Advert

Another on my build list, C.A. de Felice's Maricardo; A 56in span aerobatic Classic updated by Paul Strawson for 40+ size 2-stroke, 52-61 4-stroke or electric conversion. Another model with a thick wing section and benign handling. The original had a bit of dihedral too which made it a good first aileron model. The only downside, perhaps a lot of people have built one already?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 16/10/2016 22:17:42:

Another on my build list, C.A. de Felice's Maricardo; A 56in span aerobatic Classic updated by Paul Strawson for 40+ size 2-stroke, 52-61 4-stroke or electric conversion. Another model with a thick wing section and benign handling. The original had a bit of dihedral too which made it a good first aileron model. The only downside, perhaps a lot of people have built one already?

A classic, and very attractive. Might get some takers

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 16/10/2016 21:58:43:

I didn't manage to finish my last three mass builds so will sit this one out and try and get one of them finished!!

Shuffles into line with the rest of the suspects

Similarly guilty as charged - well, one that didn't get started and one that got halfway. Having had my conscience pricked I might just dust that one off and finish it, while we're waiting for the vote/choice for this MB

Another classic for consideration, the Astro Hog and its siblings. The plans are available for download from the usual sources.

The original Hog is 72" span, but there are also 48" and 36" (Mini Hog) versions as well.

The full size SIG kit is available at a price, but you would rather cut your own wood wouldn't you?

Here is my leccy powered Mini Hog:

Astro Hog

Sparks

Posted by Sparks on 17/10/2016 09:42:52:

Another classic for consideration, the Astro Hog and its siblings. The plans are available for download from the usual sources.

The original Hog is 72" span, but there are also 48" and 36" (Mini Hog) versions as well.

The full size SIG kit is available at a price, but you would rather cut your own wood wouldn't you?

Sparks

I did a 25 sized astro hog for the vintage MB a few years ago. It was a superb flier - far more agile than it's bigger brother. It came to the end of its life when a tree jumped out in front of it while coming n very fast from very high. 120 people witnessed that event. Much to my embarrassment.

happy to build another although the full size original is definitely not a beginners model if you follow the plan exactly

Martyn

One of the simplest twins I recall is Peter Millers Aztec two Step from Dec 1991. Just 33in span and sporting a couple of Cox Pee Wees for power. Would make an easy electric conversion with a couple of ten gram out-runners. If you had a couple of Babe Bees in your inventory you could upscale it by 25% or so but you would be nobody's friend down at the patch with those two little screamers running! As well as the Grumpy Tigercub RCM&E plan. Peter also designed the Grumpy Skylark (49in span for two .15s) which was featured in the other magazine (March2015) wink 2. Both models feature lots of wing area and a skinny fuz. which bodes well for nice handling.

For the Mass Build I think simple builds are probably the order of the day as the aim is to appeal to novice builders and perhaps a quick build for the more experienced?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/10/2016 11:11:43

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/10/2016 11:14:29

Hi to everybody concerned,

"Me thinks this isn't a good un"...

Seriously, the MB 2017 should need some 'guidance' from now on to be able to have the success rate of the 2016 one. Maybe one of the Mods should take it on his shoulders and bring it to a good end...

Personally I still think Gary's 'Rizla+' is a very 'renewing' project but I can also stick to the Svenson Vicomte 1915 monoplane possible solution.

Cheers to all

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 23/10/2016 18:55:42:

Hi to everybody concerned,

"Me thinks this isn't a good un"...

Seriously, the MB 2017 should need some 'guidance' from now on to be able to have the success rate of the 2016 one. Maybe one of the Mods should take it on his shoulders and bring it to a good end...

Personally I still think Gary's 'Rizla+' is a very 'renewing' project but I can also stick to the Svenson Vicomte 1915 monoplane possible solution.

Cheers to all

Chris

No not looking a good un Chris, is there enough interest is the question i'm thinking ?

John

I personally don't have any more suggestions as to models to add to the voting pool - I think there are some pretty good candidates out there. My money's on a KF3, because I like the idea of marking the 50th anniversary, and I want a retro pattern ship anyway; but I'm also happy to build a basic 3d if the vote goes that way (and I'll build the KF3 separately). Time to set up a voting thread perhaps? Mods?

cheers

Simon

The flea fli is my preferred choise as it's the right size for all of the 3s 2200 I have lying around, but all of the fli series are much the same only larger. A smaller version of the 3D might be an option but I think I will build a FF anyway. Not much activity on the mass build up to yet !! Are we a bit early or not so much interest this year 😕

Paul.