Petition to get Eric {winkle} Brown a knighthood

jimmac

Hi All,

I set up this petition after seeing another bunch of worthless "celebrity" types getting recognition far beyond their abilities. Captain Eric {Winkle} Brown has been overlooked yet again for some football manager or celebrity. So if you could sign and share it we may get somewhere before he gets any older.

For the guys who haven't heard of him he was a test pilot during the war and afterwards, he is recognised as having flown the greatest number of different types of aircraft ever. Without him and his fleet air arm colleagues the Americans would have never gotten their corsairs onto a carrier, they showed them how to do it.

https://www.change.org/p/hm-government-and-hrh-the-queen-prime-misiter-knight-captain-eric-winkle-brown?recruiter=20273810&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Advert

I have read some of his books and it is clear that Captain Brown is a captain in more senses than just that of a Naval Officer. Also I met him briefly many years ago at RNAS Brawdy when as a young Leading Air Mechanic I strapped him into a Hawker Hunter of 738 Sqdn.

Good luck with the capaign.

Cheers John Dennier (Signatory to the petition)

Definitely, I'm signing this. Not that I agree he hasn't been recognised though, CBE, DSC, AFC, MA, Hon FRAeS, RN all mean quite a lot of recognition, but when you look at some of the knighthoods handed out purely for being there in the case of some civil servants, it makes you weep. This guy should be promoted as a great national hero, which he truly is.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 19/01/2016 08:06:46:

Good point John F. Probably one of us needs to do this as a model application for others to copy? That's perhaps the best way to maximise the support. Has anyone done it already?

I would have thought that the privilege of filling out the honour nomination application form would be with the OP, jimmac, or he might think we are stepping on his toes.

Edited By John F on 19/01/2016 08:33:23

Signed..........

While we're about it another name that AFAIA has been overlooked is Carolyn Grace. If ever a woman has triumphed over personal tragedy and with great fortitude carried on after what would have crushed lesser characters, then she deserves high recognition.

Posted by John F on 19/01/2016 08:32:28:
Posted by Colin Leighfield on 19/01/2016 08:06:46:

Good point John F. Probably one of us needs to do this as a model application for others to copy? That's perhaps the best way to maximise the support. Has anyone done it already?

I would have thought that the privilege of filling out the honour nomination application form would be with the OP, jimmac, or he might think we are stepping on his toes.

Edited By John F on 19/01/2016 08:33:23

Not at all John F, I will look at the link. I had no idea we mortals could do such a thing. I still think that someone in government needs a good kick up the rear for the travesty of ignoring this man in place of some of the unworthy sods who got there before him.

We might deduce that the unworthy who get recognition are those who make donations to political parties!

However we should nominate someone who is worthy - just make sure you nominate the correct Eric Brown. At least two authors called Eric Brown........... here is a selection of books by the correct one. The book on the Miles M52 seems likely to be interesting.   There is also a great TV programme called the Worlds Greatest Pilot - worth looking out for.

Edited By kc on 19/01/2016 19:52:55

Hi John F,

I have looked at the link on nominating someone for a national honour. Unfortunately it is set up for someone who is very close to the nominee, they require extensive personal details and the timescales are not in our favour as it can take 12-18 months for a nomination to be processed. They also say that if you have not heard anything by 2 years you should consider it to have been unsuccessful.

So if we can get everyone we know to sign and promote it on to their friends we may achieve something, i would be happy to know that we tried.

Yes, I have read it. The celebrity types get their honours because they use the system.

A thousand people signing a petition will not do what the proper channels are set up to do and even if you did get a thousand, then what? Ten thousand signatories?

You can submit a form highlighting his exploits from all the press cuttings and internet data that you can find and possibly from the manufacturing companies whose aircraft he flew. Present a good case and it could, possibly, be accepted.

There is a stipulation; an application should be made for someone who is still actively involved in what you are nominating them for, so it will possibly be rejected on those grounds.

You state on your petition that his achievements have been "completely overlooked for his massive contribution to aviation". The awards committee will see that Capt Eric Brown has already been awarded honours three times (MBE, OBE and then the King's Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air) directly as a result of his flying achievements, then a CBE later on as Naval Aide de Camp to Queen Elizabeth II. So they will see that he has been rewarded and his achievements recognised.

It doesn't matter how many folk sign the petition you'll still be expected, by the honours committee, to create a case for the award, so you'll be back to square one.

Just trying to point you in the right direction.

Edited By John F on 19/01/2016 21:01:43

Thanks John F ,

I don't usually get bothered about these things, I saw some program on one of the TV channels which included Captain Brown and then on the news it was talking about some person who was famous for nothing more than being on TV that it wrankled me. He may have been given some honours but a seat in the house of lords would be more fitting.