Advert

All the experienced builders who have replied so far have different models in mind!   However for the Mass Build perhaps it's better to choose a simple model that would suit first time builders and yet be a useful addition to anybodys hanger. Something that makes it worthwhile for the experts to build to show the way yet easy enough for first timers. Something from a plan - preferably an RCME plan or some online plan that we can print out ourselves.

Martyn K showed a fun fly design in course of construction last week and that is the sort of model we might consider. But it needs to be a design already proven ( Martyn's Kanga is still at the design & build stage I think ) I cannot actually think of an RCME design of fun fly that is really simple to build but there is the Swizzle Stick from RCMW.

Edited By kc on 03/10/2016 15:56:41

Because the experienced builders will never all agree on what they want to build perhaps we should be thinking " what design would be simple enough for newcomers yet still interesting and useful enough to get some experts involved"

A fun fly design would seem to satisfy both aspects.

I am quite new to plan building and am just finishing off Max Z’s “Wiggo” free plan from the July, 2015 magazine. Other than gluing in the finished wing it has been a real fun project. I think any beginner could learn a lot while putting this one together.

Wiggo would be popular, many must have been completed already. Not really a beginners model from a flying perspective perhaps?

The Basic 3D by Mike Keay might be popular, it was a free plan a few years ago so there is a build article somewhere. I remember from the article that you could build it in either two spans, the longer one made a great  trainer with its low wing loading and thick section. The short span one with high rates made a good introduction to 3D flying. It looked like a quick build, even quicker if you bought the CNC set of parts. It's been on my 'must build' list for a while.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/10/2016 07:05:03

Piers,

I am just moving on from novice flyer and have built two Wiggos for myself, I found it a delight to fly, no nasty vices at all. Not sure I want to build another for the winter build. I fancy a biplane as I have never built one. I have a Wots Wot and it flies beautifully.

Posted by Glyn44 on 04/10/2016 09:56:22:

Piers,

I am just moving on from novice flyer and have built two Wiggos for myself, I found it a delight to fly, no nasty vices at all. Not sure I want to build another for the winter build. I fancy a biplane as I have never built one. I have a Wots Wot and it flies beautifully.

I met Max at Greenacres, what a nice guy. His Wiggo looked very lively, probably the way it was set up. I have been sorely tempted to build one myself as it is 'different' but too many other things on the go at present. Probably it wouldn't take very long either. I just thought the Basic 3D looked relaxing to fly for someone getting into RC with its thick, blunt wing section and lots of wing area, -particularly the longer winged version.

I scratch built a Limbo Dancer from the plan a few years ago and it was certainly a very quick build. All the ribs are the same and the wing is in one piece, built flat on the board. I don't suppose the Basic 3D is much different but it seems expensive for what it is with the plan/wood pack combo at £120.

My Limbo is very easy to fly and could be used as a trainer almost with reduced control throws. Mine had an MDS 38 then a Super Tigre 34 and finally I converted it to electric. It flew well in all guises as I'm sure the Basic 3D would.

Geoff

Just as an idea I had from last year, why have a long list, reduced to a short list to vote on, then nobody agrees on a winner. Why not just say from 01/01/16 to 31/12/16, any free plan in RCME between those dates is included in the mass build? That gives everyone a choice of 12/13 models to choose from? Just a thunk....(ducks for cover) smile p