Craig's first build Ballerina

Advert

Wire benders are about 32 pounds now in UK but a very handy item to have.

One of the Ballerina threads showed a homemade and very simple bender which you could copy. Otherwise ask around your club and see if anyone can bend an u/c for you. It's also possible a club actually has equipment like this for members to borrow - very often the equip gets ' forgotten about' ( equals borrowed but never returned! ) Ask around.

Edited By kc on 17/02/2016 17:51:29

under2218_150312.jpgunder10218_150302.jpgWell, today I thought I would fit the UC to see what it's like on the wing. It doesn't look too bad but the proof will be when the model is complete and sat on the ground.

Had a post man deliver a parcel today from slec. You really can't knock there service, second to none in my opinion.

Anyway, I ordered a bigger sheet of ply for the doublers. I know it would have been OK with a join, but I liked the comment "why spoil the ship for a hapeth of tar'. So thought better of it. I've cut the doublers out roughly and once stuck yo the balsa I will and down.

double dry0218_150125.jpg

Craig, those wheels look as though they are not in line ( although it could be an illusion) if so you need to tweak the piano wire ( maybe both) to get them correct. Just undo them and stick the upright at the wing end in a vice and use something to grip them and give it a tug in the correct direction. You might use a ring spanner looped over the wire to get leverage. It does not take much force just a bit. Try to get both axles exactly under the LE which is more important than the looks.

True Peter. I need to quick advice. I'm just about to glue the doublers onto the fuse side. Opened the new tin of paint for the job and its not what I was expecting. I thought it was gonna be the clear smelly stuff but it's a white colour. It's solvent free. Will this be ok for bonding the doublers?evo19_133903.jpg

SH£T F@&k BAS@&£D I don't pi££img believe it.

All the time I took to to make sure I didn't make to fuse sides the same, what have I done?????????????

Done the first one lovely, all glued up and drying. Done the second one, made sure it was the right way and what did I do? Put the glue on the wrong side of the doubler. GRRRRRRRRRR

Tried to scrap it off and re glued the other side it's now drying but I fear I may have to make another fuse side

Once the glue has dried I'll try and sand off the remaining glue

Bloody hell

Now if you have any acetone you might find that t will make the glue turn rubbery and peel off. Maybe some other solvent could as well but O}I know that acetone does work with the impact adhesives that I use.

And can you guess how I found out? You are not the only one!!!

Oh and you are about to have your keeyboard washed out with soap and waterangry

Edited By Peter Miller on 19/02/2016 15:13:23

Craig.

Oh dear. I have never , never , never ever done anything as daft as that apart from the time I made two left hand wings oh and I forgot another occasion same as you . Sorry I forgot !! Best of luck. The acetone does work (I nicked a bit of nail polish remover from the wife and it sort of did the job ) Put it behind you . You can always build another side and keep this as a spare one in the event of a mishap! Look forward to seeing yours finished.

Well guys. Disaster averted. Been to check the sides this afternoon and they have glued great. Not warped and doublers are secure. I have even managed to get the dry glue off the inside where I messed up. It almost peeled away. Just rubbed it with a micro fibre cloth and eventually it beaded up and could be removed. I don't think I would have been so lucky though if I would have had to remove it from the balsa. Had to rub pretty hard. Sanding didn't really work,

fuse side220_140157.jpg