Modify old 35mhz transmitter or retire it?

QUADDRA

I used the Corona synth a few years ago and I seem to remember setting it to my transmitter by pressing the scan button. Once locked on it remembers which frequency it's on when you next power it up.

Why did I stop using it? A couple of incidents convinced me it as time to switch over to 2.4 completely as I was obviously not capable of working out when I needed to extend an aerialblush

Advert

Posted by QUADDRA on 04/11/2015 02:34:13:

Hi

Thank you all for your replies.

The corona synth sounds like a good choice but I don't understand how it pairs with the transmitter without a crystal? Also anyone have any experience with these corona synths? And how did you get on?

I have some of the Multiplex synth IPD Rxs, you switch the Tx on (on the channel you want) and then the Rx with a button pushed down, it then locks onto the channel. Don't do this at the field if anybody else is switched on on 35mhz though. The Multiplex 35mhz IPD rxs are brilliant if a little expensive, I also have some Corona Rxs, but not the synth ones and they have been very good too.

Quaddra, why not put a "Wanted" ad up on this forum and BMFA classifieds asking for Mpx synth IPD RXs? There must be loads sitting around in draws across the land. I gave away most of my 35MHz gear to newbies some years ago now, but I did retain some 35Mhz JR synth RXs for FPV use alongside 2.4GHz VTXs.

Edited By MattyB on 04/11/2015 11:32:42

Ps - If and when you do want to buy a dedicated 2.4GHz TX, do take a good look at the FrSky Taranis as OpenTX (the open source software it uses) is extremely similar in terms of programming logic to your Mpx set, far more so than the competition from Futaba, Spektrum, JR etc. I came from Cockpits and Evos and understand their "list the inputs to the surface" mixing logic well, and that is exactly how OpenTX works - indeed many people believe OpenTX and it's predecessors were inspired by the old Profi 3030/4000 software.

It also has lots of extra features available if you want to use those (voice alerts, well integrated telemetry that can be used as an input to a mixer, logical switches that can be activated by combinations of switches and stick positions etc); if not it still works fine as a simple, affordable set with decent physical quality and a well proven, resilient RF implementation.

Edited By MattyB on 04/11/2015 12:07:32

If it's of any interest to you, I have ...

1. A spare tx battery for Mpx Pico/MM/Cockpit

2. A 35 meg Cockpit Sx with MPX 2.4 module

Both of the above are spare to my needs if you are interested, battery will only need postage covered and the Tx/module combo is reasonably priced, pm me if you are interested...I can also help you out with an MPX 2.4 5ch Rx if that helps

Cheers

As per my experience you must try a new battery and go for a range test and check up.

If you ll find it working well and reliable then need not to change.

Also try by changing the 35MHz Tx to 2.4GHz by fitting the FRSky internal and then using FRSky Rx.

And 2.4 is that you can switch on without worrying you are interfering with someone else's frequency. The downside is there is less excuses for crashes.

• 8 months later...
Posted by Phil Green on 25/10/2015 09:33:01:

My advice is dont buy anything, use the Cockpit MM as it is, on 35. Its a fine set. Many glider enthusiasts actually prefer them over modern gear. Theres always a chance you might not take to flying again, so why waste money?
If you've been here on the forum a while, you'll realise there are lots of members whose reaction to slight obsolescence, any problem, any doubt, anything beyond a light arrival, is to throw stuff away - which they justify as risk mitigation. In fact very seldom is that necessary. Fit a new battery (theres no reason on earth why that should cost you £25 as suggested), do a full range check, then stick it in a 'foamy' for a couple of sessions.
You only mentioned the transmitter - presumably you have a few receivers for it. If not, then that expense will influence your decision. But from someone who has done gazillions of conversions, stick with the Cockpit on 35! (All 'in my humble opinion' of course)

Cheers
Phil

PS I did a Multiplex Picoline recently for a friend and it was a very straightforward conversion, plenty of room inside for his OrangeRx DIY module. Its a very similar set to yours, conversion to 2.4g is an inexpensive option.

Edited By Phil Green on 25/10/2015 09:58:14

Hi, Phil, i´m António marcelo from portugal, and i have the multiplex pico radio. Can you please help me modify for 2.4. I have buy Frsky DiY module. Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

António Marcelo