New to Model Flying

ChrisH

Hello,

Just to introduce myself, am an ex sea-going engineer who is now well retired and into model engineering. Am currently building a model sleeve valve glow plug engine, plus a balsa wood model Hurricane (when I am in France for something to do!) given as a Christmas pressie, a repro of a KeilKraft kit I think.

Bought the June edition of RCM&E just to see if this branch of models interests me and it does, so in the fullness of time I think I will try and see if there is a local (near Yeovil) model flying club.

Chris

Advert

You have my deepest sympathy. You are, I am afraid, on the slippery slope to an addiction.

Probably the best cure is to build an immaculate radio controlled model spitfire and to try to fly it, on your own, without training. The (inevitable) disappointment (and destruction) of this may just be enough to repel you, but it is not certain.

Were you to get yourself a proper trainer, to join a club, and to get instruction then I am afraid that your fate would be sealed.

It got me! I am no longer seeking a cure, only trying to balance the addiction and the bank account.

Plummet

Thanks to all for the very friendly welcome and good advice.

For those interested in the sleeve valve glow engine it's still early days with just a few bits made but I will respond in more detail with pictures when I am further down the line. The cylinder barrel is aluminium, in which there is a CI liner, and inside the liner a steel sleeve moves up and down driven by a couple of gears. The plans date from 1988 I think and there was a casting available then for the crankcase. However, I have a cube of aluminium in which hopefully there is a crankcase just waiting to be revealed to the world. I actually did make one already, but then tried to be a clever dick and tart it up to make it look pretty and promptly loused it up, so another cube has been bought!

I will put the sleeve valve engine on a new thread when I do go public, but don't hold your breath for the moment!

Chris

Ernie - we have a place in Central Brittany quite close to Callac. We are just under an hour from the ferry port of Roscoff, when I can persuade my wife to take that crossing, and generally an hour from the North coast and under two hours from the South coast.

Chris

onetenor - yes the piston runs inside the sleeve. The engine is a 4 stroke, so the sleeve moves at half engine (piston) speed. I can see I am going to have to post some more info about the engine on here later. I will try and photograph the GA drawing and post it later, but it is not very clear drawing I'm afraid so if I cannot get a clear pic I won't post it. Just watching the news following the Ref having been up a couple of hours so it will be later as I am now a bit tired!!