Switching power supply

Erfolg

Advert

This is the type of power supply you need. They're quite cheap, or were when I bought mine, but are capable of supplying several chargers form the 12volt 47 amp output. They need a few links to be made but it's all laid out by PDR who knows what he's talking about.

Geoff

Erf, they usually have several outputs, 12V @ 0.5A is no use. I've converted a few & IIRC the one with the lowest useable output is 12V 8A.

Last year I bought this one , the type that Geoff linked to from Ebay for £20 inc P&P. A quick search on Ebay turned this one up from a different seller. If you do decide on one from the Bay check out the P&P before bidding.

Patmac , I came across it whilst clearing out my modelling room. I will put it out with the rest of the junk.

I do have a stabilised power supply that I use with my charger, i just thought maybe another PS could be useful, in this case it is a NO!

Or somewhere inbetween a computer PSU and the Proliant server PSU is an Xbox PSU. Available off the bay for about a tenner, the older ones are apparently best as they have a higher current output. Mine is rated at 16.5A at 12v (198W) and happily drives my Quattro B6 charger, though I don't charge anything bigger than 2600mAh LiPos (but it will do 4 at a time)

There's a little bit of "surgery" required to chop off the old plug (the one that would have plugged into an xbox, not the mains plug!) but this is documented on various sites on the web. F'rinstance here (you might want to turn the volume down off first!) but essentially just connect all the black wires together for 0v, all the yellows together for +12v. Either put a switch between the blue and red, or (as I did) just solder them together for permanently 'on'.

Posted by AJ on 11/03/2016 06:31:40:

A 0.5A supply will charge your lipos it will just do it very slowly, so perhaps not the best way. Instead connect it to a spare BEC and use it to power a servo tester.

AJ

No need for the BEC AJ. Erflog said it had a 5v output.

I have a converted PC PSU and use the 5v output for bench testing radio setups, servo testers and the like.

Might be worth keeping for that purpose. Stick a servo style connector on it

I keep my eyes open at work for discarded wall wart PSU. many of those are 5v at a few amps. Sometimes even hit the jackpot and find a 12v one for charging small foamy batteries.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/03/2016 16:08:06:

This is the type of power supply you need. They're quite cheap, or were when I bought mine, but are capable of supplying several chargers form the 12volt 47 amp output. They need a few links to be made but it's all laid out by PDR who knows what he's talking about.

Geoff

My Proliant server PSU arrived this morning but Geoff's Link above has ceased working!

Anyone got details of the pins to short please?

Shep

Edited By Eagle 899 on 19/03/2016 13:14:20

Posted by Eagle 899 on 19/03/2016 13:13:58:
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/03/2016 16:08:06:

Geoff

My Proliant server PSU arrived this morning but Geoff's Link above has ceased working!

Anyone got details of the pins to short please?

This should help I think...