Just another Ballerina

A man isn't measured by how many glue pots he possesses! wink

Yep lots of different glues for different jobs and materials.

Beatrice is now fully trained to stay in the cockpit during inverted maneuvers with the assistance of 2 screws under her arm pits. The engine has also undergone a service with a new piston ring, valve adjustment and a bit of a clean before final installation and the cowl has been drilled and screwed into it's final position.

20160216_210714.jpg

Still need to sort out the CoG, instruments and some decals but a Vulcan needs skinning and a Canadair needs wiring as well! The evenings are getting brighter... laugh

Done a little bit more over the last few days as well as built the Canadair from HK.

Had a bit of a session with the vinyl cutter to produce some markings.

20160220_125941.jpg

I paid my 9 year old daughter 50p to weed out the unwanted vinyl. It took her nearly an hour! laugh

Gave her a bit of a clean with brake cleaner (the Ballerina that is, not my daughter) and applied the vinyl

20160220_134416.jpg

Not copied off John but great minds must think alike! wink

20160220_134426.jpg

20160220_134439.jpg

This afternoon I put her together to get some photos outside and to sort out the CoG. Still 15mm forward from the marked position on the plan so either need some tail weight of maybe a fancier sprung steerable tail wheel. Looks like the wheel boots won't be too snaggy on the grass and the prop has a good clearance to the ground.

20160221_122442.jpg

The photos outside more accurately reflect the colours, dark green and cream. In the shed the cream looks more yellow in the photos! sad

20160221_122631.jpg

20160221_122649.jpg

20160221_122708.jpg

20160221_122725_001.jpg

So now I know where the battery is going I can set up the RX and switch. Must remember to connect up the ailerons as well!

20160221_124054.jpg

One job when cutting the vinyl was to cut two 40mm circles. One to patch the very annoying hole where the heat gun popped the covering and another to match on the other side!

20160221_123904.jpg

Thanks all. I've been trying for a 1930's era look since I first saw Peters blog and photos! blush

I realised from my last post I still haven't done anything about the instrument panel so after clearing the bench a little I sorted it out!

I started by downloading and printing a selection of instruments onto gloss photo paper.

20160221_173922.jpg

Then I cut a piece of 1/32" ply to the same shape as F3 and cut some holes in it to the same size as the dials I wanted to use with a tapered reamer. A drill bit would just rag up the thin ply.

20160221_173902.jpg

The dials were roughly cut out from the photo paper and laid out in order and the right way up to prevent mistakes! After sanding with 400G I coloured the panel with a black marker pen, making sure to colour the edges of the holes too.

20160221_174900.jpg

I put a small amount of canopy glue onto a tin lid

20160221_174907.jpg

and using a coffee stirrer applied a small amount to each corner where a dial was to go.

20160221_174934.jpg

The dials were carefully positioned to line up through the holes and stuck down onto the glue dots.

20160221_175408.jpg

The dials were printed on glossy photo paper so that when viewed from different angles they will hopefully look like they're behind glass

20160221_175544.jpg

After an hour the finished panel was divided up into squares to break up the plain ply look and glued onto F3 in the cockpit with aliphatic

20160221_184210.jpg

20160221_184222~2.jpg

Looks OK from 3' away so that'll do for me! laugh

Very, very neat.

While I was reading this I remembered an idea that I think I picked up somewhere.

They make plastic rod in various sizes. Get one a little bigger than the plywood and usung heat form it round a suitable mandrel. into a sort of spring shape.

Cut the circles off and if you paint them black carefully glue them into the cut out circles (These need to be sightly bigger than the instrument faces) You get the impression of the instruments sticking slightly through the panel.

Funny you should say that Peter as I was wondering how I could get a round bezel look to the instruments! I was thinking of somehow scoring the ply with a scalpel blade but was sure I'd mess it up first. I suppose you could use small brass or copper wire too and add some easy wear marks.

Thanks for the idea, I'll be trying that in the future! yes

Yes, you could.

