Are all aeromodellers aviation enthusiasts?

ChrisB

Having been brought up on aircraft and always look to the sky whenever anything fly's overhead, I've always assumed that if someone takes up aeromodelling its because..in part because they are interested in all elements of aviation but do it in model form instead and sometimes as well as full size.

Several comments from fellow club members in recent weeks got me thinking. One chap told me a few months ago he'd seen a Lancaster fly over, when actually it was Sally B, the B17. Someone has recently told me that my Flair Stearman was a Tiggie and that my 1/4 scale Chippie was a Harvard and told someone else their Decathlon was a cub. I assumed that all aeromodellers like all things flying...some i know don't like to fly in a full size aircraft of any kind in case it crashes..they tell me they don't really understand how a plane fly's and how on earth a 400 tonne plane can get off the ground....I find that bizarre!

Over to you folks....are you an aviation enthusiast who can tell the difference between a Hurricane and a Spitfire or do you just like to fly model aeroplanes?

Advert

I suppose it's a bit like cars. There are those that love driving, there are those that love cars, and there are those that love driving AND love cars. I guess you could call the latter 'enthusiasts'. Same goes for aircraft (full size or models) I guess!.

Edited By Essjay on 15/08/2016 08:24:37

Never confuse enthusiasm with actual knowledge!
"All" is also a very big word
I suspect that the vast majority would have an interest in aviation - but that the actual level of knowledge people possess is very variable.
You can see that on here, if we discuss some aspect of aviation history there will be those with a sound, but basic, knowledge of the facts; those that do not really know and a few whose depth of knowledge on the most obscure elements of aviation history frankly amazes me!
BEB

Some folk are all knowing but many just like building and flying models. one chap at our club builds the models and his wife flies them!

I dare say that the differences will be more notable in the years to come as multi rotor fliers transfer to fixed wing with no idea how anything works or the differences between different aircraft.

Does that make your enjoyment any less, or your flying ability any less, than someone who knows the difference betwixt a Clark Y and an Eiffel 400 profile?

I have always been a fan of air shows, especially really noisy ones! I have also had a few lessons (PPL) but found them rather boring, I am now a full size glider pilot, and absolutely love it, such a sense of panic that I might not make it home. Also I have to fly the thing constantly, looking for lift.

I enjoy my models, but it comes second best I'm afraid. I enjoy building them more than flying. That's why I have five completed models that are still not been airborne as yet.

I'm told that the first thing that I took any interest in from my pram was aircraft - and not much has changed since I was watching the output of the nearby Handley Page and de Havilland factories being test flown.

My eyesight must have deteriorated over the first few years as it precluded a flying career but I spent many happy years flying and instructing in gliders and although I've never been a true aircraft anorak (I can tell a Mk XIV Spitfire from a Mk V but would struggle with many others), I've always maintained a keen interest in all things flying and never pass up the chance to get my feet off the ground.

Edited By Martin Harris on 15/08/2016 12:02:42

I took up aeromodelling as a substitute for the sailing and serious cycling I had to give up after a bad cycling accident which damaged my spine. I started with model racing yachts but the nearest club is 30 miles away and driving in modern traffic I find terminally boring (I enjoy driving in France) so, realising there was air everywhere I started aeromodelling. Like most boys in the 40s and 50s I'd built a few rubber powered models but they never flew well and as soon as I was 16 it was motor bikes all the way

I've always been fairly practical and enjoyed working and competing on motor cycles for years so both building and flying appeals. Despite spending over 30 years working in the aerospace industry (Rolls-Royce) I've never been a huge aeroplane enthusiast though the so-called golden age (1920s/1930s) has always had an attraction for all types of transport.

So whilst full size aircraft interest me and I enjoy looking at them I wouldn't describe myself as an enthusiast as I was for motor cycles, sailing and cycling.

Geoff

Sadly I now live where people probably recognise sheep more than they do aircraft, (South Wales).

My B-25 has been called a Lancaster, " I recognised it by the two fins ... " frown

I was once asked if my Dauntless, " was a Tiger Moth ", may have realised it wasn't a Spitfire, and probably the only other name they could remember . frown

I was hooked at an early age, 60+ years ago, probably like building more than flying, but not really interested in full size anymore, some how they lost their magic.

My early route of free flight, control-line, single channel, then multi, may be the reason I rate myself a true addict, (to models).

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 15/08/2016 13:15:36