How to Minimize CRASHING!

Chris gregg

Hello,a few years ago i bought a hobbyzone supercub, AND I MASTERED IT!! could control it very stable! (only rudder to turn like) but i got the hang pretty easy with few nose first crashes, but i feel because it is not a very fast plane it didnt take a battering.

a few years later and a broken supercub (not flying!!, whilst in storage!) i decided i mastered the supercub pretty easy and went out and got a rc t-28 trojon BOY THIS WAS A BAD MOVE! I I threw the plane and managed to get a stable flight circuit going but coming to land it was just to fast, crashed and that was that.

couple of months later i knew i needed something more stable than the trojan, so i went for the **LINK** knowing it was same design as the supercub, only difference this had ailerons.

Took this plane for a fly and again just felt it was to fast and had a hard landing by coming in to fast

i dont understand how i managed to keep the supercub nice and steady and alot of the time rolling on its wheels whilst landing!!

my question is here do i go from here?...im the guy thats asking about the nitro plane build, but am i tackling it wrong, i would like a little park flying to (not to fast, and can just have a trip to the local park) if i was to get the cessna in the link above how can i save it from hard crashes? whats your tips on landing

Hi Chris,

The best and cheapest way is a pal who can fly to use a buddy lead with you. Practice touch and goes with him. Time on the sticks is invaluable. The more the better. Also try a flight simulator. Eventually all will improve, honestly, most of us have been there!

There is a good article here:

**LINK**

Plenty more, along with videos if you do a search " learn to land RC plane" or something similar.

Best of luck take it slowly.

Regards, Glyn

Tips on landing, get used to flying the plane before you attempt a landing and have somebody experienced helping you is probably the best answer.

Just recently we've had a new member and I recommended he get an E-Flite Apprentice (as he'd already bought a Sektrum tx) and it's really easy to fly in the fully stablised mode and flies like a normal trainer when it's switched out, in the fully stablised mode he was landing it straight away. He's now getting to grips with flying it around in a more sensitive mode but switching to the "Easy" mode for landing.

There's another flier with another make which also has a gyro stabliser fitted and it does the same, I can't remember what this is, but they both have electronic aids which help the beginner, which can be switched out to give a more realistic flight.

+1 for flight simulator. The Phoenix flight simulator has a landing practice feature where you can adjust the height above, and the distance from, the landing area. You can practice to your heart's content. This feature is also excellent for teaching yourself to fly towards yourself. A good flight simulator like Phoenix or Realflight - and a couple of others - is not particularly cheap but will surely pay for itself in the long run. They are also good fun.

Ian

right, so ive gone for the eflight apprentice plane, i like the SAFE landing and different modes on the plane so you can fly it in beginner mode etc **LINK**

so now i have my plane (bnf) ive had to pick up a reciever for my specktum dx6 which is online **LINK** << would this be ok? its what the steve webb model shop said i need,

so once i got the plane i will come back to you guys and you can help me set it up, balancing for flight so i dont cock it up!

The plane you show on your link is a BNF, that is Bind and Fly. It should include a Spektrum AR636a receiver which incorporates the SAFE features. You don't need another receiver, your Spektrum DX6 transmitter should bind with the supplied receiver, but be sure to follow the binding instructions to enable the SAFE features.

I would add all the usual recommendations regarding getting help from an experienced flyer, preferably as a member of a local club, they're usually a friendly bunch and will be willing to help. And finally, make sure you have Insurance, you can join the BMFA as a Country ie individual member or through a club to benefit from their included Insurance.

Happy Flying

Chris, it is quite normal for a novice to feel a model fly's too fast, especially for landing. The tendency to really fly too slow, to get some "thinking time", is normal too. It takes many practiced "arrivals" to get a reasonable landing, and even then variables change with wind speed and direction. At least Fly on a Flight Sim Chris, and at best get some help on a buddy lead with your Spectrum. Relaxed flying in the park is achieved by those who can already fly, as they can direct and land the model safely. It is a par to reading all the books on swimming, or playing football. Then you dive in the water, and there is more to it, but it is most enjoyable, you need an instructor.

well i went out today and bought the phoenix 5.5 sim and then just asked at the shop (steve webbs) if they had the eflite apprentice in, they did the bnf so i bought that aswell, not unboxed it yet gonna take it slowly and hopefully meet up with someone at sale or smithy to give it a fly

Beginners model are often too small in my opinion. They give the impression that everything happens instantly and that they fly too fast. Although more convenient for chucking in the car or for storage, I feel they need to be minimum of 40" span, and with a low wing loading. (If you are one of the 'heavy models fly better', just add lead, you can't add lightness for calm days).

Big model do seem easier to fly, and especially easier to see what they are doing. Though you should be in control and leading them round the sky not just watching where they go and adding corrections.

Similar to watching full size airliners landing. They just seem to be going so slow, while doing well over 100mph.

Ditch the micros and park fliers and go big when learning.

Ray.

Edited By eflightray on 21/10/2016 15:04:10

That is just what I was thinking Ray. I think many people starting out in the hobby are tempted by a compact scale model that you can bung in the back of the car fully assembled. Chris's Cessna looks like an attractive option but it is simply too small to be relaxing to fly. The model is small to start with but gets even smaller very quickly once it leaves your hand! It may be foam but it's wing loading is still about 20oz per square foot, so not exactly a floater. A relatively high kv motor, a thin wing section and no dihedral either, suggest a high speed missile - not exactly a beginners model (even if it looks the biz!). Perhaps more dihedral and less electronics would be helpful (showing my age now!)

I think vintage models have a lot to offer those starting out; low wing loadings, thick wing sections ( forgiving and slow flight) BANDED ON WINGS. Junior/Super Sixty type models or if you want smaller, how about the Mini Robot or even the Ghost Rider 38, the free plan in last month's RCM&E? Outerzone is full of such models, the only 'down side' is you have to build them yourself. The upside is you might be able to repair it after a 'mishap' rather than getting your credit card out and having to order a new part, that is, if it is available.

I find some of this quite sad, apologies before I start. I joined a club back in '72 long before gyros , artf etc and learnt withan instructor, no buddybox. Yes it was hard, butvery rewarding and, surprisingly not too many crashes! Although that goes with the territory even flying bigg Pitts at displays and large jets ( recent Saab crash)..I'M not well off but enjoy both building and flying and Artf as well. I dont do Sims but can understand the need and use of them. I just dont understand the lack of need for the challenge any more . Everyone seems to want to buy it and do it tomorrow!

I think Tel summed it up "is it me ?". Before anyone replies I already have a grumpy old git teashirt and also an old guys "the older I get the better it was" sweatshirt!

I support your sentiment fully Geoff in that when I instruct, a decision is made pretty quickly whether to use the buddy on not. The buddy does avoid "the bicycle clips syndrome" far too long, and the shear "terror" factor, when, as you know, the sticks are moved and the maneouver does not go quite to plan. I can hear myself calling "throttle back, wings level, nose up." Of the last 10 novices the mix has been 50\50, with half the boys passing me the one Tx and the other half on the buddy lead. Amazingly, I prefer passing the Tx between us as it focuses the novice acutely. The other times when I feel that a model could be lost too frequently, or the guidance decisions are unsafe, then we stay on the buddy.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 22/10/2016 09:11:25