What is the difference ??

ericrw

Advert

DSMX is better. However a DSM2 would work with old DSM2 Rx and older cheap RX whilst a DSMX only wouldn't. Some DX6i are both DSMX and DSM2. Later ones ( imported after Jan 2015 ) cannot be DSM2 due to EU regulations so they are DSMX only.

As I understand it

DSM2 selects 2 frequencies and hops between them.

DSMX hops about a much bigger number of frequencies and I believe 'listens' before changing.

If you fly in a relatively quiet RC environment DSM2 works fine but if you fly with lots of transmitters turned on (a big fly-in for example) it can get confused. My otherwise 'rock solid' DSM2 certainly did and on 3 separate occasions!

When DSM2 was in fashion Eric, I bought the Orange Tx and a few RX for indoor flying, as at the time, I was still on 35mhz, and the Orange gave me a £49 Tx entry into 2.4 gig, as it would then bind to ARTF warbirds and the like for indoor with multiple pilots operating. With correct installation and battery monitoring, there were no problems

DSMX is now the Authorised signal and you are at the crossroads. DSMX are available in the £69 range and will expand your capability. DSMX is all that you can buy with this manufacturer now, and is the immediate future with this make

Changes in the EU regulations killed DSM2 off in Europe back in 2015 (more detailed info here), so no RXs or TXs that use it are available any more though they are sold elsewhere in the world. DSMX is a hybrid of FHSS (Full Hopping Spread Spectrum) and DSSS (Direct Sequencing Spread Spectrum) so in theory is more resilient than protocols that only rely on FHSS, though in real world operation there doesn't seem to be any resiliency advantage unless you are operating in an exceptionally congested environment (i.e. >50 models operated concurrently). Finally it looks like the DX6i is now end of life and is being replaced by the DX6e which is based on the Airware software used in all other Spek sets.

I have an older DSM2 Rx and it works with several DSMx receivers I use, it's the other way round if you have a DSMx only Tx then the DSM2 rxs won't work. But from what I understand there are now some DSMx receivers that won't work with a DSM2 only transmitter. A bit confusing, but if your DSM2 Tx won't bind with the DSMx rx in the Apprentice then the DSMx rx in that isn't DSM2 compatible.