Engine choices for Ballerina?

+1 for ASP/SC engines....great budget motors. I'd be the first to admit they are not the same quality as OS but not as far behind as the price difference would have you believe. When running them in they do tend to benefit from shorter "hotter" runs rather than longer "rich & spluttering" runs. A little bit like ABC engines really. This tends to help the ring bed in a little better & help with the compression.

Some ASP/SCs are known to be very low on compression straight from the box & warped heads are not unknown leading to poor valve sealing & poor power & running.

I do like the Ballerina & have added it to my "to do" list although I shan't be a mass build participant. As far as engines go I had wondered about using my ASP61 4 stroke....this is exactly the same size as the ASP/SC52 engine but obviously has a little larger capacity. I wondered what The Panel thought of my (possible) choice...wink 2

You can get good OS 52's from swap meets, if you look for a good price. Seen and bought brand new ones for around £50 brand new in box, much less than a SC 30FS.

Be smart and wise - have a look around and you can be surprised what you can get.

Bought a brand new ASP180 FS for £60 once, and a brand new TT 54 FS for .... £15!!!

never bought dud engine 2nd hand before. Know by feeling and looking if it's a good 'un or not. Most engines that are sold at swapmeets are not likely to be knackered, anyway,but if they are, it probably would be obvious, such as having no compression or looks like the prop driver has had a run-in with a mole grips.

Posted by Percy Verance on 20/12/2015 12:41:06:

A member of our club summed up the ASP/SC/OS comparison rather well I thought.

He stated that he felt that at twice the price for an OS, it seemed a lot to pay for an extra 300 revs...........

Perhaps he may have a point?

Whilst I take the general point those additional 300 rpm would represent a noticeable extra bit of power though Percy......

Well I have paid my money and am just admiring a nice little fs48 surpass that came in bang on the money for me. I must admit it is a gorgeous looking bit of engineering and very cute. This is my first FS and am looking forwards to getting her running on the bench. The muffler is a dinky little thing too - I have another FS that I have yet too play with - an ASP 180, This looks tiny in comparison!

Cheers, Simon

Edited By mightypeesh on 22/12/2015 10:08:59

I have to agree,

SC and ASP engines two and four stroke are very good for price. Also great engines to use are Enya two and four strokes though not as cheap as above,very reliable well built and robust...typical japanese quality although probably made in China now due to cost I think only Steve Webb Models in Frodsham are the only suppliers if they are still going!

Steve

Hi Percy,

Hope you are well!

I found that site last week, (I was supposed to be working, I can tell you that not a lot of work got done in the 2 hours or so that I spent reading every page)

I'll agree, loads of useful information that I'm sure I'll be going back to at some point in the near future.

All the best

Mark

Hi Peter. Percy was refering to how 'cute' I found the engine rather than its suitability for this project. I does not take a lot to make me happy! I was showing the fs48 to a relative who was used to working on those big block engines that drag huge vehicles around..... He was absolutely besotted with the engineering in such a small package.

Cheers, Simon