Craig's first build Ballerina

Hi Craig.

As Chris said there are many ways of doing it and all will produce the correct end result.

I just cut the outline from my photocopied plan, stick it on my balsa sheet with double sided tape and draw around it. Once the first side is cut its used as a template for cutting the second. Then just a bit of judicious sanding if needed to tidy up being carefull to keep edges square and the outline accurate to the plan particularly ,as Chris said, the wing and tail seats. The same goes for the doublers.

Nice build by the way good luck with the fuz.

Regards

John

Advert

Same as Chris tracing paper/greaseproof kitchen roll, trace the main part draw vertical line then add the extra bit, I pin to sheet with drawing pins, mark one out, cut it use to draw around next one, clamp together and sand up, get both sheets as close in hardness/bend as possible so they take same shape when pulled in at back.

John

You could use tracing paper ( or greaseproof ) and stick it to the balsa with a few 1/2 inch lengths of double sided tape then cut right through the tracing paper into the wood. Remove double sided tape as soon as possible after cutting in case it sticks too well.

Or use photocopies in the same way. Multiple A4 copies can be sellotaped togther to form a long fuselage. Cut each A4 copy at suitable vertical mark ( former edge ) and just leave a trace of the line. Assemble all A4 bits using a straightedge to align . Then double sided tape onto the balsa, cut right thro photocopies into balsa. That makes one side - draw around this side onto balsa for the second side. Then use the balsa to mark out the ply doublers.

Thank for the the advice guys. I'll keep you updated to my progress when I get to that stage. I'm a little bit reluctant to start the fuse until my fuse jig arrives. I subscribed to RCME I at the start of December and am still waiting for my subscription gift to arrive.

Anyway, made a little more progress on the wing this afternoon. I've filled the centre section with scrap balsa for the wing bolts, I've added the top sheeting, shapped the LE and cut out the ailarons.

topsheet131_134006.jpg

topsheet231_134018.jpg

ailaron141815.jpg

ailpro1_141827.jpg

I have to say, I think the most rewarding part of the build so far was releasing the ailarons. It probably sounds silly but it was almost like watching the birth of a pair of twins. 😂😂😂 Anyway, I've just got to shapped the bevel of the ailarons and the wings just about done. 👍👍👍😇😇😇

Not going to be getting much done over the next few week. But will be popping to the model shop for the last few bits. First thing on the list is the tank. I'm going to opt for a SLEC tank. Never tried one before, I normally go with dubro. Size wise, does anyone know what will fit? The ballerina doesn't seem to have such a big tank area.

Very nice build for your first one, Craig.

I already learned a lot from your wing build. Wondering a bit if I will be able to apply all that info when I'll be starting mine. indecision

Sorry to disappoint you on this, but mine will be leccy as well... blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR 4S Control

Never mind. I see on the news that EEzyjet are planning to fit electric motors to their wheels so that they can taxi without engine power. THis will involve a big battery and motors.

THis will save on burning fuel on the ground. However the extra weight will mean that they will need to burn more fuel in the air according to the Ezyjet man being interviewed.

They say that Cranfield Institute f Technology is working on the idea.

Never mind, it looks and sounds good to the masses.

Not had much time for building this week, in fact I've had no time so the build has made no progress this week. But I did find myself popping into the model shop. I've got the throttle servo and the tank. Went for the red slec tank. I also bought another sheet of 1/8 ply so I can re cut f2 out in proper ply instead of lite ply. I'll feel more happy knowing I've used the correct material.

No I reckon you'll cope with it Craig, one way is to cut the shapes out of 1/64 ply and attach to the fuzz cut out whilst it's sat on the wing, ply cut cross grain so it bends to the shape easier and use some polythene to prevent sticking to the wing, then fill in the fillets with soft balsa.

Have a look at Dannys Chippy thread..... page 39 ish

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 08/02/2016 17:12:43

Edited By john stones 1 on 08/02/2016 17:13:22