Gere Sport

AndyD

71avalon07.jpgNow my ballerinas up and flying a new project is needed,seeing Peter Millers arolab lo-camp got got me really intrested with a radial engine upfront,but now ive gone all electric im missing a bi-plane so a search started,big,simple to build open radial.sport scale(not up to the the John Ranson/Danny Fenton build quality)so the Gere sport with rotec radial seems to fit the bill,built and owned by Richard Shaw ive started drawing up my plans,as its going to be third scale the radial is going to be the challenge,useing Peters article on making dummy radials ive started the engine first as if it dont work out it will probally be abandoned,as im new to build threads im useing it to motivate myself as it worked well with the ballerina.14-1geresport.jpg

Advert

001.jpg002.jpg004.jpg006.jpg008.jpg009.jpgafter 4 or 5 hrs ive got lots of discs,lots of discs, a cheap hole cutter was used/more like a medeival thing of torture,luckly hands and fingers were kept clear,lots of concentration as i think it would hurt some if digits got in the way,health and safety spring to mind.010.jpg

Hi cymaz i did think about bigger holes but if its anything like the bud nosen 70s kit it will be tail heavy,but then again his was 96 1/4 inch span using a geared .60 10cc engine,people are now putting 50cc petrol engines in them aspecially zenoah 60 to try and ballance them,time will tell.

thx Peter not sure how to do it but here goes.

thx Peter great drawings not sure i will do them justice,just been weighing all the parts,pretty heavy about 2 Ib,but then again its third scale and the motor is bolted inside it then the whole lot bolts to the fuz like a normal_ist engine, so if needed a normal ic engine can be bolted to the plane ,well thats the idea.

030.jpg031.jpg034.jpg035.jpgsort of cymaz,i can see it all in my head but putting it into practice and on papers another matter.

abit more done,given the bits a couple coats of emulsion,seals the grain and little marks quite nicely,also house freindly unless theres decorating to be done then it might remind you or the other half and stop the building process.037.jpg

039.jpg040.jpgnow my version,it will be ok at 100 ft up in the clouds,done a bit of spraying,reasonably happy so far,the weights still on my mind at the mo but the batterys will be back further han normal due to the engine position so it might be in my favour,(still trying to covince myself).041.jpg

043.jpg002.jpg003.jpgas things go im happy so far with the radial and its only sport scale anyway so i think i will finish drawing up the plans for the plane now,as its 76 inch span im in two minds weather or not to make the wings two piece or not.006.jpg

mine is cooking foil but tescos own(other makes available)dont know how you would get on covering a turkey as it tears like tissue paper ,to buy list foil,tubeing for exhausts and im trying to find a cheap and light sollution to making nuts for around cylinder bases etc,could cut some balsa ones,50 x 3mm nuts,it would pass the time but not very enjoyable.going a bit far i surpose as i wouldnt even notice them again once they on.plug leads as well.and front cone and i thought i was nearly finished.

001.jpga bit lost on what to do tonight as my ballerina repairs only took half hour,so i had ago at the rocker top covers,made from balsa i traced the logo onto the covers then wrote over the top useing pva glue,looked ok but maybe needed thicker glue,i then decided to go for the mk2 engine with black covers but when sprayed the logo didnt show up atall so out with the paint and done the logo white,reasonably happy with the results as long as you dont get to close.002.jpg