RC Flight Simulators

mfin

I started with FMS and brought a cable from America for my Futaba tx. As a beginner at the time this was excellent and I still use it today on my laptop. As with all simulators finding the airfield can be fun unless you use a background with usable landmarks.

I have recently bought IPACS Aerofly Delux and use this on my desktop PC. I personally actually found the models flew more true to life on FMS, with the IPACs models all being very floatly. IPACs however offers competions which help to develop skills ... balloon bursting with a fixed wing is fun! Designed for higher spec PCs the IPACs has far better scenery and model graphics. IPACs also includes some nice jet models including the VTOL Harrier.

• 2 weeks later...
I feel you could only ever use fms as a base to play with the planes, to get an idea of your position in the sky and to get familiar with orientation. AFPD (aerofly pro deluxe) gives you the option to prop hang, Knife edge and a whole lot more. I have crashed alot of planes since taking up model flying, AFPD has tought me loads about the different attitudes of each plane. Its also given me a chance to destroy a few heli's.
I would fully recomend getting afpd for learners or those windy wet days you can't get out on the field.

p.s. If you already have AFPD heres a pic with my baloon popping time on it, See how ya get on :)

[

To Nick Spencer,

your invalid pixel format with the z buffer error is a DirectX issue, I think. If you go to this link...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794069.aspx
That should explain it in as much detail as you like. Basically, the latest DirectX should sort it. I like FMS...better still...its free and you can do all sorts with it. What I mean is..it's very tweekable and there's loads of stuff available for free download. Ive tried a couple of sim demos and think that FMS is as good as anything for learning the ropes on. Hope the directX link helps you out..if you have any troublr, I'll be happy to help. ( If I can)lol

the best of flight smulators ? To anyone thinking of buying a sim I would recommend RC Plane Master from Reality Craft. Disc, usb cable and Tx all for £19.99. The graphics and control are superb. Good range of aircraft from electic slow fly to the BX-1 rocket powered. Extra models and landscapes can be downloaded from members area. Also good range of options and no calibration problems, if fact no problems ! Downside ? no helicopters

Hi all, I have tried the free FMS and it was great to start with, then I bought the Reality Craft that Ivor just mentioned. It would not load on my computer (error message saying something about system 32) but it loaded on a more modern computer and its fantastic. You can set up problems with electrics, structure or radio. You can change the weather. All the seperate parts of the aircraft are modeled separately so if you land wing first it breaks off. How real do you want it for £20? Al

• 10 months later...

ATTENTION REALFLIGHT G4 USERS.

Knife Edge forums the home of free downloads
( http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/downloads.php)  have been talking about the issue of the Add ons Vol 1-5 not working with G4.
They have been trying to rectify the position and have arranged a free download for G4 users of Vol 1 and Vol 2 .
See http://www.knifeedge.com/forums/showthread.php?p=113207#post113207
A similar arrangement for vols 3,4 and 5 will be apparently coming in due course.
Bill

I'm as new to r/c aeros as is possible and ive been using the free download FMS for 2 days, its a pain using the keyboard but i can only get a few models off the ground it seems most wont lift off using the keyboard as control, i have a skysport6 and reading this thread i'm now thinking of getting a lead if ones available rather than buy one of the all ijn one packages, you know so i can actually get the feel of the tx i'll be using to start with.

I also have to say using this sim i have now completed a takeoff short flight then landed..YAAAAA!!!!   Where i landed is anyones guess but at least i done it so big thanks to the guy who recomended the sim to me.

cheers mate,

Steve. 

• 2 weeks later...

RC     I think I fly my own mode ie rudder and elevator on right hand stick the other two on left han stick. Probably as 30 yrs ago there was no help. however planemaster can be easly changed to any  mode you want as has been suggested. I bought one 4 weeks ago and my grandson of 6 yrs can now fly  a ARF 4 channel  high wing airoplane. Best £19.99 I have spent in a long time

Thamks for that Gary, I mentioned to the better half that I will get one next payday and she expressed an interest in having a go. Who knows I might just have to get her a real (model - in case she reads this and gets ideas,) plane as well !

is it just me, or are the models in Aerofly hard to get out of shape? Am I missing some setting, as I can't seem to get anything to flick or spin through abuse. I did pull the wings of the 747 though

The Realitycraft Planemaster jobbie given away with subscriptions was just the opposite, impossible to fly any model as they would flick on take off, until I discovered a dry joint in the 'transmitter' was causing erratic control function. I ended up taking the circuit board out of the supplied case and fitting it in an old Micron transmitter. Much better all round!

• 8 months later...

I've tried the RC Planemaster, realflight G3.5, reflexXTR, Aerofly deluxe and the Phoenix and I find the Phoenix to be the one I use mostly.  The RC Planemaster is an excellent first sim for fixed wing.  The Realflight 3.5 is too easy to land but otherwise great fun.  It has an online flying function and you can also fly from the cockpit view in some scenery's.  But the best fun with the G3.5 is to fly a powered plane (I like jets) from the slope and switch off the engine (keyboard K I believe) as soon as you take off.  Instant PSS.

In short;  RC Planemaster for price, Phoenix for learning to fly if price is no object.

One good thing about the tranny supplied with RC Planemaster is you can fly all day and no flat batteries, onless you use a LiPo battery for your tranny as I do.  I've flown for 10 hours on the sim and never got below 11.5 volts.