'Automatic' Windows 10 Upgrade ?

Eagle 899

Last night I went to check my email etc., and my Desktop PC was in the middle of a Windows 10 installation. I was sure I hadn't instigated it and I watched as it slowly completed the upgrade.

The PC is running fine with W10, so far, but I'm still bemused as to how it happened.

This morning a friend of mine phoned me in a panic as his laptop was doing the same! So it wasn't me then, I thought.
Anyone else had this happen or am I losing the plot frown Shep

Advert

I would think these are the regular Win 10 updates, rather than upgrades. I don't think there's any way to stop them them AFAIK but you can schedule when they are done. When I shut down last night I got the 'Update and shutdown' message, which was the only way I know an update has downloaded. It completed the update when I booted-up this morning.

I'd prefer the former method of being told they're on their way and let me decide what I want, though....

Pete

Pete, I'm running win 8.1 and it was a full upgrade to Win 10. I cancelled it. It was much more than a simple upgrade to an existing OS.

I use my PC for app development running database, web & application servers, I can't afford to have a new operating system, that's not been tested on a VM first. Naughty.

If you just use your PC for email & web browsing then Win 10 is a great free upgrade.

Andy

Thanks Andy; I'm not ready for the men in white coats yet then laugh I must admit I just deleted the regular blue upgrade notes that kept popping up on my screen as I got fed up reading them.

Definitely an upgrade as I was on Windows 7 until last night. W10 does appear faster though.

Shep

Edited By Eagle 899 on 10/03/2016 16:54:25

I've been cancelling all the offers to upgrade to Windows 10 as I'm happy with 8.1. I did a search to go to control panel yesterday and the computer asked if I wanted control panel for 8 or 10, so my computer has downloaded the files but not yet activated them.

John

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 10/03/2016 20:36:31:

Rather than buy a laptop of uncertain age with Windows 8 and a free Windows 10 upgrade,

I bought a new laptop in November pre loaded with Windows 10.

In January it downloaded Windows 10. Took a couple of Hours so it wasn't just an upgrade.

So now I don't know if I have one Windows 10 or two.

you would have been fine with the older laptop, to be fair as Win 10 is a full install, not an upgrade.

You have one operating system, just updated, not two versions of Win 10

My Windows 7 system keeps asking me if I want to upgrade to Win 10. Has 10 got to the stage where it's worthwhile upgrading a perfectly good Win 7 system?

( I don't want to upgrade Win7 which never gives any trouble if there is still any problem with 10 But the free offer will end in a few months )

There are lots of people who would say it was never worthwhile to change Win 7 to Win 8 so I cannot fathom why John should say " It always has been worthwhile upgrading from 7 "

Surely it was never worthwhile ugrading Win 7 to Win 8 or have I misunderstood John's message?

Edited By kc on 11/03/2016 13:38:44

I think you misunderstood me; I was replying to your question whether going from 7 to 10 was worthwhile.

Win 8 was as crazy and useless as a bag of frogs.

The improvements that Win 10 has over 7 is very good indeed, hence why I said it has always been worthwhile upgrading from Win 7 to 10.

Some info to help you make up your mind

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/windows-10-vs-windows-7

Edited By John F on 11/03/2016 14:48:32

Posted by Dave Bran on 11/03/2016 14:47:05:

I am running two pc's side by side, one on 7, the other on 10. While 10 seems quite OK, there is absolutely nothing emerged so far as to why I should be at all keen to allow the 7 to 10 "upgrade" to take place.

So was I, I let my laptop upgrade from 8.1 to 10 a few months ago and it's been fine.

My desktop upgraded from 7 to 10, without my intentional input, two days ago. It's also fine and faster than it was.

Time will tell; I have a few weeks to decide in or out! I've already decided on the other in or out no

Shep

I took "always" literally and therefore misunderstood John's comment! Thanks for clarifying.

As for Dave's comment, I feel the same= if it ain't broke don't fix it- however it comes down to economics. Eventually Murcosoft will deliberately orphan 7 and force us to a later system. It seems cheaper in the long term to upgrade whilst it's free.

As it is we will have to pay to upgrade my wife's Vista m/c - unless someone knows a cheap way to upgrade that to 7 and then 10.....

KC, if you're looking at a computer running Vista, the likelihood is that it probably won't cope with Win 10 so you're probably looking at a new PC anyway. That's if you want to upgrade her pooter.

There is absolutely no reason why the Vista computer cannot keep running but, and this is a biggy to consider, Google announced last year that its browser; Chrome, will not be updated for any Vista or XP users anymore.

As time goes by other firms, software and browser providers, will follow suit which will probably mean that the Vista and XP machines will become more vulnerable as time goes by.

Might be a good time to upgrade your others half's computer.

Edited By John F on 11/03/2016 15:33:43

As I recall this particular Vista computer had a perfectly adequate spec for Win 7 and therefore 10 as well. It's the scandalous situation of having to scrap perfectly working computers because the software companies charge ludicrous prices for operating systems when bought alone, hence it's just as cheap to buy a complete new computer. And the madness that follows is shipping containers of dumped computers to Africa etc. So that's what I want to avoid.

I was on a Vista PC for a long time and when I bought the new PC last year it came with 8.1. I didn't enjoy it but made it liveable with a Vista-lookalike front page. Upgrading to Win 10 couldn't come fast enough and I wouldn't revert to either of the earlier versions now. You just have to spend a little time setting your preferences to make sure Microsoft don't find out your inside leg measurement or what you had for dinner last night....smile

I'm still running Vista on a laptop and it's looking decidedly dated and slow now....

Pete

I'm in the same position as KC, wifie's PC is on Vista which I'd like to be able to upgrade to Win10.

Any experts care to advise if this spec is OK for Win10 - Intel Core2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.8GB & 2.79GB ; RAM 4GB ; two x 450GB hard drives one has 367GB t'other 2.96GB space left.

I was also thinking, like KC, of possibly picking up a cheap genuine Win7 before the free Win10 period runs out, though I'm not sure that this will be realistic.

Actually Pat one can buy a refurbished base unit WITH Win 7 for 65 pounds delivered with a similar spec here

So it would seem your spec is OK.   ( it exceeds my unit which is only Dual core 6400    and 2.13 hz- mine is fine with Win 7  )

Whether it is better to take a chance on cheap software and risk it not being complete with a genuine Microsoft number or to buy a base unit complete with a working Win 7 is debateable! I bought a base unit complete with Win7 from Stone/Encore nearly 2 years ago. Highly satisfactory, came next day and worked ever since. If you buy from them just ensure the actual unit you buy has a DVD rewriter ( not all do some are CD) and consider whether to upgrade the hard disc or RAM at very low extra cost. Or transfer your old hard disc as a second disc. Only snag is you then have your old base unit to scrap!

Stone/ Encore seem to be computer builders and suppliers to NHS etc and as Microsoft OEM suppliers they then can upgrade the old units and sell them on with Win7 included. Mine came with a genuine Microsoft Win 7sticker as well as the old XP sticker.. Why the NHS etc don't just upgrade their old units I don't know but its easy spending other peoples money!

Edited By kc on 11/03/2016 19:51:03

Look's interesting, KC. It's the same CPU & RAM size as our Vista PC which actually has 2 optical drives (I think one is a DVD rewriter & the other's DVD player+CD writer). Not sure whether it would be worth getting Win Home Prem or Pro. I'll have to check what the difference,if any, in Win10 upgrade would be.

With one of these I could upgrade Win7 to 10 then dump Vista on the other PC & replace it with Linux for me to play around with.

Pity they didn't just sell the Win7 OS for £15. teeth 2