Vanishing Printed Publications

Capt Kremen

With the recent announcement of the demise of two printed newspapers (The Independant and I ) what future for printed model magazines?

I visit many of the larger branches of WH Smith around the south of England e.g. Brighton, Chichester, Southampton, Salisbury to name but a few.

Without exception, I usually have to hunt to find the RCM&E and the other model aircraft magazines. They are invariably nowadays tucked away on a lower shelf toward the back. (And yes my back aches trying to bend down low enough to reach them too!)

Yesterday I noticed a huge pile of the previous months RCM&E issue still on the shelf unsold with the latest edition alongside!

My flying clubs members, judging by demographics that appear on here from time to time, are of a mature if not old vintage age group! I often ask did you see that article in RCM&E or A.Another model magazine on 'xyz'? 'No mate never bother to buy them' comes the usual reply.

So what (long term) future for the printed model mag?

Advert

I buy magazines only rarely, since they're very expensive and more important, not often good value - in that any given issue will contain maybe 2-3 things that interest me and the rest is wasted. It's a key reason why I don't subscribe to RCME or any other title: over the year I'd get real value from 10-15% of the content at most. So I like to scan the modelling titles in the newsagent, and if there's something special - like that RCME hints & tips "special issue" last summer - I'll buy it. Not otherwise. It's disappointing, too, that some titles such as Quiet & Electric Flight are IME difficult to find since few retailers stock them regularly.

I'd add that in the past 30 years or so the only magazines I've subscribed to are US shooting & fishing titles, which tend (for me and my particular interests) to be far more interesting than UK titles, and at least as important, much more affordable! Even with international post I find any US magazine turns out significantly cheaper than a Brit ttle.

Hard copy is nice and on-screen reading is no substitute. But it's probably not sustainable long term.

rgds Tony

I have a Kindle and download lots of books for it. I really like the Kindle, its convienient and easy to use. But I still buy books as well. A novel I'll read once and that's it,....the Kindle is ideal. But Jonathan Dimbelby's new book on the Battle of the Atlantic, or Graham Simons book on the Mosquito,...something I read for pleasure and interest and may want to refer to in future, or even read again,...I buy the book.

I feel the same about mags. RCM&E is a great reference source, I read it for pleasure. I like the tactile feel of the glossy paper. So I can't see my self going digital on that.

BEB

I don't think the I has disappeared in paper form though its birth parent the Independent is about to.

We subscribe to the paper editions of the Guardian and we've taken it and the Observer for about 40 years. I would greatly miss my breakfast without it propped up as I eat my toast and drink my coffee. My wife and I bond over the crossword as we eat our evening meal (actually it's an exercise of her demonstrating how much cleverer she is than I am). I suppose it's inevitable but I'm hoping I'll be beyond caring when my Guardian is only available on line.

I subscribe to the digital edition of RCME but I find it difficult to read in its current format. My vdu is, like most, in landscape mode but the magazine (like all) is in portrait mode. So when I enlarge the image to be easy to read I can't view a whole page in one go despite having screen area to spare on each side, which I find more irritating than I thought I would. My vdu is roughly 500 x 300 mm so not very small. There is no way I would want to either to read RCME or a newspaper on a smartphone or tablet with screen so tiny as to make text even smaller except in an emergency.

Geoff

I also have 30 years worth of the Motor Cycle Sport tucked away up in the loft. Every copy from when it first appeared as a magazine rather than in newspaper format in about 1963 until I stopped taking it years later. I really should find a good home for them but I think they're more valuable than a digital record and certasinly more attractive in feel and appearance.

Geoff

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 14/02/2016 21:25:46:

I buy magazines only rarely, since they're very expensive and more important, not often good value - in that any given issue will contain maybe 2-3 things that interest me and the rest is wasted.

It's disappointing, too, that some titles such as Quiet & Electric Flight are IME difficult to find since few retailers stock them regularly.

Apologies for "hacking" your post about, but there's the nub of it right there. You don't buy very often at all, but find it "disappointing" that retailers don't stock the titles that you might be interested in - well why on earth would they when those titles are only bought "rarely" by the very people who want to be able to pick them up off the shelves ... ??

It's a self fulfilling prophecy and begs the question how many mags would actually still exist, if it wasn't for subscribers?

As you say, Tony, probably not sustainable long term

I'm with Tony. I dropped my subscription to RCM&E years ago for the same reason, switched to QEFI but when that dropped in quality I dropped it as well. Now I browse & decide whether or not to buy. The only model mag I buy now is RCM&E but only after a browse to see if it offers me VFM which is less than half of the issues.

If the content of the publications improved to make them reasonable VFM perhaps they would be bought regularly by people like Tony & me, in which event the retailers might increase their numbers on the shelves to a former level.

IMO the ball's in the magazines' court.

I had a digital subscription to QEF and did not like it, so did not renew the subscription. Much prefer the written magazine. I get RCM and E each month at the newsagent, although a couple of months after publication, as well as the main aussie mag. I read it all and remove the pages of real interest to me and file them. Having said that I read novels and short stories on Kindle, but prefer hard copies for magazines.

Digital is OK for reading large expanse of narrative but unsuitable for viewing pictures. Having to pinch in and out to see a picture drives me troppo. Hope the printed media will be around for a while yet. Magnifying glasses are still available, at least in this part of the world.

Posted by Tony Harrison 2 on 14/02/2016 21:25:46:

It's disappointing, too, that some titles such as Quiet & Electric Flight are IME difficult to find since few retailers stock them regularly

QEFI ceased publication about October time last year.

Model Flyer went a few months before that.

Not sure what IME is, but if you mean Aviation Modeller International, that went years ago.

There only seems to be 4 British mags left now.

Hopefully those will carry on strongly

Edited By Andy Ennis on 15/02/2016 04:37:13

I have subscribed to RCM&E for some years and will continue to do so. I like it because of its it's broad content which to me is what a magazine is all about. Covering everything from indoor and single channel to large multi petrol engined models. I am not active in either of these disciplines but one day I might and I like to see the models that other clever modellers build. I also like the reviews even though I have only bought two or three reviewed models over the years. They are essential for the commercial side of the hobby and without that there would be no hobby. I keep the plans, build articles and anything I might want to refer to. I consider my subscription to be a small part of my modelling budget. If you don't support the mag it with wither and die, the hobby will be the poorer for that. The internet is not a substitute for a magazine.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/02/2016 04:49:21

I stopped buying newspapers years ago as even the so called quality papers contents started to decline. I no longer subscribe to any magazines and prefer to see what is on offer. I must admit that invariably I buy the RCM&E but saying that I would not have bought the Autumn Special as it was far from special. I must be one of the lucky ones as I have never had any issues obtaining a copy of RCM&E or RC Model World both are on the shelves of my local supermarket (Tesco) as well as Smiths. If the magazines were eventually to only be available in a digital format I would not want to read them, for one thing it would herald the demise of the Free Plan.

An interesting selection of comments and perspectives.

One thing I notice.

Earlier years copies of any model magazine, (pre-internet of course!), featured lots of detailed informative adverts.

e.g. lists of kits, engines, balsa sizes, misc. accessories and so on

Advertising finances and enables most publications, nowadays it seems fewer appear.

Is this due their cost? their effectivenes?

Whatever the reason, less adverts = less revenue to the publisher and, as per newspapers, the publication ultimately ceases due being uneconomic.

I noticed that the latest issue of 'Flying Scale Models' is now on 'newsprint' quality paper too so that must be an indication that economies have had to be made.