Precedent Fun Fly

I recently rescued a nearly 20 year old Precedent Fun Fly model that a relative was about to throw out. The model is still boxed as it was when bought i.e. just a box of balsa wood and bits & pieces. Although the 54 inch foam wings are part built.

Anyway I have decided to build this aeroplane and almost immediately found I'm in need of some advice from you experienced modellers. The instructions state that die cut braces dictate the wing dihedral angle and for reference it's 16mm under each wing tip.

When I fit the wings to the die cut braces the wings are almost horizontal with very little angle and certainly not 16mm clearance at each wing tip.

Can anyone help? Should the wing tips have a 16mm clearance or should I fit them according to the die cut braces and have almost horizontal wings with no upward angle?

Appreciate any advice.

Advert

+1 for the required dihedral

As John says, just sand the wing panel roots to achieve that. They key is to do it gently, checking and rechecking as you go. Not the end of the world if you overdo it - you can always infil with balsa scraps - but far better to get it right

Don't assume that by lining up the wing cores in the middle you will have a straight wing Howard, dry assemble it and check the wing will be straight, hold it at eye level and view the wing tips, that's where it needs to be level if it doesn't match in the middle it matters little. Not uncommon for this to be the case.

John

Was that the one offering a choice of high wing with dihedral, 3 channel, or shoulder wing, flat, with ailerons? If memory serves, you could use it as a first trainer, then change the wing for something a bit more lively

Edited By jonryan on 08/03/2016 19:11:59

Edited By jonryan on 08/03/2016 19:12:29

Hello Howard, your post prompted me to have a look at my Fun Fly first maidened in 1995. I got my wings out and had a look at the dihedral in them they look almost flat but on measuring them they do have about 16mm under each tip.

I stopped flying in 95 when i moved house and got married, back in 2013 i started getting back into flying again and have recently started to clean down and resurrect my models from back in the 90's, The Precedent Fun Fly being one of them. It can be seen in my album of my models.

Hope this helps

Colin

Edited By funflyerColin on 08/03/2016 21:04:14

Thanks John, your post made me stop just when I had opted to go for straight wings and was about to glue the wings together. Saved me some grief!

Then your post Colin prompted me to start again. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before but I've cracked it. Wings will now go together with 16mm clearance at either tip.

So glad I found this site which has helpful people like you guys.

Many thanks.

Thanks Colin. This is all new to me although I have relatives who fly the electric powered ready built models.

I have considered converting the 'Fun Fly' so as to power it with an electric motor. Do you think this is feasible and if so would you know what size the equivalent electric motor might be to say your Enya s40

Howard

Good flying planes indeed, but all can be traced back to the original "flying machine" not well known over here, but big in the US, then very quickly after the Hots series took hold out there, and we started to see them over here, Precedent and latterly SLEC funflys a much a kin to the originals.....

I have just finished my original hots (had one when I was a kid and they were brilliant) and waiting for good weather to maiden.

Howard. All the advice given so far is good advice but they all assume the model is for a fairly experienced pilot. It is not a trainer but really only suitable as a 2nd or 3rd model after becoming proficient with a trainer. So bear that in mind if you have not flown yet.