Just another Ballerina

A few examples of wire benders there & I'm sure it gives a few ideas how to knock one up from bits in the shed.

Speaking of sheds, not much time spent in mine tonight due to babysitting my kids. (I'm told by my wife that it's not babysitting when it's your own kids but I disagree!) Vicky was out visiting her Dad in hospital and then a committee meeting for the pre-school so I had to pick up the daughter from Brownies and be nice to her! Buttering her up for getting a doll off her!

But I managed to get out around 10pm to do a bit more. First off though, for John, along with a new foamie from HobbyKing I recieved this today.

20160202_232022.jpg

Just over £2, quite rough in the moulding but damn that blade's sharp!

20160202_232037.jpg

20160202_232101.jpg

Not sure how long it'll last but cuts just fine, in fact probably better than a new blade in a scalpel as it isn't dragged along the material to be cut so doesn't pull the fibres. Especially nice with glass cloth!

20160202_232215.jpg

Putting that to one side for later I got on with sanding the lumps off the cowl. It looks quite smooth but a quick scuff with sandpaper in a sponge block soon shows up the high spots.

20160202_225518.jpg

20160202_225550.jpg

And bubbles that turn into dimples when sanded!

20160202_225534.jpg

After the cowl was completely sanded flat it was given a final smooth coat of resin and left to harden.

20160202_230832.jpg

After a coffee it was time for the fun part! The resin was hard enough not to be tacky so I made a start on removing the foam plug from inside the cowl.

A small opening, about 2" was cut into the packing tape at the rear of the cowl and a McDonalds ketchup pot of petrol slowly dribbled over it. I use petrol because for some reason acetone has no effect on this pink foam!

20160203_000627.jpg

As the foam is eaten away I could start to get more and more petrol into the hole without it spilling out

20160203_001119.jpg

You can just see where the petrol has started seeping between the foam and packing tape

20160203_001141.jpg

Now it starts getting cool! About 50ml of petrol later...

20160203_001410.jpg

Just standing there watching it go!

20160203_001423.jpg

Finally the remaining pieces are small enough to grab with long nosed pliers and remove through the small opening, leaving the packing tape inside the cowl.

20160203_002134.jpg

And because the polyester resin won't stick to the plastic packing tape it starts to separate on it's own!

20160203_002145.jpg

Finally after easing the packing tape "bag" from inside the cowl and wiping it dry it can be tested on the nose. The moment of truth!

20160203_002506.jpg

20160203_002516.jpg

The outside of the cowl is now pretty much smooth and the wrinkles you can see are on the inside. At this point it's quite fragile and bendy and the next step is to line the inside with more cloth and resin. I have done it this way around this time to try to reduce the amount of sanding and smoothing required after each coat on the outside of the cowl.

Edited By Chris Barlow on 03/02/2016 01:34:04

I've ordered my film n servos and forgot the cutter crook

A few questions because I've never moulded a cowl, I thought you had to add extra layers within a certain time or is just roughing up good enough ? is there any danger of distortion when you start laying up inside the cowl because it creates heat and what about cleaning of the petrol ? just soapy water ?

Looks good so far though yes

John

My wire bender is just the same as Peter's except that it's not fixed to a bench but to a block of 4x 2 timber which can be clamped in the vice. ( suitable ends of 4x2 are thrown away all the time by builders )

Just as with the wire bender I think the fibreglass cowl sequence needs it's own thread so that anyone can find it in future. It's a magnificent example of how-to-do-it - thanks Chris.

Posted by john stones 1 on 03/02/2016 12:19:03:

I've ordered my film n servos and forgot the cutter crook

A few questions because I've never moulded a cowl, I thought you had to add extra layers within a certain time or is just roughing up good enough ? is there any danger of distortion when you start laying up inside the cowl because it creates heat and what about cleaning of the petrol ? just soapy water ?

Looks good so far though yes

John

There is a time period where the curing resin is giving off a lot of gasses and fumes which can effect the bond and finish of an overlying layer but generally as long as it's hard and cooled down it should be OK. Extra layers can be added any time in the future but as with any adhesive the substrate must be clean, dry and free of any contaminations. Scuffing the cured GF just provides a mechanical key to help the next layer bond to it.

With only 2 layers of cloth and the fact that the top layer has been sanded this cowl is still very thin and flexible and will bend and crack if handled roughly. The heat during curing won't be a problem as long as the cowl isn't supported in a stressed or twisted position. What can cause a problem is if the resin isn't mixed thoroughly and one area of the cowl cures faster than another. Simple answer is to mix the resin thoroughly and only use one batch at a time!

Most of the petrol (or acetone, depending which is used) is contained inside the packing tape "bag" removed at the end. There shouldn't be too much left as the petrol is added as it's needed so must of it should be in the goo! Any that escapes onto the cured resin will make it tacky again and must be washed of with water or just a wet cloth. To be certain the cowl could be rinsed in a bucket of water but don't do it in the kitchen sink for safety reasons!

Have a go with it John. You'll soon be making cowls, wheel spats, undercarriages etc!

Posted by kc on 03/02/2016 13:12:18:

Just as with the wire bender I think the fibreglass cowl sequence needs it's own thread so that anyone can find it in future. It's a magnificent example of how-to-do-it - thanks Chris.

I read about lost foam GF moulding when I was about 15 and had a go but only really succeeded in making a lumpy cowl and a lot of mess! Years later I spotted Peter Garsdens build blog for his PSS lost foam Tornado and decided to have another go for my Super Cub Cowl. Peter is at it again with another lost foam project, a slope soaring Jart L so there's plenty of threads on lost foam moulding already!

laugh yes

Posted by Martyn K on 03/02/2016 13:23:19:

I agree. What we need is for these Geniuses to write articles describing their techniques and have them uploaded into a MasterClass

I'd be a genius if I could figure out a way to make money from it! laugh

I just learn a lot, either from other people of from experience! yes

Been busy over the last couple of days with babysitting and parents evenings at school so not much progress on the Ballerina. Just a few final bits making the cowl.

