New gadget

Advert

Should we not be encouraging anything to make flying safer.>>

I do understand the not when training point of view but anything that could avoid the expense of a crashed aircraft or the damage or injury that such a crash could lead too should only be encouraged.>>

Don't forget in most cases these systems can be switched on & off at the transmitter and only used if the pilot has a problem. >>

How long in the world of litigation will it be before this sort of system becomes mandatory. >>

The old argument that if I didn't need it no one else should use it does not hold water in the real world.>>

Sounds like the mutterings that went through the house of Lords when they were trying to reduce the age of consent for Gays.>>

"I they had to wait until they were 21 then so should everyone else" >>

There own advertising methods to show how good they can be can be working against them though, with the pilot putting the transmitter down to talk of the phone, shouldn't the phone have been turned off before he began flying, switching the phone off will not kill you but answering it could. >>

Hmmmmm.................................

I watch a guy at are club , throw his plane in the air ,then started to tell me how he had programmed a route around are field on Google maps .

And i watched his plane fly around the field with no input from him it did a few circuits at different heights and then landed by itself .

He then told me he was going to see if he could program it to do the A certificate , for a laugh.

frown

Steve

Edited By Stephen Jones on 06/10/2015 23:59:05

A very clever bit of kit that will appeal to a minority of established fliers, but may well be something that newcomers to the hobby will find attractive. Automation is all very well and good and I remember when we used to laugh about having our models pre-programmed to fly whilst we sat around drinking tea - well, that's a reality now but goodness knows wouldn't it quickly become boring after watching your Wot 4 or whatever turn itself inside out following its instructions that you'd devised at home?

Just my take on it of course, but I'm sure there will be many who enjoy programming and would find it fascinating and if it gets people flying who otherwise wouldn't go within a mile of our hobby then it has to be a good thing IMHO.

ARTFs, 2.4 GHz gear, drones and FPV racing along with programmable GPS controlled flight are all a valuable shot in the arm for model flying - most of which I'm not interested in - but I welcome anyone who shares an interest in anything that flies and if it boosts BMFA membership and raises our profile (in the right way, of course) it's a good thing.

I have an eagle A3 super 3 axis stabilisation system fitted to a model. It is very similar to the multiplex product above. The advert can easily be misinterprited as this type of system does not fly the model for you.

I think it is a fantastic gadget if used in the right way

it has 4 modes that can be controlled from the TX and also the gain can be controled from the Tx as you fly

mode 0 = Off (the system is off and you can fly the model as normal

Mode1= self leveling. it is like adding electronic dihedral to the model. great for begginers and you can adgust the amout of assistans it gives you as you get better.

in theroy you instead of the normal trainer to low wing to aerobatic model route for begginers you can learn all that with one model. you do not change the airframe type to suit your need but you can electronicaly change the flight characterisics to suite your ability.

Mode2= 3 axis stabalisation. it is said larger models fly better and handel gusty wind better but now you can electronicaly add these characteristics to a smaller model. The guys who say what is the point are probably more likly to have packe up and gone home because of the wind as i comtinue to fly with electronic stabalisation.

mode3= headding hold this is what is being used in the video when the transmitter in put down. personally I dont use this much as I feel less in control of the model. but I can see if you wanted to learn to prop hang you could gradualy lower the gain untill you can do it un assisted. It may also work for other difficult manouvers but I have not experimented with it a great deal.

in the old days you could add expo mechanicaly now you can do it electronicaly. now you can electroncaly adjust dihedral without having to build a new wing.

do not dismiss new products to quickley without trying them for yourself . yes you can live without them as in the past modelers did without lipo batteries and computer radios

Edited By Phil 9 on 07/10/2015 09:14:15

Those of us of a certain age will recall when the appearance of rate switches were believed by many fliers to be the work of the devil and anyone singing the praises of expo would have their tranny aerial snapped in half and their SMAE stickers ceremoniously removed from their flight boxlaugh.

Nothing is really cheating, it's just how much satisfaction you get out of a model. As my profile suggest I am a mid 30's (read late) pilot who welcomed the introduction of the artf due to my inability to build straight and get that damn mds lump running. After going down the HAL autopilot route and much later hobbyking 3 axis systems. I finally leant to fly well and am now enjoying building my aircraft. Non of which would be possible without the cheats. The people who want to find the true beauty of our hobby will be the ones posting the builds in 10 years time, even if they did start with a bixler !!! Obviously stabilisation is a non starter for the purist and will be shunned by the seasoned modeller but that guy with the eflite foamy could be the future of our hobby.