Fokker Dr1 scratch build

mightypeesh

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Thank chaps. Simon, from what I have heard these spend a lot of time going around in circles ground looping - so I will need a bit of wear in the wheels!

Ok Going from slow to almost static, but finally got aroung to making my self a wire bender to make the uc legs - it took years thinking about it and an hour to make! Also made the Auxillary wing from soft balsa to give it a bit of 'bashability' having seen how spats fare on my landings. Last but not least I made myself one of my Super Sculpy pilots that I will make a mold from and cast in expanding foam as I usually do. He is a bit of a generic ww1 german pilot with flying gear from multiple sources of reference but he looks ok and is around 1/9 scale.

_mg_1072.jpg

_mg_1088.jpg

_mg_1091.jpg

The all important 'bits of plane balanced together shot'

_mg_1094.jpg

He is looking ahead to his first flight with trepidation...

_mg_1095.jpg

Definately coming together!

Cheers, Simon

• 3 weeks later...

Bit more progress. Its the first time I have scratch built anything with a wing floating in mid air at the top so to get my angles and position right I built a jig for the job

_mg_1097.jpg

_mg_1100.jpg_mg_1111.jpg

I used this combined with much swearing, angle taking, measuring, wire bending, and bracket making to get the wing in place. I always like to make everything removable in case the unthinkable happens and I need to repair bits, so maybe made the job a bit harder than it needed to be.

_mg_1107.jpg

Got there in the end and even the pilot looks happy with the job, now cast in light weight expanding foam.

_mg_1108.jpg

I think she is getting there now. I cannot believe how much time such a small model takes up. Next on the list is the pushrods for the tail feathers, make a steerable tail skid, tidy up and fuel proof the engine bay and maybe just maybe get some covering over that lovely framework

Cheers chaps, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 03/03/2016 19:23:43

Cheers folks.

Few more bits and pieces. First made some hinges from the old spar ripped out of a PZ Spitty - I knew I kept it for a reason!

_mg_1141.jpg

Then I got distracted by Herr Pilot sitting waiting to be painted.

_mg_1125.jpg

Does not look too bad next to the original. He is cast in a silicone mold using expanding foam, and has a coat of Halfords white primer on ready for acrylic paint. I use System 3 artist type paints.

_mg_1148.jpg

To speed up painting I have made a cradle to dry him under the lamp.

_mg_1153.jpg

And finish with a coat of matt varnish.

_mg_1166.jpg

I had a wobbly hand with the brush today and my eyes are getting worse, but he should good in the cockpit.

_mg_1175.jpg

And only weighs in at just over 3 grams! Not bad at all. He will be cut down a bit when he goes into the plane.

_mg_1182.jpg

Finally today i hinged the rudder using 3 robart pin hinges recessed in to be stuck at a later date.

Thats all for now folks,

Cheers, Simon

Thanks trebor - bit too abstract for me on a Sunday morning. I think he has got some castor oil in one eye from the engine which is why he is squinting! As I always tell my students 'goggles are no good if they are  perched on your head'....

The struts were the biggest headache so far even with the jig. For a couple of bent bits of wire it took an extraordinary amount of time and head scratching to get right. I am sure when you have done a few it gets easier.... maybe!

I am looking forwards to getting some covering on soon and then onto some detailing which for me is the fun bit.

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 06/03/2016 11:16:59

• 4 weeks later...

Hi folks. The covering is on! Whoopy! how exciting!!!......... Ok I must get out more.......laugh

Seriously though, this is the first time I have used Solartex and I must say I absolutely love it. It is so nice and easy to use and takes to compound curves beautifully. I wanted the 'linen' colour but could only get 'antique'. I am going to use Daler System 3 artist acrylics and mix my own colours from these, so I will give it a wash of white to knock back the colour a bit before I start to make it more 'fabricy' (is that even a word?) as the base colour will show through the camoflage a bit.

I have been keen to try the good old cotton on double sided tape rib stitching technique which Danny highlighted in an article on rib tapes etc on his gorgeous Chippy last year - not sure which month - I think it had the Tony Nijhuis Mosquito as the special plan in it. Anyway I gave it a go and I must say that sticky tape, cotton and me do not go together - I very quickly looked like Paddington Bear when he got tangled up in sellotape!

