What certification do you intend to try and obtain in the next 12 months?

No A is OK?

Consider this. Society is letigious. Laweys/Judges/CAA et al know little or nothing about flying RC models so they call in experts. They start with the BMFA/LMA/SAA etc who have jointly confered on what they consider to be best practice for flying RC models. This with the CAA involvement becomes CAP 658. CAP 658 is not law, but is considered to be the aforementioned best practice.

Now, imagine the court considering why you are not adhering to the advice of the bodies who put this best practice together in attaining their safe solo standard of flight especially as the framework exists to easily undertake it.

Yes these are personal achievement schemes and yes they are not mandatory and yes most clubs will expect you achieve some standard before letting you loose on your own but one day it is entirely possible that certification will become mandatory. Imagine the muck flying here then from the "I've been flying since Ikarus was a lad, nobody's going to tell me what to do" brigade. Myron may well explode!

Andy

Advert

Posted by Slopetrashuk on 08/01/2016 20:41:03:
Advisory and Best Practice are slightly different things. You are free not to follow advice but would be wise to follow the best practices of the advisors to the law.

If it came to a court case and it could be proved that you were in breach of CAP 658 then a decent claim of negligence could be constructed against you even though CAP 659 is Advisory it is issued by the CAA the legal governing body so would carry weight in court as an "expert witness" would

Posted by DH 82A on 09/01/2016 12:37:53:

BMFA dropped us all into the arms of the lawyers, the minute they introduced these tests.

Absolute nonsense. Whether you hold any certification or not has absolutely no bearing on whether you are operating lawfully. If your statement had any semblance of reality it would have proven to be an issue at some point over the last 30 or so years since the tests were introduced. Ther has been precislet zero cases where either holding a certificate or not has had any effect on either insurance claims or any legal matter.

Posted by Andy Symons - BMFA on 09/01/2016 16:02:01:
Posted by DH 82A on 09/01/2016 12:37:53:

BMFA dropped us all into the arms of the lawyers, the minute they introduced these tests.

Absolute nonsense. Whether you hold any certification or not has absolutely no bearing on whether you are operating lawfully. If your statement had any semblance of reality it would have proven to be an issue at some point over the last 30 or so years since the tests were introduced. Ther has been precislet zero cases where either holding a certificate or not has had any effect on either insurance claims or any legal matter.

Maybe not yet, but it will happen.

Voted for my fixed wing 'B' on this, really need to get it done this year. Gary rawlings and another examiner did my test back in about 2001 but despite my many phone calls at the time after i waited over a month, gary never sent off my paperwork and so i never got my 'b' certificate!

Due to life I came out of r/c flying from between about 2002-2012 so hopefully this year if i can, I will get the opportunity to do it at some point!

Edited By Marc Osbourne on 13/01/2016 00:57:01

TBH, Neil, with 13 categories already I think it would make the poll a bit choice-heavy. I would say that the SAA levels fairly closely approximate to the BMFA scheme, so selecting the closest would be fine. We have members all over the world here and if they choose to vote, I'd expect them to do that in line with their national schemes.

Pete

I put a fixed wing 'A' in the poll and much to my surprise I achieved it on Sunday.

Many thanks to all the Waveney club members who stood by me and freezed their thingies off whilst I described some unusual manoeuvers in the sky in practise for the event.

Edited By Bob Bertram on 21/01/2016 21:26:37

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Bob Bertram on 21/01/2016 21:20:07:

I put a fixed wing 'A' in the poll and much to my surprise I achieved it on Sunday.

Many thanks to all the Waveney club members who stood by me and freezed their thingies off whilst I described some unusual manoeuvers in the sky in practise for the event.

Edited By Bob Bertram on 21/01/2016 21:26:37

Bit late Bob but congratulations anyway smiley

John