Fly in France, training in the Loire

Gettingbetteratit

Advert

The owner could be ill, away, internet down or any of a hundred other reasons.

If you don't get any joy, try the R/C Hotel in Corfu. I went a couple of times soon after it opened and had a great time. Since then Spiros has opened his own hotel and flying site (previously it was a leased hotel and the local club strip).

There are not many places where you meet a wild tortoise when retrieving a 'flyaway'*!

*My own model, not one of theirs, I should add!

Posted by Gettingbetteratit on 05/02/2016 09:56:27:

...I am a faltering learner and need better weather to get the practice in, hence my interest in training in the Loire.

Rings a bell with me! I haven't been able to get together for months with a fellow club-member who's teaching me, and it's frustrating. I'm not retired, have time consuming family issues, an erratic schedule, and the weather in this country is just abysmal.

The latter is dealt with by spending more time in France where we have a house in Gard, currently 3+ months a year there in 3-4 sessions. There's actually a model flying club not far away but I'm inhibited by my inadequate French! Learning to fly might be tricky when there's any sort of language barrier...

It's very frustrating. I want very keenly to get flying and build more aircraft, but circumstances get in the way.

rgds Tony

Posted by Donald Fry on 05/02/2016 15:57:33:

Tony, don't assume there is not an ex pat in the club. But if you fetch up with a French flyer be aware he will be a mode 1 flyer. Still worth a look.

You're right Donald, I should investigate - I'malready hooked up with a couple of badminton clubs there, I just need to make the effort! Mine isn't a fashionable bit of France and there aren't many Brits around, but you never know. Mode 1? I wonder why that difference in practice exists?

rgds Tony