Exploding battery

George R. Vale

I posted the following e-mail to Ripmax on Wednesday 21st. September. There has been no response to date:

<<Dear Sirs,

Battery Charger

Whilst recharging a Rx battery using a Ripmax-Futaba charger model no. P-FBC32D/4 the battery exploded. The model it was in was damaged and slightly charred. Fortunately it did not catch fire, or, given the amount of inflammable material in my workshop, the house could have burnt down.

The battery was damaged beyond certain recognition but was very likely a pack of four 2/3A size 1100mAh Ni-MH cells supplied by Batteries Plus on 16/4/2014.

The charger was bought from HobbyStores on 16/12/2014. It is claimed to be "Suitable for Ni-Cd and Ni-MH batteries." (Photo attached.)

Please advise whether this charger is normally suitable for the type of Ni-MH cells I was using. If so perhaps you would like to comment as to whether the charger may have been defective in some way so as to cause this explosion. I have noticed that the 5-cell Tx battery in my Futaba T6J Tx gets hot when using this charger, so I wonder if the "peak detect charge termination" circuitry might have failed?

If the P-FBC32D/4 is unsuitable for the application perhaps you could advise me which charger I should use?

Yours etc.>>

I attached a few pictures of the damage and of the charger. Readers please contact me if you would like to see the pix.

Unless someone knows better, I would like to warn all users of Ni-MH batteries NOT to charge them overnight.

George R.Vale [email protected]

I've always been a bit dubious over dual purpose NiMH and NiCd chargers that are supposed to autosense which battery they are charging. Many years ago, I made the mistake of putting a battery on charge "just in case" as I couldn't remember if I'd used it a few days before. The next morning, the battery was in a very deranged state - luckily without having set fire to the model - and I've always presumed that it had decided I was charging a 5 cell pack and carried on pumping in 1A all night until the cells ruptured.

I too have had problems with peak detect chargers not stopping when they should and recently posted a thread on the subject. 600mA would sound reasonable to me for a fastish charge and the charger should have no problem in detecting the peak provided that it is set for the correct type of cells. A charge rate set too low could cause a problem as I found out to my cost. Tried a consumer cell type charger for rechargeable batteries (eneloop 1900) for a Tx which can use dry cells and this refused to stop. They got quite hot but were OK.

Best advice is to get a reputable charger.

Lucky escape!

Nimh and peak detect and a cheap fast charger = not a good mix.

Nimh fast charge ideally needs a temperature probe which responds to a negative temperature changes as well as a maximum temperature, peak voltage detection (and far more sensitive than nicd), negative voltage change detection, and a timeout for the fast charge (which means the charger needs to know the size of the pack).

Or, trickle charge them at 5% of C for 24 hours.

There was a lot to be said for the robustness of nicd.

"600mA would sound reasonable to me for a fastish charge and the charger should have no problem in detecting the peak provided that it is set for the correct type of cells"

600mA charge rate into a 1100mAh pack is almost the worst rate to use on nimh. The voltage peak is very weak at this charge rate. A full 1100mAh charge rate would be better.

Edited By SuperNash on 29/09/2016 13:26:10

Tony

Most any rate is ok with nicd. They're tough as boots and easy to deal with, in an electronic sense, for the charger.

The difference is with the peak detection stuff, which fast chargers use as the first (and sometimes only) method of sensing when the battery is full. On a nicd, when you go to "only just past full", the cell voltage drops quite fast, but with a nimh, the voltage drop is much slower.

The result of this, is the nimh charger has to be more sensitive to this voltage drop. This of course originally meant a bit more developed circuit with more & better components and a bit more cost. Manufacturers looking to make a budget charger would have had a sketchy peak detection (which brings the risk of overcharging). These days, cheap chargers just use a controller chip - the chip has to be set up right though, again, something you'd trust is done with a reputable charger, possibly not with a cheap one.

The voltage thing is best explained with a picture (see http://www.mpoweruk.com/chargers.htm) , note the difference between the blue and green curves:

Nimh will show a bigger peak drop with higher rate charges (~ 1C). But a slower (~0.5 C) rate gives a very subtle drop - bad news if your peak detection is a bit borderline.

As Martin said, best advice, get a reputable charger.

Best advice is to get a reputable charger.

Yes but many would say that Futaba is a reputable manufacturer.

There has been a lot of profound wisdom about charge rates deta peak etc. on this string

However this is a bit of consumer equipment supplied by a reputable manufacturer and it would appear that it was used correctly for the correct purpose

You should not need to be a bar room electronics expert to charge a toy aeroplane with the manufacturers supplied kit We dont get profound and complicated when we charge our phones etc

Something was clearly wrong here Having saidd that Futaba are spectacularly vague about batteries, voltage settings on the 6 and 8 j

Thanks for all those swift replies. Obviously none of you work at Ripmax

Dennis Watkins -- the info. has clearly passed me by, ISTM suppliers should be shouting it a bit louder. Taking batteries out of models on a regular basis would be impractical for most of us though.

Geoff Sleath -- You're right, there's a whole list of Futaba chargers that have been recalled and I've got two of the damn things. I'm appalled that Ripmax couldn't be bothered simply e-mail me to return the charger.

Others --`cheap charger' etc. -- so where should I get a better charger than the manufacturer's own, to charge 5-cell Tx and 4-cell Rx? I bought the only one I could find listed and this is what happens. I never wanted a fast charger anyway!

In my view, a charger gives electrons in, out, can cycle a battery, and can do as asked. The batteries as supplied by maunfacturers, or others are unproven, and suspect. Best tested before flight, by a proper charger. And it is not as supplied by the manfacturer.

In other words, spend a few quid.

And in all fairness, a Nimh should not be hot. That is a clue you are doing the equivalent of hitting a dog with a wrecking bar.

Wisdom is having a profound believe that you are being fed marketing lies. I tell the truth.