Completed Ballerina's Gallery

Thanks Lucas & Chris.

Perhaps I should have mentioned that it's covered with HK film. Extremely good value and so easy to apply that it even makes my very modest covering skills quite acceptable.

It's electrically powered with a 4S 4AH LiPo supplying a Turnigy 740 rpm/volt 4240 motor via a HK Plush 60 amp esc. 600 to 650 watts on a 13x6.5 or 400 to 450 watts on a 12x6. Weight 2.3 kg (just over 5lbs).

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late in the day (year?) but here is my Depron 3/4 size Ballerina - "Petiterina"

Complete 4

Although the same outline as the original its construction is rather different being entirely Depron apart from the 1 mm balsa wing spar flanges, the 'particle board' motor bulkhead, and sheet acetate external patches to hold the undercarriage wires. Even the wheels are Depron!

At 40" span it is small enough to be a 'one piece' plane.

Complete 3

A Lemon DSMX 'gyro' rx sits in the cockpit.

It only has 120 W available from the Eemax 2822 turning a 9x4.7 SF with a 1500mAh 3s but then it only weighs 12.8 oz (363 g).. wink 2

Looks very racey Geoff. Like John Stones I've been gradually moving the CoG rearwards to improve it's agility and now I'm at the stage where I need to remove the added experimental tail weight and move the RX battery backwards.

Simon, 40" is a bit big for indoor but I'll bet it flies nice enough for a big sports hall?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The slowest builder of the MB2016 has at last finished his Ballerina:

img_3413 (small).jpg

img_3416 (small).jpg

Still have to find a pilot. The plane is powered by a 3542-800kv motor, 45A ESC and 2200mAh 4S battery driving an APC-E 11x7 propeller. All up weight now 1650gr. Max power 32A (just under 500W).

I hope for freezing weather, with sun, no wind and a big frozen lake as a runway. It might take some weeks though.

MB2017 is soon starting, so if the weather does not co-operate it is no crisis either...

Thanks everybody for good advice and sharing their builds with me!

Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 18/11/2016 20:41:24

• 3 weeks later...
Posted by Trevor Crook on 04/12/2016 19:46:07:

Looks good Lucas. Performance must be great - mine is still very good with a 400W 3s setup.

You had a similar idea to mine for the tail emblem. Must admit I felt a bit guilty searching Google for ballerina silhouettes!

I don't think you need to feel guilty about the ballerina silhouette. I did it too, but I chose a different one but probably from the same source. I did it more decorating after the pictures here were taken.

Mine flies great on 4S but still only 450 watts and less than 100 watts/lb. At least you managed to fit your battery further back than me. Mine is stuffed right underneath the motor despite making a built up tail. Perhaps a solid sheet one is lighter.

Both these new ones look stunning. Peter certainly designed a winner with this one.

Geoff

Posted by Geoff Sleath on 04/12/2016 21:34:05:
Posted by Trevor Crook on 04/12/2016 19:46:07:

Looks good Lucas. Performance must be great - mine is still very good with a 400W 3s setup.

You had a similar idea to mine for the tail emblem. Must admit I felt a bit guilty searching Google for ballerina silhouettes!

I don't think you need to feel guilty about the ballerina silhouette. I did it too, but I chose a different one but probably from the same source. I did it more decorating after the pictures here were taken.

Me too!

Mine flies great on 4S but still only 450 watts and less than 100 watts/lb. At least you managed to fit your battery further back than me. Mine is stuffed right underneath the motor despite making a built up tail. Perhaps a solid sheet one is lighter.

My battery is over the leading edge. about 5 cm back from the firewall. Now she just need a bit down elevator inverted, so it could be that you are flying with a more forward CG compared to me. I check with rolling in a 45 degree upline. If the model does not fall anymore when inverted (and having the elevator in neutral) you have reached the limit. Don't be afraid to experiment - a CG a little further back than that point will not make the model unflyable.

Lucas

I originally balanced mine to the plan cg with a 3000 3s. It needed a little bit of lead. I since aquired some 4000 3s packs with a higher C rating, which give better performance and duration. Surprisingly the trim didn't change noticably. I could probably remove the lead but it's well glued and the model flies well so I'll leave it be.

• 5 weeks later...

About 50 flight done with my Ballerina now. I would like to have much suspension (vertical) in the undercarriage, since it is very difficult not to bounce when landing on ice. I ordered "very soft" wheels from HK, but when they came they were the same that already are fitted

The legs are nearly vertical, and while the construction has a nice springy action in the for-aft direction due to the torsion wire, it is stiff as concrete in the up/down direction.

Any ideas on how to improve this?

Lucas

Well you could try shock absorber struts but unless they have damping they still tend to bounce.

I do find that mine will do real greaser landings when I get it right on grass.

In the past I have used an undercarriage with R/C buggy shock absorbers and they work beautifully. I have had a model helmd on the ground and going like stink on an old war time concrete runway without the trace of a bounce, just the wheels hammering up and down. But that does require a a complete redesign of the undercarriage

Anyway, glad to hear that you racking up the fying hours with Ballerina.