What makes you nervous?

Building your own model from kit or plan gives joy, but test flying shakes the bones more than a cold Hymalayan winter to many.

So, is landing, trimming, take off, or something else worrying you?

What I try and do ,to calm nerves, is get on with a test flight as soon as arrival at our field.

still shaking but grinning if all goes well.

Edited By bouncebounce crunch on 17/04/2016 08:37:57

Advert

A lot depends on mood with me , if I'm a bit weary then I tend to get a bit more nervy.

Maidens can be twitchy times , also at one of my clubs a few of the members flying skills (or lack of) make me nervous if they decide to fly whilst I'm up.

Oh dear, clearly there is something wrong with me because I don't get nervous or apprehensive. .Personally, I can't wait to get a model in the air and enjoy flying the thing.

I do this hobby for fun and relaxation. . Maybe I have been in the hobby for too long (since childhood) but I am never more relaxed or at peace with the world than when I am on a flying field with a Tx in my hands.

Surely I can't be the only one who is not afflicted with nerves... . ???

B.C.

Having spent months fitting out and building the Flair AT6/ Harvard kit, It took a while before I could bring myself to fly it. Like a plan build, every single surface is a built up piece, with no flat sheet flying surfaces. It had become too precious. It did and still does fly well, as these kits were light weight. It did give me the shakes pushing that throttle forward, the first time from the grass.

Well I think its relative. If you feel debillitating levels of nerves commonly when flying then you should definitely be looking to take up another hobby! But I doi think most of us have specific things that make us a feel a bit more shall we say "edgy" than we would do normally. For me its certain maidens - also the first flights of new models can make me a bit twitchy! wink 2

Seriously, most maidens - certainly of my own - I'm OK. I have done maidens for other people, that is definiotely a bit more nervy - let's just say you feel the reponsibility more! And I totally agree with Ken - the worse of all is doing a maiden for a complete beginner. OK usually its an easy model to fly, a. nice user friendly trainer, and of course you've been over ot with a fine tootth comb, but expectations are high and if anything does go awry they will definitely think it was 100% "you"!

BEB