2.4ghz

I have been using 35mhz and have been very reluctant to make the switch to 2.4mhz. Mainly cos I was scared I wouldn't understand the technology, and I have 20 plus models with 35mhz rx's in em. However I've bit the bullet and bought a TGY i10. Bind a recicever!!! WTF is bind a reciever, it should just work shouldn't it? I've re_read the instructions, done as they say, and I can honestly say, it's a different level! ! Ok, I've bought an entry level TX, But once you understand what's going on, Wow!!!! It's fabulous, so intuitive and so easy to follow. Iove it, love it love it!!!

Advert

I was of the same view John. I decided to select one or two models to initially convert to 2.4 and then anything new, but i've left about 50% of my existing models on 35mhz, partly because of cost but also I then have a spare TX and models should my 2.4 TX go wrong. Also, 35mhz is perfectly good and there is nothing at all wrong with it. That said the new generation of radios are superb and very easy to use and if you fly at shows you can only use 2.4.

Posted by Percy Verance on 12/06/2016 19:31:40:

I still do about 50% of my flying on 35mhz. Indeed, I have several new boxed 35mhz receivers........

I resisted changing to 2.4 until I new more about it . Then bought some 2.4 gear and used my 35 meg stuff as well .The 2.4 controlled models got used more often than the 35 gear as it was easier at the field . Then one day I took off using 35 meg without extending the Tx aerial surprise .So it appears that old habits can die very quickly !  I very quickly extended it and decide that the time had come to retire the 35 meg . Not looked back . Use FrSky  Tx modules  and rx,s with Futaba FF9 , a 6EXA and a Skysport 6 for my diesel stuff and never had a glitch ,its brilliant. As Percy says Installation is very important with 2.4 so don;t cut any corners .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 12/06/2016 21:01:12

Hi john, welcome to the 2.4GHz club.

Waaay back in the olden days a 35MHz receiver would respond to any transmitter signal it saw on it's frequency. With a 2.4GHz system each transmitter has a GUID (globally unique identity). This code is used to define the frequency hopping sequence for the transmitter. In the process of binding this is passed to the receiver so it also knows where to to hop to continue receiving the signal. In this way your bound receiver responds to your transmitter and no other despite the fact that loads of similar transmitters are right next to you. This is a dramatic over-simplification but is sufficient to understand the basic principles involved.

Shaunie.

Thanks guys, as it happens I put a speaker system in my old Ripmax mustang last week for testing purposes. I gave it a chuck and it went haywire, totally out of control. luckily it done a greaser the right way up and the only damage was the spinner. I presume the speaker system interfered with the 35mhz RX. Never had a glitch before. It was then that I decided I needed to go 2.4. !!! I've installed 2.4 into the mustang, and I'm just waiting for the weekend to give it a go. Let's hope it works cos the speaker system sounds great and I want to install them in some of my other models

John

John P, as I said "dramatic over-simplification"

The big difference as I see it is that with 35MHz interference causes glitching before complete control loss in most cases. With 2.4GHz the systems error checking tends to give near normal performance until total control loss, compounded by the delay before control is re-established.

A few years ago I flew a camera equipped plane on 35MHz. When I revised the footage I was amazed at how many twitches and glitches there were. None of these were noticed from my viewpoint on the ground.

Shaunie.

Just bought my first 2.4 Rx From Bang Good A microlite DSM2 6 channel . Gear Best also sell them but a bit dearer. I got it as I heard good reports on it and being on low pension it was cheap. Now looking for compatible Tx 6 Channel as cheaply as possible.Suggestions on a post card please laughsmiley

Posted by onetenor on 14/06/2016 01:13:44:

Just bought my first 2.4 Rx From Bang Good A microlite DSM2 6 channel . Gear Best also sell them but a bit dearer. I got it as I heard good reports on it and being on low pension it was cheap. Now looking for compatible Tx 6 Channel as cheaply as possible.Suggestions on a post card please laughsmiley

Your wish is my command. Postcard on its way

Posted by cymaz on 14/06/2016 05:23:59:
Posted by onetenor on 14/06/2016 01:13:44:

Your wish is my command. Postcard on its way

Just note that as this is DSM2 it is no longer compliant with the 2.4 regulations, so it won't be CE certified and if it gets held up by customs it may get held, probably not but worth noting. Lots of 2nd hand Spektrum DSM2 transmitters on BMFA though.