A layer of cloth on the inside to increase the strength

20160205_212727.jpg

and some re-inforcing with glass tissue in a few areas i.e the chin, bottom of the cowl and rear opening where it will be screwed to the fuselage

20160205_212811.jpg

20160205_212819.jpg

You don't want to use a lot of the tissue as it absorbs a lot of resin and is very heavy. It also becomes much harder and stronger than the cloth so I only use it where I need it!

Tissue on the left & cloth on the right.

20160205_212907.jpg

Whilst the cowl was still transparent I marked the bulkhead position, exhaust header, rocker cover and glow plug positions and cut them out with a circular disk in a Dremel. I added 15mm to the bulkhead marks so the cowl will overlap the fuselage. You can also see the re-inforcing ban through the cowl.

20160205_212744.jpg

20160205_220716.jpg

Remote glow plug marked and drilled, first with a 5mm drill the opened up with a tapered reamer to prevent the GF from tearing.

20160205_221546.jpg

The nose was also opened up for the prop shaft and cooling slot for the engine.

20160205_220536.jpg

Finally holes made for the low and high speed needles, drilled first with a 3mm drill bit, cowl fitted and positions checked, then opened up with a tapered reamer. The 3mm holes can be adjusted with the reamer by applying more pressure on one side when reaming the holes.

20160205_223300.jpg

20160205_223341.jpg

Next photo shows the slots at the sides of the fuselage for engine cooling

20160205_220747.jpg

Total weight before paint is 41g

20160205_225715.jpg

and now looks like this when fitted

20160205_220633.jpg

20160205_220758.jpg

Now for some wet & dry sanding, filler and primer!

A few options there John.

As the dark green covering is Solarfilm I could use their paint range which is supposed to match.

I could get a colour match by taking a sample to be scanned.

I could paint it a contrasting cowl colour like silver or black

or I could still use film over the primer, that doesn't sound easy!

I might try covering it with film and if it doesn't work I can still paint it! surprise

Posted by john stones 1 on 06/02/2016 13:32:10:

3rd ones cheating. cheeky

John

But very tempting! I had a bit of a go at covering it with film, more of an experiment but it didn't go so well! surprise

Even cutting a few intricate shapes in the film and careful planning how I was going to get around the compound curves I still had a few creases and the joints were a bit visable. So that idea has been scrapped, the cowl cleaned and some Solarlac dark green paint ordered!

Meanwhile it has been 5 days since my last update and to be honest for 3 of them I've not done anything! The cowl has been sanded with 400g wet and dry and minor dimples filled with P38 car body filler, and sanded again ready for primer.

20160206_193354.jpg

20160206_202219.jpg

The cockpit and boots have been sealed and painted on the inside too.

20160206_193329.jpg

20160206_193249.jpg

That should help prevent the ply from rotting from all the mud they're going to collect! laugh

I've also added the cockpit coaming. This was done using one of my favourite model materials, the chamois leather cloth! I like it because it's very stretchy and supple and will conform to most shapes. It also smells great!

I cut a strip of the cloth long enough to go all the way around the cockpit opening and about 20mm wide. This was coated with contact adhesive as was a 5mm band on the inside and outside of the cockpit opening.

20160206_232419.jpg

20160206_232429.jpg

When the glue was dry to the touch one edge of the cloth was attached to the outside edge of the cockpit, keeping it a constant 5mm. A length of fuel tubing was placed around the cockpit and the cloth folded over and bonded to the band of adhesive on the intside of the cockpit. Because the fuel tuning is thicker than the balsa it forms a nice rolled edge.

I also made a head rest by shaping a piece of 3/8 balsa and wrapping it with the cloth, bonded with contact adhesive again. The cloth is so stretchy it's easy to get a creaseless wrap around the curves of the head rest.

20160207_000632.jpg

20160207_000638.jpg

20160207_001438.jpg

20160207_001449.jpg

The cloth was then trimmed back flush with the back of the head rest.

20160207_001832.jpg

This was then glued on to the back of the cockpit.

20160207_002233.jpg

The chamois leather takes paint easily and when painted takes on a stiffer, more leathery texture.

20160211_221015.jpg

Today I had a couple of new arrivals. Firstly, the ali spinner, which lines up nicely with the cowl and is quite pointy!

20160211_220932.jpg

And Beatrice, the Ballerina pilot!

20160211_221159.jpg

20160211_230415.jpg

My daughter was quite pleased I wanted to use one of her dolls in my aeroplane untill she asked how it was going to fit inside the cockpit. "Her legs won't fit in" she said to which I foolishly replied "that's OK, I don't need her legs. I'm going to cut her off at the waist and glue her in"

Needless to say the offer was rapidly rescinded and a visit to Ebay required!

I have also fitted the wind shield to protect Bea's makeup! I cut a template from thin card after a bit of head scratching and tried it in position, trimming as I went until I had a shape that followed the edge of the coaming. The shape of the template was then transferred to a sheet of clear plastic and cut with scissors.

20160211_231725.jpg

I didn't get a photo of the shape before fitting it so have taken a photo of the removed protective backing! blush

This was initially pinned in position with a couple of M2 nuts and bolts in the corners...

20160211_230400.jpg

the front edge was sealed with car bodywork fine line vinyl masking tape then superphatic glue was run between the screen and the cockpit coamimg. The masking tape prevents the glue from escaping!

20160211_230347.jpg

20160211_231505.jpg

20160211_231457.jpg

The glue has been left to set over night. Beatrice looks happy with it!