I need a Park Flyer...I think?

Vic Clare 1

Post retirement now and as a returning i.c. pilot my power club site is too far away ( 60 mile round trip), for those impromptu flying sessions when I've got an hour before dinner is on the table.

I'm looking for an electric powered model with small span 30" -36" or so inches, either three or 4 channel ARTF that I can sling in the car assembled, perhaps running S3 lipos. My days as an adrenalin junkie are now well behind me and I'm looking for something that will fly sedately at low throttle but at the same time when the stick goes forward will have some aerobatic performance a' la the trusty Wot 4. Its also gotta handle a bit of wind say up to 15 MPH which in my part of the Hampshire countryside is predominantly a South Westerly.

As I've recently started flirting with electrics I've an open mind and nothing is ruled out and would greatly appreciate any insights or recommendations from anyone with more experience of electrics and Park Flyers. than me , which is pretty much everyone at this point.

VC

Advert

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Wot 4 foam e. Which I use at the club's power site and you're spot on about its performance.

On this occasion i'm really looking for a smaller model that I can just sling in the car fully assembled and whizz off to the park with for the odd half hour and give me that 'quick flying fix'.

I've read horror stories of too small models that just don't cut it! Im hoping to avoid those by tapping into the experience of flyers who've already trodden the path I'm on.

VC

All the models suggested are good options, but most are a fair bit bigger than requested by the OP. If he really does want to fly in smallish spaces I would suggest something like the EFlite Night Visionnaire (the unlit version is no longer available).

Yes on paper it is still bigger than requested and specced for 3D, but tone down the throws and all that wing area and conservative platform makes it an innocuous but nimble machine capable of flying quite slowly in smaller spaces. It is also stabilised, which enables it to fly in more wind than expected for a model of similar size and weight. I don't own one but having test flown one for someone else I was both surprised and impressed - a really good jack of many (if not all) trades!

PS - Also consider the Durafly Hyperbipe or Mpx Stuntmaster or Parkmaster Pro, though I think all these would be slightly faster than the Visionnaire.

Edited By MattyB on 11/09/2016 20:06:59

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 11/09/2016 20:52:42:

Some good suggestions here. Also take a look at the Park Zone Extra 300. Great flier, will do slow, will do "the book". Will fit in the boot of a decent size car fully rigged. Not cheap true - but a spot on little plane.

BEB

+1

I have one, it flies great yes

Don't know if  THIS  is still available but it is the right size, slow if need be, or open the taps and fly it like ya stole it, it also disassemble's to fit in the box it came in so travels well on aircraft or the like for not too much extra cash.

Edited By Tony Richardson on 12/09/2016 08:27:55

Edited By Tony Richardson on 12/09/2016 08:56:38

i've just maidened a Little Stick bought ready to cover off E-Bay from Greyfish. 20" span, it says for .049 glow but I put an 80W 2S setup in it and it flies a treat. Very nicely pre-built balsa kit, I'd think any of these kits would make nice park flyers. He seems to build batches of models so it's worth watching him (in the E-Bay sense!face 3)