Help, con rod removal from OS max Sf 61

Steve Porter 1

Evening All, i am trying to replace the bearings in said engine, everything has been removed without problems i now have to remove the con rod. the problem is the con rod sits in a grove within the crankcase so any position apart from top dead center the rod will not have room to be pulled off, at TDC it will move aprox half way off the crank pin then the piston stops it moving any further. am i missing a trick?

Steve

Advert

How would get the gudgeon/piston/wrist pin out when the piston is still in the cylinder? Even with the liner removed as Steve says he's already done, there wouldn't be room. Somehow, in some position there's got to be enough room to pull the big end off the crankpin.

Geoff

There should be a hole in the back of the crank case.When the gudgeon pin is lined up with this you will probaaby see a teflon pad in the end of the pin. I normally remove this with a thin self tepping screw just screwed in enought to grip. IT shoul pull the pin out with it. If not then further gentle screwing into the hollow pin will remove it.

Some pistons have a fine wire circlip to retain the gudgeon pin.These are removed with very thin nosed pliers. This can be "fun" as can replacing them.

Steve has said that he has removed the liner, and SF engines don't have a hole in the crankcase to pull out the gudgeon pin so I'll go with the suggestion that there's some gunge stopping the rod sliding back on the gudgeon pin. I've stripped SF 61s many times and occasionally I've needed to tease the rod back with pliers in order to clear the crankpin. Try the hot water or solvent inside the piston, it should allow the rod to ease back far enough to come off at TDC.

Evening all, well engine doctor was correct, a little heat ( more than i would normally use) plus some solvent

and Bingo it came away no probs,it was stuck on the gudgeon pin, must have been hot as the rear bearing came out as the crankshaft was withdrawn and the front bearing didnt take much to push out either.

Thanks to all for your sugestions

Steve.