ARTFs - fix or forget?

Bob Cotsford

Just idly pondering, how far do you go with fixing up ARTFs, particularly those second-hand items you've bought in a moment of madness? You know, the ones that looked ok for the duration of the buying frenzy, but when examined in the cold light of day put the fear of God into you. I know, pretty much anything can be rebuilt, but is the result worthwhile? For me, once I've discovered the first couple of codges (servos glued in to disguise the broken mounting lugs, snakes assembled by pushing a bit of wire into the inner - general assembly by a demented 5 year old etc) I loose confidence in the model as a whole and so far have sawn at least one model into bag size pieces to fit in the rubbish collection rather than risk flying it.

Is it just me? Maybe I've got a target on my back that I've not noticed?

What about the rest of you, what have you been caught with,, and would you just sell a dog on?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/09/2015 11:26:46

Advert

I actually really enjoy bring a "nail " back to life . Probably as I like building , but also the cost is usually very much cheaper and you can use a bit of your own "inginuity" as most ARTFs are made for production and probably not as "I " would do it .

Alot of my current fleet are all dustbin retrievals , 72" Waco , took 6 oz of epoxy off the wings alone !

84" Porter abandoned project

Brio x2 both suffered wing root failures in their previous lifes

small Katana as above

Big Glens Cap rescued from a bomb fire

Wot 4 Fuz in half

and one I actually paid cash for , cos it had top gear in it !! at this years Nats a Formosa which with a modicum

of care flies really well , not my normal thing but very satisfying Plus a good few more ! Su27, F16 F35 Typhoon etc

A challenge it whats it all about , re-build and fly it smiley.

Not just you Bob - at last years Nats swap meet thingy I bought a lovely looking scratch built leccy Auster Autocrat - when I tried to fly it it turned 90degs to the wind as soon as the wheels left the ground - couldn't see anything obvious nor could anyone else - tried all sorts to fix it until it eventually stalled and did the dive of death - when I picked it up it had effectively shattered as the wood was so dry - bin baggedfrown

I had a hangar 9 pulse 125 and my battery voltage thingy jammed the elevator servo while i was in a vertical dive. The model was demolished up to the wing leading edge but i repaired it and have been flying it since. That said, its not as nice to fly as it was so i have decided to remove the engine from the nose and will be doing sufficient mods to allow a laser 70 to attach to each wing. Provision will also be made for retracts i think and it shall be rechristened pulse 140

Tricky, it's how much is cheap. Aways build into the fact it WILL require attention. Us modellers always find something we don't like, even off fellow club members. If it's a recuse job, or cheap as chips it is worth a punt. I have been bitten buying a mannoch off BMFA airframe for £75, looked the part...flying photographs.....trouble is who I got it, it flew in circles!!..due to the worst warp and washin I have ever seen. Luckily it was supplied with another set of very old looking wings, which were tatty but straight!!......too many people pay attention to what they look like rather than making sure they are straight!!...

I have had some real gems from the various classifieds, for example a WM Midget Mustang that was immaculate and had been well assembled, a H9 SNJ that looked like a professional build, both for bargain prices. Others have needed a little work, maybe just tidying up or finishing off, eg my Panic, Scallywag or Glen's Maule.

But then there are the others, the quick fixes that turn out to be winter projects - or worse!face 17

I was given a Super 60 with smashed wing around the centre. I have just rebuilt it back to the wing roots and made a new centre section. That will screw on and the wings will be plug in halves with Cub type struts for strength.

Much cheaper than buying all new balsa. I do a few bits to it every time I go over the shed for other reasons, so the time taken is irrelevant. It'll be done when it's done. But it will have been satisfying and cheap as chips.

MrTin