Paul's Ballerina Build

Advert

Paul, have you built the tail from a solid sheet or have you made a build up structure. In both cases, would yoy make me a favour? Could you weigh the tail group (rud, stab, fin and elev) and let me know how much is it? Kc made his of solid sheet and the weight is 65 grams. I'll make a build up one and the more I thunk about it the more I'm convince that I can beat these 65!

I didn't realise it needed to go all the way down between the blocks of balsa, on the plan it has a heavy outline around the fin so I thought it was just a triangle without the extra bit. Don't worry I am not criticising the plan, just my own bad interpretation, I am glad I didn't cut the bits out yet.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 25/12/2015 16:49:23

Second point.]

The small trailing edge is fitted AFTER the top and bottom trailing edge sheet has ben fitted. In fact the wing is built over the leading edge sheet ans trailing edge 1/16" sheet. The trailing edge is addes after the trailing edge is complete.

I am pretty sure that I described the squence in the instructions.

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 25/12/2015 16:47:53:
I didn't realise it needed to go all the way down between the blocks of balsa, on the plan it has a heavy outline around the fin so I thought it was just a triangle without the extra bit. Don't worry I am not criticising the plan, just my own bad interpretation, I am glad I didn't cut the bits out yet.

Edited By WolstonFlyer on 25/12/2015 16:49:23

There is a photo that shows the shapes of the tail parts in the article. I sure that there is.

Paul, I think you are talking about the slots for spars, so surely just moving the spar by about 2mm would allow the ribs to fit? Actually Peter's instructions in RCME say " position the rear spar by using a couple of ribs to get the location correct" which should cover this slight error on the RCME plan.

I have to say that Peter's own drawing shows this accurately but the RCME drawing varies by about 2mm

If you look at Paul's photo and compare with the photo in Peter's article you will notice that Paul has not followed the same method of wing building.

Peter's photo and instructions in RCME describe putting the lower LE sheeting down first and building upon that. I have followed that method on another of Peter's designs ( Swamp Rat ) and found it produced a straight wing very easily. Putting the LE edge sheeting on afterwards can cause problems. I advise others to follow the written instructions exactly- it's a good method. It allows for the slight curvature of the ribs and allows building flat on the board because the LE sheeting raises the ribs up slightly.