If my local store (Cambridge) was anything to go by, Hobbystores suffered from terrible stock levels unless you were into RC cars and the prices weren't very competitive. As a result a lot of local flyers simply went to other shops like Inwood that could actually sell them what they wanted.

Edited By Simon B on 24/01/2016 13:21:12

Advert

Internet certainly is the way of the future, but it will never totally replace high street shops.

Advanced modellers are fine with internet only and buying wholesale. Less advanced and beginners need "hands on help" to avert disaster or having a big disappointment,

Funnily enough I have seen the same thing happen over the years in my other hobby cycling. However now the sport has suddenly picked up there are loads of high street shops opening. Cycle shops now make most of there money servicing bikes, rather than selling them! A lot of people buy bikes on the internet or from large multiple stores , but then go to the smaller local shop for better servicing. There has to be room for a business with a large internet presence and a small high street one with instruction and servicing etc. They just need a way of monetising the value added from the store.

Visiting Hobbystores over the years I saw loads of very useful advice handed out to customers who otherwise would have probably got things very wrong and not enjoyed modelling and given up. The problem is trying to make money out of high street retail is hard. Maybe some sort of model where the high street store(or back street warehouse shop) is a service centre for the mail order business might work?

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 24/01/2016 17:00:34

Edited By Timothy Harris 1 on 24/01/2016 17:03:12

It's a shame about the store closures. My nearest at Enfield was convenient for fuel and miscellaneous items and quite well stocked. Vic the manager and his staff would order things in that I needed- like paint etc. Now everything will have to be bought over the internet with the relevant postage for each item.. not practical with metre long things.

I pretty much buy all my modelling stuff online and only venture to the LBS for a browse if im nearby or its an emergency. Always more expensive and then there's the fuel cost in travelling and use of my limited free time. Postage costs in comparison are very reasonable. Even worse if the visit results in a product not being available. Too many times Ive had the phrase " we can order it ". Argghh!

Not surprised that someone's pulled the plug on the shops which must have been loosing money. Shame on the job losses though. Just one of many retailers that struggled to cope with the interweb and a more educated price aware customer.

I am not convinced that all LMS are the best source of reliable information for those wishing to start in our hobby. Not all model shop personnel have an extensive knowledge with respect to all aspects of the hobby, nor are they necessarily unbiased.

Probably one of the best sources of general information is the Local Model Club. The real limitation is the wide range of opinions, which a newcomer may find daunting. Although the range of opinions probably reflects that there is generally no one answer or solution. The really big plus, is that there is no vested interest in selling, although the phenomena of what i bought is best, could well be encountered.

From this perspective I do not see the demise of the LMS as a real loss to newcomers.

I am less convinced than ever that the general MS will be greatly missed. However those shops with a unique aspect or contribution to the modeller, are more probably going to survive. The unique nature could be the sale of building materials from a comprehensive stock, such as the Blackburn Model shop, or perhaps a massive stock such as Webbies. The behind the counter staff may be extremely knowledgeable, although the real draw is that unique aspect of the business.

Edited By Erfolg on 25/01/2016 22:38:29

Edited By Erfolg on 25/01/2016 22:39:40

According to their website announcement they will continue to trade online, so you shouldn't have any issue. Did you receive an order confirmation by email, and has your card been charged?

If yes, contact them by email on whatever address is on the confirmation; if they don't respond within a reasonable period, go to your card issuer for a refund. If no then I guess your order got lost in the changeover and you will have to resubmit it or go to another supplier.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...