New Saito FA-40 to replace 1975 OS 40 FSR?

Grant Webb

Hi guys.

I'm considering "re-building" a Brian Peckham design Chippertoo. I first built this model back in the late '80s and powered it with an OS 40 FSR, with which it flew fairly spritely. Unfortunately I lost both the engine and the model in a massive crash from height following radio failure.

Anyway, my question is, would my new Saito FA-40 be a suitable replacement for the older technology OS engine?

Comments appreciated.

chippertoo002.jpg

chippertoo003.jpg

chippertoo004.jpg

Edited By Grant Webb on 11/04/2016 10:56:47

Advert

strictly speaking mate, the answer is no...BUT...it depends on how big/heavy the old one was and the new one will intend to be. If the old one was a tad overpowered with the FSR, and if you build a lighter weight version now using modern equipment, it would probably fly it, swinging a bigger prop and possibly more scale....but iMO it would need to be a lot lighter to cater for a 40 FS compared to the superb FSR motors.

Just my thoughts.

Thank you for your advice, guys.

I had wondered if it might be a little under powered. I have spotted a couple of second hand FA-50's on the old E/B, but am more inclined to go with the '56.

I already have an OS 70 Surpass which I felt might be a little big, so the '56 would be a nice intermediate step. Will have to start hiding the good lady's cigarette change!

Thanks again.

Posted by extra slim on 11/04/2016 14:41:40:

just noticed a build thread of one of these by silver wolf on here..he is pondering a laser 70 or 80, so Percy's suggestion of a saito 62 for me is bang on

Hi, Slim. I have seen that posting before. The model there is a scale Chipmunk. The Chippertoo, although styled on the Super Chipmunk, is in fact a sport design - not scale. I just loved it's scale'ish appearance though.

Cheers,

Edited By Grant Webb on 11/04/2016 23:37:20

Posted by extra slim on 11/04/2016 14:41:40:

just noticed a build thread of one of these by silver wolf on here..he is pondering a laser 70 or 80, so Percy's suggestion of a saito 62 for me is bang on

Oo I would'nt go for a 70 or 80, better put a 90 or even better a 120 for good measure.

Hi Grant

Just wanted to say I love the pics of your old Chippertoo, it was a classic design and a classic engine and you did a great job.

The OS 40 FSR was a decent engine of its time at around 1.2 HP and was frequently used with a 10" x 6" prop.

I think I would echo the consensus above of a Saito 62 or a Laser 70 four stroke. Both will turn a bigger prop at a lower rpm, but the power delivery will (in my opinion) suit the style of the model more than the 2 stroke did.

One of my other considerations would be to try and hide the four strokes cylinder in the cowl, so that would guide my choice too.

I hope you do go ahead with the model!

Not sure that's right Percy...I looked earlier and you can get a Saito 62 from Kings Lynn models for less than 150 of the Queen's pounds, but the Laser is around £210.

I think that provided I could enclose the head in the cowl, I'd choose the Laser over the Saito though.

Some reasons:

The Laser has it's timing gear tucked away behind the cylinder, so it's protected in a crash (not that I crash very much, but you never know).

The Laser is around 150g heavier than both the OS40FSR and the Saito 62, making it less likely to need nose weight to balance the model.

The Laser doesn't need or have provision for silencer pressure, so the plumbings easier.

I think I would cut a decent sized exit in the lower part of the cowl for hot air to exit and I reckon I could get a finger to the Lasers carb to choke it for easy starting (I don't own or use an electric starter) and this means one less hole in the cowl for the choke lever and I probably could arrange for the needle to exit the cowl in the same place as the hot air did.

I had (in fact I still have) an OS45 FSR, it was without a shadow of doubt the best glow motor I ever owned. I would think that to equal your 40 you should go for a 60 class four-stroke. If you have two much power you can always throttle back, if you have insufficient power on take off you can always build another plane 😜.

Shaunie.

Lots to ponder .... thank you all.

Will-O .. thank you for your well thought out advice - however I tend to be a flyer at the other end of the spectrum, erring more towards flight realism than brute force and speed. The aeros I do I prefer to fly them, not drag through them.

Thank you for your comments Alan G. - I was aware of the h/p difference between the Fa-40 and the 40 FSR. The Saito is rated at a mere .65h/p at 10,000rpm while the 40FSR's 1.2h/p is attained at 16,000rpm. But I also understand that h/p is only part of the story, with 4stroke engines being torquier and capable of swinging larger props - hence my confusion.

Cheers all...

Grant, yes you are correct that 4 strokes are torquier, but a Saito 40 won't end up giving the same thrust as an OS 40 FSR and that's the key at the end of the day.

Percy, I agree with you up to a point: manufacturers quoted HP figures can be misleading as it is often not clear what parameters were applied during the HP test (i.e. fuel used, prop fitted, open exhaust or silencer fitted) however some of the "ye olde" magazine engine tests such as those done by PGF Chinn or Mike Billington were done on a dynamometer and as such they produced a torque and HP set of curves. Couple that with their rpm measurements on certain prop sizes and makes, it then became possible to prop your engine to make best use of either the peak power (screaming rpm) or low down grunt (torque) depending on your requirements.