This spurred me to try a different way that was a bit less sticky and suit my way of working better.

I used water slide decal paper and cut the sheet in half length ways and attached it to both sides of a bit of board with masking tape to keep it flat. The thread is polyester cotton as that was what was handy.

_mg_1230.jpg

_mg_1234.jpg

Wind the cotton around as usual but as the surface is not sticky you have to keep it tight. I am using the reverse as well so keep it neat both sides. When finished give it a light coat of laquer to tack the thread in place and then give it a good 'flow coat' so that the cotton and paper are nicely wetted (but not dripping!). I gave it 2 coats and let it dry over night.

_mg_1240.jpg

There we go, Two sheets of water-slide stitching. You should get about 6 meters of stiching from the sheets depending on size.

_mg_1249.jpg

The advantage for me is that I could cut a pile of rib size bits and not get all sticky. I cut the strips with a rotary cutter and steel rule.

_mg_1250.jpg

'Clearly' rib stitching....... ouch!

_mg_1256.jpg

Dip in water and lay on a plstic lid to soak in. You can just leave them in water but the bits will float away after a couple of minutes and the point is to make it easier! I paint a line of the decal fix on the wing before applying the strips.

_mg_1254.jpg

Looking good.

Right, now I have a lovely pile of bits ready for the tapes over the stitching.

_mg_1262.jpg

It's not completely scale, but I am using this project to try out different techniques. Somebody somewhere said that building scale models consists of spending hours creating details that nobody but you will notice. My wife is definately looking at me strangely with the 'why?' look in her eye when I said what the little strips were for.......

_mg_1263.jpg

Oh, and I made some steps and handles from wire - once again not quite right but they add a bit of interest.

_mg_1267.jpg

For the wing tapes I decided to used some covering tissue. I tried solartex on some scrap but found the heat flattened the 'stitches' and my ham fists found it hard to keep it straight. It might be better with 100% cotton maybe. once again all cut to size. I am just painting a stripe of slighty watered down 'Easy Dope' and brushing the strip down before wiping off the excess.

_mg_1268.jpg

All in all quite stress and tangle free.

_mg_1276.jpg

What a lovely pile of bits and Pieces! I have also foiled the cowling with aluminium tape and added some rivets using the pva method.

_mg_1277.jpg

Thats it for the moment, just going to start another list of to do's and finalise just what colour scheme I am going for!

Cheers, Simon

Thanks chaps.

Now onto one of those defining bits of a Dr1's personality that are just as important as the tail shape or the number of wings - the twin Spandau machine guns!

My self imposed scale is about 1/9th so first job was to find a decent 3 view of the gun and scale accordingly.

_mg_1283.jpg

The hardest part of the Spandau is the distinctive air cooling jacket around the barrel. My old eyes just would not cope with all that piercing and I did not want to resort to a laser on this model as I want to utilise what I have at home already to keep it simple. One day my desktop laser will come though!

I decided that rather than cut out the slots I would just try leaving them clear and use acrylic tube for the barrel to give it the affect. To this end my favorite water slide paper came out again...

_mg_1243.jpg

I drew up the pattern on the computer using Illustrator, printed them onto the paper and sealed with Halfords laquer. The tube is just 10mm od tube.

_mg_1244.jpg

Well it seems to work although the ink is not as dense as I would like. I am going with it though as this plane is all about experimentation. The rest I am going to make from scraps of balsa, carbon tube for the barrel and bits of whatever looks right as it comes along as I am going for the effect of the guns rather than an all out scale build.

_mg_1284.jpg

Mmmmm very rustic laugh

_mg_1289.jpg

A coat of paint improves matters. I used aluminium tape here and to get the shape on the muzzle I cut the strip in a very long taper so that as you wound it on it made the form.

_mg_1297.jpg

....bit more black.......

_mg_1305.jpg

and than some washes of black mixed with silver and a bit of highlighting.

_mg_1307.jpg

I made a mistake on one that I am not going to point out, but I think they should look good on the plane. They have turned out better than I though they would when I first started to glue bits and bobs together and even the decal jacket does not look to bad at this scale. Once again, very pleased with the result!

Cheers, Simon