why do people feel compelled to build such small aircraft?

Nev Haycox

Advert

I think I've seen a YouTube video of a 1:1 scale model of a CriCri so there's at least one with a receiver and pilot on the ground.

Amazing though isn't it? Not sure I'd want to trust my life to a model gas turbine having spent a large part of my working life indirectly working with the test full size ones. They're slightly less reliable.

Geoff

This one flew just fine...

Wikipedia image of an unauthorized home built, displayed at the Finnish Air Force Museum .

Apparently, the guy had about 70 hours on it - but then he got tracked down after being spotted on radar in 1977. According to the Finnish Wikipedia article, he has built 2 or 3 more after this one, and been caught flying. Avid modeller, using pretty mundane materials.... No pilot training or formal engineering education.

Edited By perttime on 26/09/2016 18:07:08

Officially, you have to condemn him: totally illegal. But privately people admire him.

He got fined for flying this first one. Somebody bought the airplane and it ended up in the museum. He couldn't quit, so bought a new Volkswagen engine and built a second improved airplane - and got in trouble for flying it. At some point his propeller was confiscated to keep him grounded. After a while he carved another. There's at least one more airplane...

He should be about 70 years old now. There's a news article of his latest aviation offense in 2014. Google translation: **LINK**

Hi Perttime , I love this  Finnish Mr. Raimo Paatalo self-taught amateur pilots. Ten years after , a German Mathias Rust , a hero of our time, landed on the Red Square in Moscow. There are still a real open-minded characters ... and it makes me happy.smile p

Note: All this happened due to small planes .

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/09/2016 19:53:00

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/09/2016 19:56:44

• 3 years later...

Two things:-

Firstly I do not think that the Baby Bird should hold a record. It only ever flew straight lines down the runway and only to gain the record entry.

To me , an aircraft shoiuld be, like in the McReady prize, able to perform at least a return journey.

I also think that it is not the smallest. Bob Starr's Bumble Bee ii was smaller in every dimension.

BUT !!!

I love these small aircraft and would like to build moidels of each. If anyone would like to share plans I would be deeply grateful.

P.s. If anyone can help me with info about wIlbur Staib's Little bit, (Little bastard _ lb2)

I would be deeply indebted.

Liz

Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 25/09/2016 20:27:19:

Hi Nev , I think there is an international conspiracy (may order )...so... to full size airplane must be small and airplane models must be large ... I see no other reason face 1 laugh teeth 2.,..lol...

Off post, we thought you were dead. Glad you survived.