be an occasional modelling hideaway and nothing needs to be disturbed to move.

I have an 8 x 4 shed as a Summer build/repair place as the attic is too hot in summer. Alongside it I have a large box 8 feet long x four feet width and height made from 18mm ply. It is felt covered and joint sealed and insulated with a convector heater set to frost screwed to the wall inside, the lid is airtight using draught sealer.

After 5 years it is still weather tight and holds six or seven models plus sun umbrellas, but where do all the spiders come from ?

Have you considered ex military workshops? There was a good article a couple of months ago in Model Engineers' Workshop about someone who had turned an ex military radio repair shed into an engineering workshop. There are some bargains to be had and they often have quirky bits of equipment included - three phase power, air con etc. The one in the article had a small crane on the outside and a filtration system for use after a biological attack - if you'd ever met my dog you'd know how useful such a system could be...! Here's one I've just found - **LINK** and while it is clearly over the top for what you require, it gives some idea of what is out there.

Not a big deal to move a shed. I did so after my divorce, no way I leave her my 6 month old workshop....

you just have to be careful with the roof felt, all the nails or staples of the piece overlapping from from one side to the other have to be removed. All the rest is wood screws, some of them were hard to remove but in the end they will break if they do not come off and you move the single panels.
Found a guy with a van who not only moved the shed from a to b but also helped me to put it together again on its new place.

My shed/workshop (the bigger one) after removal from Banbury to MK in 2012 on its new place. In the meantime I moved again but left the old shed where it was.

VA

Finally moved

a caravan will not work in my case as the only access to my back garden is through the house and I have no space at the front to store it. and my small engine car is not very suitable for towing. for me a caravan just brings more problems than it solves. I found I can get a wooden shed and base delivered for £215 from The Shed Store, I think this is my best bet and at that price it would not be the end of the world if I had to leave it behind