Modify old 35mhz transmitter or retire it?

QUADDRA

Is it worth pumping more money into an old system?

How many receivers does the OP have now he is returning to the hobby. How much do new 35MHz receivers cost (I personally would not entertain buying a second hand receiver.)

What are his future needs both in number of planes, but also such things as telemetry, and enhanced facilities.

Advert

I don't know how similar the Cockpit MM is to the SX but I have converted & have been using a Cockpit SX on switchable 2.4gig - 35meg since Feb 2014.
I have a Taranis that's used for several models with telemetry but the Cockpit is used for a couple on 35meg & some with Frsky V8 series Rxs though D series Rxs could also be used.

Handy thing about the SX is that all UK legal (& some non UK) 35meg frequencies are available without the need for Xtl changing. On the 2.4gig side, Frsky Rxs are reliable as well as being economical.

dscn1250 (1280x960).jpg

dscn1253 (1280x960).jpg

dscn1257 (1280x960).jpg

Note I have an original version hack module with dip switches for mode change current version has a more robust switch.

I'd regard a Mux Cockpit radio as quite modern. I converted my Mux 3030 to 2.4 gHz using a Frsky hack module plugged into the Din charging/buddy lead etc socket with no problems but I've been dabbling with electronics all my life and made a living at it for most of it. It's quite easy to do if you have confidence.

As for reliability of an 'old' transmitter, there's probably a higher likelyhood of a new one failing than one in its middle years - so-called infant mortality. Your radio is highly unlikely to to become faulty unless it's been stressed in some way (like dropping it, for instance) - of course transmitter failure is very rare in either case. My first conversion was an old Futaba Super 7 which never gave a moment's trouble and took a Frsky plug in module.

The main advantage of 2.4 gHz operation is relative immunity from being 'shot down' by someone intruding on your frequency or having to wait for the peg. I know with fewer people using 35Mhz the band is less crowded but I think there's also a danger of people forgetting check before switching on when it was formerly a habit.

Geoff

Posted by PatMc on 25/10/2015 12:10:16:

I have an original version hack module with dip switches for mode change current version has a more robust switch.

...thats easily changed to a toggle switch Pat, makes it easier if you have both V & D setups. I'd use a two-position switch, its highly unlikely you will ever need the 'firmware update' position. Its just one wire - its grounded for V mode, open-circuit for D mode. Details on S/C at the bottom of the Archive page.

Whilst I'm advocating that the MM be used as-is on 35mhz, there is one aspect that I've not seen mentioned here - that new gear is nice!
It inspires you to finish a project, it gives you a sense of pride at the field, and it gives you confidence, buying new gear means you've made a commitment to the hobby, and that you've made an investment that will bring enjoyment for years to come. Sometimes its nice just to have something thats shiny and new!

Me? I prefer the old stuff !

Use it and be damned. as more people are using 2.4 the likelyhood of shoot down is pretty remote anyway and if someone else is using 35 just work out with him/her who flies and when . Find out in the club if anyone else is using 35 and go from there .What batteries are you using ? Nicads and Nimh can be recovered even if long out of use.Look on the web for battery recovery. Dead easy

One thing that hasn't be said above is that if you decide to continue to use your MM Cockpit and it's been left idle for a long while is check for the dreaded black wire corrosion, I have a couple of old Fleet radio's that I didn't use for a few years and when I went to test them the Nicds were completely flat and the the negative wire was corroded right up to the board.

I also still use my Multiplex Cockpit Sx on 35 and 2.4, like Pat I've made a 2.4 module for it, but I made up an external FrSky 2.4 module which plugs into the DIN socket.

Quaddra. I have an Hitec Eclipse 7 purchased in 2000 originally used on 40 MHz for fast electric boat racing. It had been stored for years with the nicad out. I bought the 2.4 conversion when I saw it on offer and replaced the nicad with a HK Life cell. Its been back in use for 3 years with a faultless performance as indeed it gave on 40. I trust it completely. I now have a Spekkie DX 9 as well which gets the most use but use the Hitec for maidens on expensive models .So convert the MPX as its a top rate set still and going 2.4 has massive advantage's .Colin

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your views and ideas.

Sorry the question caused a little friction, hope everything is peaceful again now.

First I've got to say that the Multiplex Cockpit MM was faultless over the years and if 2.4ghz hadn't raised its head I most likely wouldn't have been thinking about changing the set.

Pats SX looks good and I think it was the replacement for the MM.

I appreciate all your advise and between you, you have put to bed many of my concerns.

I think that the general consensus would suggest that I wouldn't be out of place using the Cockpit MM or at odds with other flyers. So use what I have got and get flying, see how things go then make the decision on which 2.4 to get a bit further down the line. Although it has been mentioned that I should expect the 2.4ghz boys comments like- have I caught any or hows the fishing today?

Whatever I decide it will have to be capable for one electric powered, two slope gliders, a new…Yes I couldn't resist the temptation, DG-1000 glider and at some point also a T-Rex type Helicopter that requires time.

Not been to an RC shop for many, many, years and got to say my recent visit was a real eye opener. So many great electric powered aircraft out there now. Always fancied a turbine powered jet but just a bit too much for me but the many ducted fan aircraft are so tempting. Some great warbirds and also saw a favourite of mine the Boeing Stearman biplane. Also like the drone/quad copters and quite like the idea of arial photography and FPV. Not sure how I didn't come away totally broke.

I had the new Spectrum DX6 in my hands, but not too sure about it.

Well I was very impressed with its many capabilities I did feel, in comparison to the Cockpit MM that it felt a bit bulky, quite heavy and strangely more plasticky, I say strangely because they are both made of plastic so shouldn't feel any different. I guess I would get used to the feel of it and also would certainly appreciate the smaller initial expense of the transmitter and extra receivers receivers down the line. Just a side note- I’m sure many of us head to the field to escape the.. dare I say it.. female nagging, so not sure that another female voice telling us whats what and what to do on a transmitter is such a good idea…. only saying…. Only joking, actually think its a good idea. One thing keeps niggling me though and it is that I would be loosing a channel in comparison to the Cockpit MM. Always thought, when I changed the Cockpit, it would be because of the need for more channels. That being said at present I don't need the extra channel but you can bet that as soon as I purchased the 6 channel Spectrum or similar, I’d see a model I liked/needed that would require the extra channel.

Ok so all that is now put to the side for now, my next step is to source a new battery for the Cockpit MM and also could do with another receiver.

So first the battery, I notice the factory installed battery is a Multiplex 1500 mah Nimh with a multiplex specific connector. So what would be your advice and how would you deal with connecting if not a multiplex battery? Would cutting (carefully) the old battery cables and using them on the new be the way to go?

Receivers. So guess they don't make them any more. I did a quick search on google and eBay and found loads of cheap 35 mhz Futaba receivers but not one Multiplex!

Ideally I assume a multiplex receiver would be best but I was wondering are there any other makes that would work just as well with the Cockpit MM?

Thanks for all your help and advice,

Regards

Quaddra

I've tried looking for multiplex 35 MHz Rx and really there isn't a lot out there now. As for battery, Steve Webb or Component Shop might be worth a phone call.

If you don't have any luck with any of that, I wouldn't know where to turn next. If that's the case you might just be going into 2.4, not by choice but by lack of servable parts for your current set up. Sorry

I've installed FrSky hack modules into both my Futaba FF7 and FF9 Super. I've done this switchable so both TX's do 35mhz and 2.4g. The FF7 was the easiest to do as their are wires that you just solder on to where as the FF9 I had to solder on to a main board yes

baz