Engine choices for Ballerina?

Hi gents. I am just in the process of defecting to the oily side and am interested in what engines you builders are going to use in their Ballerinas. I have a number of i/c airframes now - all of them 'new to me' and all of them with engines that seem to have been picked on the basis of 'thats the one that was laying around when they built it' - they all fly brilliantly! This also seems to be the ethos reading the threads here. 'I have got xy or z engine and it should go well with that in it' - which is the same as down the patch.

So my question is - If you were looking for a good engine for this airframe what would your choice be, or what are you using? I am looking at used engines due to budget restictions so I am not looking at 'dream power' more good and reliable ones, maybe an old surpass or fs?

Cheers, Simon

Well, mine flies beautifully on an OS FS40 Surpass. There are (or were a couple in the classifieds here.) Don't buy a non surpass version, they are gutless, trust me on this.

You can go for the 48 Surpass or even a .52 four stroke. IT will go faster but still be OK. I have similar sized models with these engines fitted.

On the two stroke side a good SC .32 will fly it nicely but you can go up to .40 size engines. I would not go any bigger or you will lose the character of the model.

Hi folks. Thanks for your input thus far - one more question though - what would be a good size 2 stroke if I went that route? I have been looking around the forums and am getting conflicting ideas. Coming from an electric background from which it is easy to work out what you need as in watts/lb x whatever performance you want (simplified I know, but you get my gist) it is easy to work out motor/esc/lipo required.

With i/c is there a similar way of working the numbers? or is it more experiance as to what is best? The nearest in size I suppose to this is my Acrowot mk2 which I would say is a bit over powered with an old LA65 in it, but is huge fun to fly. With the ballerina which I am intending to build as a FlyBaby cross then a more sedate engine would be in keeping so am thinking a .50 size two stroke?

To coin a phrase 'What would Peter do?'......

Thanks, Simon

Posted by mightypeesh on 16/12/2015 14:03:01:

Coming from an electric background from which it is easy to work out what you need as in watts/lb x whatever performance you want (simplified I know, but you get my gist) it is easy to work out motor/esc/lipo required.

With i/c is there a similar way of working the numbers? or is it more experiance as to what is best?

Thanks, Simon

Lol, it wasn't so long ago it was 100% completely the other way round. smiley

Absolutely everyone knew what i.c. engine to use in any given model but the electric equivalent was a mystery to all but the select band of wizards with their (seemingly) mystical powers of insight into how to harness the volt and the amp enlightened

Posted by mightypeesh on 12/12/2015 10:26:05:

I am looking at used engines due to budget restictions so I am not looking at 'dream power' more good and reliable ones,

Cheers, Simon

Well, I'm going to use a PAW .29 or .35. Up to approx 50% up on the power of an equivalent sized 2st glow, largely through their ability to swing bigger props. Can be picked up very reasonably on ebay if you bide your time. Both mine were under £40 inc p&p, and in vgc

Diesels take a little learning to set up - like anything else you haven't done before - but it's not hard

Even though I'm going electric I have a Super Tiger 34 I've had for years in various airframes (Precedent Funfly, big Lazy Bee and my Limbo Dancer until I converted it to electric) which would be ideal I would think. However Peter's preference for an OS40 fs Surpass would be the best choice IMO for the sound alone.

Geoff

Thanks IanN Just getting my head around glow fueled engines - I expect I will get around to diesel in the future though as I like bucking trends laugh

Thanks Peter, I will look for a OS40 fp then - even my guestimate of a .50 was too much power! I was looking at four strokes, and if one at the right price comes up I will go that route, but due to budget restrictions (and other builds going on) I think I have to go 2 stroke.

It may be my imagination, but since this build has come up the prices for this size fourstokes seem to have crept up......

Thank you, Simon

If you can't get a 40 fs Surpass then either a 48 or a 52 would be alternatives. They are a bit heavier but not hugely so and you don't have to use the extra power. I have a 52 Surpass in a Flair SE5a which doesn't overpower it very much but gives a little extra security if you need it and the extra weight just means a bit less lead.

Geoff

I would suggest asking around at your club for anyone with a .40 two stroke for sale. Bound to be someone who has one to get rid of. Or go to club sales - ordinary engines can go for very little.

The OS 40FP was a fair engine but did not rev, so it turns an 11 by 7 very well. Plain bearing They are old now so 10 to 15 pounds is the sort of price to pay. An Enya 40SS is a better buy and I have seen them on sale at 10 pound to 15 pounds.

I have sent out a few feelers to the club. I have around £70 for the engine, but its more the depreciation I object to - paying for a new engine when I can spend the money on balsa! So I am happy to pay for a newer engine if it is of the right quality.The fs 40 that you pointed out previously has gone unforunately Peter, although the ad is still there and was spot on for my money. I have always has OS engines before (apart from a little .17 MDS that came in something else, and was a challenge that I overcame just to prove I could get it to run!) so have I confidence in buying them second hand as they have always been problem free. There are plenty of other makes out there, is OS really the best or am I narrowing my field needlessly just because of the badge?

Are things like ASP, Evolution or SC really so far behind in terms of quality?

Just a random choice looking at fleabay!

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 16/12/2015 19:28:27

Edited By mightypeesh on 16/12/2015 19:33:02

I am expecting to use an OS48 Surpass that I have looking for a new home. I am planning to invert the engine as I reckon the throttle linkage will be simpler and the engine runs well inverted.

If I had a choice I would use an OS 52 surpass as they are great runners. More power than a 40 yes but you have a throttle to use. Shame that OS 4 strokes are so expensive when new. SC really do not come close for quality.

Regards

Peter (Low pass Pete)

As far as I am concerened SC are brilliant. Perhaps they may not last quite as long but I have yet to wear one out and considering the rpice difference I will go for SC any time.

I only buy OS when I get them cheap on EBay.

Other club members swear by ASP.

I don't think that there is a bad engine on the market today.

All, at the moment I'm planning on using a used os46ax I have on the shelf. But I'm being tempted to opt for a 4 stroke as I've never had one before. My local model shop have offered me a new Saito 56b at a discount. Would this be too over the top for this model?

They haven't got the Saito 40 in but they do have a Saito 30 in stock, again, not on offer?