A daft question regarding control snakes

Daft question re snakes…

I’ve been modelling for a number of years, but in all that time I have never used snakes for control runs. For my current project I’m using Gold-N-Rods by Sullivan. So, I’m after any tips on how to screw the threaded rod into the yellow inner cable.

So far, I’ve immersed one end in to hot water which has allowed me to screw the rod in, but is there a better way of achieving this?

Regards

Stumps

Advert

Ensure you have the correct threaded rod - I think that Sullivan are not the same as SLEC etc.  One is a loose fit in the other make, the other way around it would be too tight.  I cannot remember which is smaller but it is dangerous because it might pull out.

If you have the proper short threaded ends then inserting them is easy if you get a metal clevis and bend the arms out to form a handle, screw it onto the threaded bit and then insert a bolt from the other end to jam it. The arms give you some leverage to twist the threaded insert into the snake inner. When it's inserted far enough slacken the jamming bolt to unscrew the clevis. Just finger tightening works on the jamming bolt but actually I increased the head size with some solder. Keep the tool for next time - obviously dont straighten the clevis to use it!

Edited By kc on 24/12/2015 11:44:04

I use a cordless screw driver. Put the threaded rod in the chuck of the drill, then hold the snake inner in one hand,near the end and use the drill on a slow speed to screw it in. Watch for the snake starting to twist and then back the rod out and in, as required. This also works for plastic / nylon clevises and ball-links.

Posted by John Lee on 24/12/2015 11:51:48:

as per JRMan....and make sure you only use the clevises supplied by Sullivan, which have an Imperial thread. I found to my cost that 2mm links superficially fit but will pull off under load.

That's why I usually throw away any hardware supplied in kits originating in the US and replace it with all metric parts. Fortunately kits with what the US sometimes call 'English' threads are becoming rarer as those manufactured in China etc are metric based.

A pity really as the quality is usually excellent but the risk is too high.

Geoff

as per JRMan....and make sure you only use the clevises supplied by Sullivan, which have an Imperial thread. I found to my cost that 2mm links superficially fit but will pull off under load.

Just to stress this point again... the 2/56 and 2mm threaded rods are quite similar and could be accidentally interchanged - and appear to work, at least until some load is applied! So be careful.

And just to confuse things slightly further, it seems from the sullivan website that they've now joined the rest of the world and produce 2mm rods as well as the American 2/56 threaded rods.

Posted by John Privett on 24/12/2015 13:48:39:

Just to stress this point again... the 2/56 and 2mm threaded rods are quite similar and could be accidentally interchanged - and appear to work, at least until some load is applied! So be careful.

And just to confuse things slightly further, it seems from the sullivan website that they've now joined the rest of the world and produce 2mm rods as well as the American 2/56 threaded rods.

At least they appear to be colour coding the metric ones with white inners...