Mass Build 2016 - Chat Thread for Voting

Well actuallly, no - there is not a limitation to RCM&E Plans - I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. The Mass Build has built Traplet designs before now - the Pushycat being a case in point I think and in the vintage themed year the vast majority were not RCM&E designs.

The MB is not a promotional excercise for RCM&E - honestly! Its a straight forward attempt to get people building with whatever design fills the requirements of being interesting and at the same time within the scope of a first time builder - albeit with some assistance. It's true that, in some respects, its easier if its an RCM&E plan - over things such as organising laser cutting for those that want it etc. But it is by no means a requirement.

But anyway - I think the designs we have are are fine - RCM&E or not! Yes they are of a similar size and wing loading - but that is often going to be the case if your looking for a popular size, straight forward to build, good flying model. There is a limit to how much you can change things within that envelope. Some folks have said they would have liked to see more of this or that model. Yes, there are some very different designs in Peter's catalogue, but as he suggests above many of them would have presented a new builder with very challenging problems which they may not have been able to overcome sucessfully - even with help.

So we come back to what is the MB about? Its about encourgaing new builders whilst at the same time giving the old-hands a bit of fun building a model that perhaps they can show their ingenuity on by developing some innovative changes - and at the end of the day everyone gets a great flying model. I think these five fit that bill perfectly!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/11/2015 10:29:09

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 10/11/2015 10:26:55:

Yes they are of a similar size and wing loading - but that is often going to be the case if your looking for a popular size, straight forward to build, good flying model....

So we come back to what is the MB about? Its about encouraging new builders whilst at the same time giving the old-hands a bit of fun building a model that perhaps they can show their ingenuity on by developing some innovative changes .....

and at the end of the day everyone gets a great flying model. I think these five fit that bill perfectly!

BEB

Agreed

And, as Craig said, if the Werewolf is selected I'll absolutely be looking at fitting retracts. Never used them before, but the Werewolf seems to be the perfect project to try something new and give some of those reasonably priced servoless HK jobbies a try

It could be that the Rhapsody could be the one that Peter (as well as myself) think should be the one that should be on the list for consideration. From memory it does tick all the boxes, for a MB model.

To heighten the build frenzy and participation in the MB, could the RCM&E perhaps put up a prize, such as a RCM&E hat be awarded for the best build/finished/the most flown model. It is possible that PM could be encouraged to both present the prize, and add further value by signing the Hat and Model. Imagine the envy at the local patch.

Bob, I knew at the back of my mind that there was an inline, I had forgeotten they were just hidden in a radial cowl !

A proper trophy would be better. However modest the actual trophy something engraved with ones name that can put on the sideboard forever is preferable. Perpetual trophies are liable to be lost so a modest trophy to keep is better. Maybe a sponsor could be found?

Edited By kc on 10/11/2015 12:57:41

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 10/11/2015 12:05:32:

Your memory is better than mine Peter, that's exactly what I was thinking ofthumbs up

Both of your memories are better than mine! I did think the Werewolf had classic c/l looks and proportions - and some c/l stunters are amongst the best looking models around - but hadn't made the 334G connection

As has been stated non of the inline Fw or Ta looked like most inline installations. I would guess the issue was that it was far easier to arrange for the cooling radiator to be installed as an annular tube than to run piping to either wing mounted radiators and that a chin radiator would increase the cross sectional area.

It may be just co-incidence that the Peter Russell 1956 Gold Trophy winner (334G) had a look of a Fw 190A. In many respects the use of a parallel sided front end, is much easier with IC powered model where beech beams are used for motor mounting. In addition, it is simpler to hide and duct a IC barrel/cylinder in a box type form. Perhaps the only indulgence was the wing mounted UC, providing a wide track, than the often seen with a firewall mounted UC, of slightly narrower track. I guess it was all about functionality as much as style.

I always thought that the Skiffler by D Platt had more than a hint of the He 100D. You never know PM may have his own take on this one, although the span was already 5" bigger than the 334G

Edited By Erfolg on 10/11/2015 13:27:30

Posted by Erfolg on 10/11/2015 13:07:29:

Perhaps the Harlequin is nearer the ideal Peter?

What are your thoughts?

Erf - Peter has made his nominations, he selected them because each one represented some element in varying degrees of the MB ethos. I think we should not now seek to "steer" the voting in one way or another by asking the nominator which they prefer. Its up to us now to exercise our individual vote and let a decision emerge in a democratic fashion which is a consensus.

BEB

As I was lounging in my bath, glass in hand, yes that annual ritual has come round once again! As I contemplated would I really try and steer the selection process? Taking one more deep and hearty swig of Sarsaparilla and stout, I thought.

Good God no! It would have been a Swamp Rat or Vans RV3 for me.

As the water cooled and the kettle was now empty, I decided it was time to climb out of the bath, empty the bath down the yard, hang the tin bath up and go inside.

Now where is my favourite axe to make the final finishing touches to my latest model, to clear the kitchen table for selected model.

Posted by kc on 10/11/2015 12:55:45:

A proper trophy would be better. However modest the actual trophy something engraved with ones name that can put on the sideboard forever is preferable. Perpetual trophies are liable to be lost so a modest trophy to keep is better. Maybe a sponsor could be found?

Edited By kc on 10/11/2015 12:57:41

I'll chat with David and Beth and see what the Mag can come up with.

BEB