Not sure what you mean by "Easy wear marks" but instruments do not normally get any wear marks. If there is an adustent control it might get a but oof polish and any mounting screws might possible lose a fraction of paint around the screwdriver slt.

Basically I would say don't try for wear as the panels rarely get marked and that includes military aircraft as well.

Has anyone used O rings for instrument casing? They must be available in all sorts of sizes.

The Boddington scale book suggests casting resin into a plasticene mould for instrument casings, but maybe that is now a project for a 3D prnter....

Edited By kc on 22/02/2016 14:19:01

Thanks KC.

Was looking at some Boddington books on Amazon last week and might treat myself to a couple.

A quick update, but no photos yet.

All RC gear is now installed, set up and tested. Tailwheel has been fitted and the CoG set. Will be running the engine today and checking RX again including range test.

Might get a maiden tomorrow! laugh

Thanks Jack. I know that a lot of people follow the blogs without commenting and that's fine. It's all entertainment especially with the weather we've been having recently. yes

A couple of photo's following the radio installation. The battery is located on velcro to the cockpit floor and supported by foam which will sit on the top of the wing when fitted. RX is velcro'd to the fuselage side and the RX switch is fitted to the same side just above the wing seat.

20160227_173218.jpg

20160227_173148.jpg

The tail wheel is just a basic unit with a piece of silicone fuel tube to absorb some of the knocks and prevent them from being transmitted to the rudder servo. The tail of the Ballerina is sitting quite high at the moment so I'll bend the wheel arm a little more to make it sit lower at the tail.

20160227_173230.jpg

Finally ran the engine in for 2 tanks to seat the new piston ring. The Slec tank gives around 18 minutes at half throttle so I'll set the timer to 12 minutes.

This is how a Ballerina should sound! wink

Beatrice reports that the engine is running rich and not too hot and has requested that the old "F" plug be changed for a new one after bedding in the new ring!

Thanks John. I can safely say it really does fly how she looks! laugh

Maiden flight this afternoon. Had a little taxi test first to make sure the boots wouldn't snag on the strip and dropped a wheel straight into a hoof hole halfway up the boot! Not really a test as those kind of holes tug wheels off!

There were a couple of members at the club so a discrete, private maiden wasn't on the cards! With Paul on the camera I taxied her out to the strip, final checks before opening the throttle to see what happens! A short run then she hit one of the many humps in the strip and leapt into the air and into a nice climb out. A trimming circuit and some up trim and she was buzzing around quite nicely. No drama or skittish behaviour just a gentle flyer! She felt quite light and floaty in the wind and would easily cope with a little more weight if you're building heavy.

A few circuits and low passes followed and after about 6 minutes I called a landing. With the 6mph wind she just floated in to the strip, touching down on a rut but the undercarriage handled it just fine.

Paul did an excellent job on the video with some good close ups in flight. All in, an excellent model and credit to Mr Miller another fantastic flyer. yes

Video here if any of the guys would like to see what they're getting when they've finished building. laugh

I think it's still a little nose heavy John. I'll try another 2g on the tail as she's already spot on the CoG but the nose was dropping a little in the turns.

2nd flight was a little more exploratory with some simple aerobatics thrown in, for evaluation purposes of course! The rudder is huge and very effective for stall turns etc. Needed very little rudder in rolls which were sedate but not slow. The loops were a little more aggressive but still not too tight, just nice and scale like.

She is very lightly loaded though and was showing up every little bump of turbulence and gusts. She'll look a little untidy in the wind if you leave her alone but I expect she'll be a dream on those calm summer evenings. laugh

Hi Chris

thats great news. That is at least 4 completed now. I have enjoyed this mb more than most. It's nice to get back to a one model community project

regarding your nose down in turns, have you considered aileron differential as being a possible cause? Just a thought if the inboard aileron was more draggy rather than the outer one - a bit like reverse aileron yaw.

Best wishes

Martyn