RC Flight Simulators

mfin

Anyone have a real educated preference for fixed wing flight simulators.

I have owned Reflex XTR (wish I'd never sold it) - I found when you put a bit of british breeze into the equation it felt pretty realistic all round, you can see the effect of rolling a plane on long grass, short grass or tarmac and it feels quite real to look at.

I've also owned Hangar 9 FS One (wish I'd never bought it), I found it very annoying, its collision detection was absolutely appalling, rubbish, c**p. The choice of aircraft was of course, small and limiited mostly to Hangar 9's models. I think its prety important in a flight sim that its good at detecting when you've hit the ground? If you like the idea of flying through objects like they aren't there though, this could be the sim for you, go buy it.

I've now thought of buying a sim again, and am stongly considering re-purchasing Reflex XTR.

I downloaded the demo of Realflight G3.5 and was instantly put off by the fact I was flying it with the keyboard and hitting the ground quite hard without damaging the plane. No way is that part of the sim gonna realistic judging by the demo. Also the G3.5 video 'advert' shows lots of 3D generated scenery, flying through fairgrounds at night with neon lights on the plane, they call this one of the 'most impressive features', for a ten year old maybe, but I think they meant 'least impressive features', I thought it was supposed to be a simulator not a game. Anyway, any realworld opinions on G3.5??

Then of course there's Aerofly Pro Deluxe which I have not seen. Any good???

I have Aerofly Pro Deluxe and a mate had XTR. XTR is definatly better for heli flying.

I think XTR and Aerofly are about neck and neck for fixed wing, but XTR appears to have more settings and options.

There are not many "home grown" Aerofly models, but quite a few XTR ones to download from various sites.

I think I'd buy XTR if I had to choose again.

Hi Wes, I agree that Aerofly Pro Deluxe is the best for fixed wing, but I've just started using Phoenix for helis, and I know I'm not alone in saying that I think it's better that Reflex for helis. If you want more models, then go to www.rc-sim.de where you'll find over 300 fixed wing models for Aerofly Pro Deluxe as well as plenty for other sims.

For an absolute novice any sim is a bonus, but cheap sims like FMS and ESKY (same thing) are only really good for orientation.

For a sim to be of the best value then get Reflex XTR, Aerofly Pro Delux or Great Planes 3. Most people will rate the sim they own, but I reckon all 3 of these will be good value for a novice.

Bit like choosing a pension, the worst thing is not to have one!

Reflex Xtr £98
Aerofly Pro Deluxe £120
Great Planes 3 £101

FMS responds to control inputs much too slowly to simulate real model flying in my opinion, but with a free price tag you need to try it for yourself

RealityCraft PlaneMaster with USB Tx £19.99
If all a flight sim does is to teach orientation why spend so much?

Does a novice really need to know how Katana flies, or just some basic 20 or so models?

No I don't work for Reality craft LOL, I just hate to see cheap products ignored by people assuming they are worthless. PlaneMaster is not the best, but £19.99 for the software and a USB Tx, that is pretty good value for money.

Hi

I have the RealFlight G3 which I have used to re-train after 30years abscence from R/C flying. It is very realistic if you set the wind and turbulance settings and use the TX included. I thought it was a bit pricy but if I had gone down the route of purchasing a trainer its about the same if not cheaper(crashing costs nothing on a sim).
I was able to fly my Ripmax Spitfire no problem after several hours on the sim.
The helicopters on the sim are fun although I often crash them :-)
I would encourage every R/C flyer with a PC to purchase a good quality sim well worth the money in my opinion.

Regards

Kelvin.

I've got the Realflight G3.5 and have used it for about 2 years. It enabled both myself and my 3 boys to learn how to fly with much more confidence. I was able to learn how to fly different models & try out some tricks without fear. It has helped considerably with learning to land in cross winds & with unknown aircraft failures. This has already saved me one aircraft.
I believe it has been the best investment I've made, and I'm sure without it I may well have given up after my second real crash.

• 2 weeks later...
FMS and Reality Craft simulators, have enabled me to re enter RC flying with the minimum of fuss.

Both provide a range of aircraft (simulations) which vary greatly in their characteristics (which can be user modified within parameters, with Reality Craft) and Reality craft allows differing weather conditions.

How real are they?

I get the impression that this does vary with your processor and the resolution of your monitor.

I believe both have saved me both time and money, with these products. You can always get better (however you define better), but is it necessary?

Regards

Erfolg

• 2 weeks later...
Does any one know much about the tru-flite 3d simulator? I have a copy that i am trying to get to work and I keep getting an error message on start up about invalid pixel format with the z buffer, I'm running windows xp opperating system and have tried all the different compatability modes. If any one out there has any ideas they will be gratefully recieved.

Martyn,what you will find with all the "non-free" simulators is that the flight characteristics are so much more like the real models (although none will be perfect). I guarantee that you'll find it much easier (and more realistic) using Pheonix, or any of the other more upmarket sims.