Acrowot Mk2 Fuel Tank

alan p

Having trouble with my Acrowot Mk2 ARTF fuel tank losing the bung. Gradually easing out then unsealing the tank . Cowl fills with fuel but not the fuselage as the neck and bulkhead is sealed with silicone sealant.

Are there any commercially available tanks that will fit the same dimension's available in the fuselage and keep sealed.

Advert

I've never heard of a bung coming out....loose & leaking yes.....but coming out? Never. Is the central screw tight enough? Once fully tightened & the bung expanded the tank shouldn't leak......& the bung should stay in place.

If you can't tighten the screw then maybe replace the bung with a new one that you can tighten. Easier than modifying the tank bay to take a new tank.....

Do Ripmax list the AW tank as a spare part I wonder...

Unfortunately yes Steve I too have had a bung come out but on the Wot 4 ARTF , the same junk I would imagine so don't even think of a replacement from Ripmax even if they do them.

Du Bro or Sullivan for me too Percy .

Edited By Justin K. on 09/07/2016 08:16:50

Edited By Justin K. on 09/07/2016 08:17:04

never had a problem with the old square type slec tanks they work and don't leak, you just got to get the right size silicone tube to fit.

BUT if you go on their sight they do lots of other types round , oblong and even petrol types and i have use them with no issues and all at a good competitive price too my first stop for tanks now.

If in doubt about your supplied tank just get a new reliable one for piece of mind etc

mind you I had a lot of problems with tanks supplied with artf in the past so i just replace as a matter of course with out thinking about it

Edited By flight1 on 09/07/2016 09:27:38

As Flight1 says. 2 club mates lost a wot 4 each when they first appeared on the market. Both experienced builders. The tank bungs both worked loose. Resulting in two crashes. Stock artf tanks...not worth the packaging they come in.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/07/2016 09:24:07:

ALL you guys are proficient and experienced, and mechanically sympathetic, you are good at setting up models.

But some readers are not as experienced, and overtighten, and are not adept with bungs yet,

Just spare a thought for those not as blessed as you folk please.

I'm not sure of the point your trying to make ? Alan has had problems with a tank supplied with an ARTF kit , We have confirmed its a fault common to this kit , we have also suggested replacement options , I'm sure Alan will be able to measure his original faulty tank & replace it with a suitable sized alternative from one of the brands mentioned above.

I suspect that many of us came from the background of building from kits/plans and have been used to planning our own fuel tank installations which later recruits haven't benefitted from.

I'm happy to use any of the tanks mentioned and tend to select by each particular installation. I often use SLEC but they aren't infallible - I've had several over the years that have leaked at the joint between the translucent tank and the coloured cap from new and installing the nipple can be a bit of a trial as the threads aren't always perfectly formed. However, once installed, I've found them to be trouble and maintenance free - expanding bungs do seem to settle over time and need retightening...and I've seen necks split by over zealous efforts. The Kavan (IIRC) ones are well designed in this respect as they have reinforcing rings to tighten against.

One other tip with SLEC tanks is to apply a dab of silicon sealant to the filler/vent pipes area after installation to ensure the pipes are firmly anchored to the tank. 

Edited By Martin Harris on 09/07/2016 10:14:02

You don't have to install the Dubro  tank as shown with the longest flat side as the base. I know of one installation where the tank is on edge, ( I've done this myself) makes no difference to the fuel delivery.

Edited By cymaz on 09/07/2016 10:15:34

Hi Everyone

It seems there is a case of poor quality tanks as supplied ( probally from the same company as supplies their glue!!). I am still flying a model built in 1985 (well before ARTF) with its original tank, following your many suggestions for those to look for I will measure up the original and search out a quality replacement. Thankyou one and all

Alan