Dopey question from a leccy beginner

Advert

I am assuming the culprit is the compression adaptor and that the motor is buried inside a cowl?

You can try holding the prop and applying a slight twisting pressure so the prop barrel grips the shaft giving enough purchase to tighten the nut sufficiently tight for the adaptor to grip the shaft

Failing than a dowel can be used to jam/wedge the motor can while you tighten the prop nut

I've resorted to gripping the protruding threaded end of the shaft in a pair of long-nose pliers in the past, just enough to get the nut tightened down enough that the collet grips the shaft. Then holding the prop while applying the final torque.

But Mike's slot idea sounds even better, for my method sometimes slightly damages the threads on the shaft, resulting in similar problems when trying to get the nut off!

Well I think I have solved it with out any sort of prop shaft modifications.

p1040154.jpgI managed to get some pliers on the the prop driver scallops (shown above) through the cowl top to hold the shaft still to allow me to tighten the nut to my satisfaction. Seems to have done the trick. Thanks for all the advice gents.

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 27/10/2016 11:53:20

May not be applicable for Adrian but I file a couple of flats on the prop driver to take a spanner (Actualy as the driver is ali I use a sanding disc) as per attached photos.
For a close fitting spinner I use a thin, cheap stamped metal spanner.

Flat on collet

spanner job

Just a reminder that of course the prop driver needs to be properly tight before flight. I saw a twin go in on takeoff when it spat the adaptor off the motor shaft, a spin ensued before the pilot identified the problem. A couple of months ago I was doing touch and goes with my foam-e Wot4, I powered up and it spat the prop adaptor of the motor while it was on the ground and rolled to a stop. I'll often run the motor with no adaptor on it and touch the spindle with a bit of wet and dry to take the shine off.

Shaunie.