Are receivers conpatable across makes of transmitters

The general answer to your question Paul is: no they most definitely are not compatible. Most manufacturers use a unique encoding system for their transmission and receiving signals, that protocol would not be understood by another manufacturer's equipment.

There are a few exceptions to this general rule - and there are a number of 3rd party manufacturers who make equipment that can work with other manufacturers - FrSky make Futaba compatible receivers (for some modes of Futaba anyway!) and Orange make Spektrum compatible receivers. But generally, in 2.4GHz "mix and match" just won't work.

BEB

Hi Paul ,

Welcome to the forum now to the point yes it can be done but is highly NOT recommended wit certain brands such as orange and spektrum, have only ever known them causing trouble and do not bother any more. My own opinionis to stick to the recommended gear e.g. if its a spektrum transmitter I would go for a spektrum reciver , same as futaba and others.

Hope that helped a little

Morgan

Hi Paul, as the others have said, stick with the same make. In the old 35meg days it was possible, but now, other than cheap 3rd party receivers which I wouldn't bother with, having seen lots of issues, I would definately stick with genuine same make receivers.

CB

In addition to what the others have said, you have to beware that even same make sometimes won't work together: Both Futaba and Spektrum have, over time, introduced new protocols for their 2.4GHz equipment, so that a Futaba FASST receiver, for instance, won't work with the newer FHSS transmitters, or vice versa sad Futaba's more-expensive transmitters can switch between the two protocols, and that's probably also true of Spektrum and their different protocols.

3rd-party manufacturers like Orange, Lemon, and FrSky often make Futaba and Spektrum versions of their receivers, so just check you get the right one if you decide to go that route.

Posted by Paul Harris 5 on 10/08/2015 08:07:38:

Glad I asked before I waisted money and possibly a model.

Well, hopefully you wouldn't have lost a model, because you would have realised it didn't work long before you got it in the air.

You do raise a good point though, about whether there are cases when supposedly compatible modules superficially appear to work, but then let you down once in the air. I would imagine that this scenario is much much less likely with modern 2.4 GHz equipment.

The best thing to do is do a full range check on the ground, as per the instructions. If you are unhappy in any way with the range or compatibility at this point, the very worst case is the effort and faff of having to return the receiver to the shop.

Paul

To some degree it does depend on the 'value' you place on your planes.

I have a Spektrum DX6i with 11 receivers in 11 different planes and none are Spektrum. (the DX6i only has a 10 model memory!)

I have only had one crash (out of several!) that could be attributed to the radio but I am fairly sure it was the result of the receiver using the older Spektrum DSM2 protocol in a 'busy' radio environment at a very well attended fly-in.

Using the same make of Tx and Rx should remove one possible issue but it is no guarantee. You only have to read any forum to see the very polarised views concerning the reliability of the various radio systems. wink 2

Just to clarify Simon's point. His receivers may not be Spektrum but they are specifically sold as "Spektrum compatible - clones". The general rule holds - one brand doesn't work with another. So dealing with your specific question - in terms of major manufacurers (Futaba, Spektrum, HiTec, Jeti, JR etc) generally they will not work cross platform. There have been some cross overs between JR and Spektrum in the past - but that was only for an older protocol and is of no real interest to you if you are buying new kit now.

BEB

• 1 year later...

As BEB and others have said there are quite a few makes of compatible RXs on the marker sadly the levels of compatibility and component quality varies hugely - that variation makes it ermmmm "Interesting" to choose one!

Some are outright fakes and best not touched with other peoples barge poles..... usually found selling at less than 50% of RRP on fleabay

Some are genuine compatible RXs like Lemon or Orange - and many people use them outside of those two brands I would be VERY hesitant about using them.....

I use FlySky and Orange (Spektrum protocol) plug in modules on my Frsky Taranis transmitter successfully but only for very lightweight (around30 gms) indoor models. I wouldn't use either module for 'serious' outdoor stuff.

In the old days with 35Mhz systems you could use any receiver with any transmitter and I did ... a lot. There were people who advocated that you should stick to one manufacturer but they were mistaken. Now it's more clear cut. You really do have to stick to one manufacturer. Though if I were a Futaba user I'd happily use Frsky Futaba compatible receivers.

Geoff

I think the Orange and FrSky stuff (and probably Lemon, but I do know about them so much) is probably OK. These are established companies now. And while they are cheaper, they are not that cheap! But personally I'd steer clear of the ultra-low cost stuff from makers no one has heard of! Which was my real point above.wink 2

BEB

They let any old fruitcakes on this forum nowadays!

To answer the OPs question I have several orange receivers for Spektrum and they've been faultless. In fact both planes I flew today had orange receivers, the only equipment failure I had was the nut holding the sticks 😎.

Shaunie.

There was never anything wrong with Micron Oldgit. I was flying a couple of Micron receivers until a couple of years ago and would happily still use them just need the right crystal for my current 35 MHz TX or I might even fly them with a Micron TX that I bought for nostalgic purposes. I will either get that going on 35 or convert to 2.4. I still have Micron battery monitors in some models and used Micron lost model buzzers in all my models until I went solely to PCM or 2.4. Also as regards Micron. Where else could you get a 35Mhz PPM receiver with failsafe on all channels and with the failsafe settings set table in flight,although I have never had the courage to try that.

As for Orange I think they have proved themselves to be as good as any other make and as a matter of interest from my own experiments that the Orange dsm2 rx does not have the slow recovery from power drop that the older dsm2 Spekky ones had

Sorry no fruit based puns from me