Just another Ballerina

Chris your cockpit looks great. I have been scratching my head how to approach the combing. I had thought of using split fuel tubing painted once fitted. In the past I have used electric flex outer sheath as well. The chamois is a brilliant idea.

I have also been searching for some suitable pilots. The choice these days is not really great unless you want something that looks lifeless. I recall there was a company called Petes Pilots that had some good product but sadley no more.

Peter

Thanks guys. The coaming is just something I discovered when building my Puppeteer years ago. I tries rubber fuel tubing but wasn't happy with it at all, it just didn't look right but I had already glued it on! In an attempt to make it look better I considered wrapping it in leather but didn't have any and like Peter said before leather from craft shops etc is expensive so I tried to stain a piece of chamois to make it look like leather, but just made a mess. I had another go but painted it with Humbrol gloss which worked much better but cracked and flaked when dry and when I tried flexing it. The final attempt was to wrap the coaming around the fuel tubing, sticking it with cyano and painting it with Tamiya acrylic at the end.

20160212_234600.jpg

When I restored a Tiger Moth before Christmas I made the head butt pads from foam and chamois, painted them with gloss brown and when dry flexed and scratched them to try to get an old distressed look.

20160212_234547.jpg

It really is a nice material to work with and very cheap (got mine from Halfords). Ideal for older style models.

Just an hour or so on the Ballerina tonight. Got the elevator and rudder connected up to the servos and set up the throttle linkage for the engine.

20160212_234634.jpg

These bits were done between spraying coats of high build plastic primer on the cowl. It's now had 3 coats and is ready for flatting down. The first few coats will be used to fill and minor blemishes, scratches and pin holes in the GF and so nearly all the primer will be sanded away with 600G.

20160212_234720.jpg

Thanks John. The problem with GF stuff is that any blemishes left in the preperation show through in the final gloss coat and if you're not happy with it you're back to flatting it down again with wet & dry, primer, flatting and gloss coats again! If you're happy with little nibs and pin holes it's not so bad but if your standards are really high then it's going to take a bit of time. At the end of the day nobody is going to notice much when it's on the front of a model flying at 50'

Sanded the primer this morning and got it on the heater to dry out. The filler primer is very good at filling tiny holes of the glass cloth and even scratches you didn't see!

20160213_131924.jpg

20160213_132012.jpg

I only sanded it until the primer was removed from the high spots, leaving paint in the low areas. The cowl then received another 2 thin coats of primer.

20160213_132253_001.jpg

This will be lightly sanded with 600g before moving onto the gloss coat. I used a plastic shopping bag over my hand and arm and pushed my fist inside the cowl to hold it. This meant that I could spray right up to the edge of the cowl without spraying my sleeve, which would upset the wife again! surprise It also prevents yellow primer shapes being sprayed onto my hand through the various cut outs!

I really like (love?) your cowl, Chris A.

Very promising & making me a bit envious.

If I may allow myself a tip before your final sanding. Just take an spray can of a contrasting color to your primer. In your case, black should be perfect. Lay down your cowl on a piece of cardboard and spray to it from a distance of about 50-60cm, not pointing at it, but aiming higher above the cowl. The 'paint mist' (fog?) will descend to the cowl & form some very tiny droplets on it. Let it dry and just use the 'drops' as a sanding guide allowing you to avoid over sanding an area or not sanding off enough another one. When all black 'marks' are gone, you're done... Simples.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Spray Control

@ John, you(re perfectly right in most of the cases, but composite structures seem to have a 'better life' than ali or covered surfaces;also depending on the 'person' in charge of the'care', of course.

I could show you some pics (they're on ol' deceased pc) off my former full scale txo seater EXP looking like it was 'just born'.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Composite Care Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 13/02/2016 21:43:43

John, if this was a scale model I'd definately go for a used look, especially a warbird in active service! yes As it's more a sport model I'm going for a shiny new look except perhaps for the exhaust eflux. Them inline engines can get quite sooty!

Chris, by the time I read your post I'd already sanded and sprayed the first light coat before I went out! I'll try using an overspray coat on the Mosquito when I get around to it as that'll be covered in epoxy glass.

Peter, I had to giggle when I read your last post! TBH even the most loved and carefully looked after models suffer dirty and chipped paintwork too, especially after ploughing into the strip! wink If this Ballerina goes in it'd better be tail first and save the cowl! yes

Well, back to the warm shed for the final gloss coat.....

Final coat applied and touch dry. laugh

I have very carefully assembled the cowl onto the fuselage for a couple of photos but it is still going to be relatively soft so I've finished early for the night so I don't mess it up! Still needs buffing to a shine after it's fully cured but looks like this so far.

20160213_224504.jpg

20160213_224552.jpg

20160213_224623.jpg

20160213_224644.jpg

20160213_230413.jpg

Overall it's a very close colour match considering the yellow colour of the primer underneath. After it's hardened for a day I'll drill it and screw it down!

Peter. My models come out of the workshop dusty, not weathered! I have tried flying the dust off but mustn't be going fast enough!

This is the first time I've had to use solarlaq to match solarfilm and I'm very impressed with the colour match. Definitely worth the extra postage cost instead of running around trying to match it myself.

Edited By Chris Barlow on 15/02/2016 11:30:41

Posted by John Milne on 15/02/2016 11:40:16:

Now that's another proper workshop yes.

You've got more glues and potions in there than I've ever used in my lifetime.

Well, I can't recognise all his but.

Aliphatic resin, Superphatic glue, CA hot, CA odourless, Spray impact adhesive, 5 minute epoxy, Spraymount, Acetone, Meths, Filler paste, Silicone sealant, Bakers Fluid, Sanding sealer, Davids Isopon. I think that is about all that I have.

On the shelf there is...
Aliphatic, superphatic, PVA, thin & thick cyano, 5 min 20 min & 30 min epoxy, finishing resin, cyano kicker, spray contact adhesive, brake cleaner, canopy glue, UHU glue, airbrush cleaner, prit stick, stick stuff remover...
Under the bench there's std cellulose, anti bloom cellulose, acetone, white spirit, a high mouse and a dead cat!
I'm not listing whats in the paint cpd, there's a lot!